Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a question for you all...

Would it be better to lower the car first, but when I lower I want to swap out the shocks/struts as well at the same time(car has 42000 miles). I am thinking the BMR lowering kit and koni street shock/struts. That adds up to be about $1000. The car right now going over rough roads sounds pretty bumpy (if you get what I mean, like struts/shocks might be going for what ever reason)

Or should I go with wheels and tires first? I am thinking I would like to go 20's (about $1500 with mouting & Balance) but I have to do some more research on how people like their 20's and how comfortability would be affected. The tires I have now are the stock 17's and will need to be relpaced eventually.

I will only be able to do one or the other hopefully by the fall. Then save up again for the other option.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
best to do both at the same time, but since you can only do 1, i would say do the suspension 1st
just bc it seems like yours is going already, so replacing them 1st seems logical

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
i would say suspension! that way it looks REALLY nice when you put the rims on!!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
you might want to replace your stock strut mounts too while your at it.
the stock ones aren't that good.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you might want to replace your stock strut mounts too while your at it.
the stock ones aren't that good.
The BRM Lowering kit does come with that along with Panhard Rod, camber bolts, springs and relocating brackets.

So seems like the consenus is lower first, wheels second. Does anyone know how much a shop might charge me to install all that? I mean I might try myself but over the next few months it is going to be very busy with little free time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Some 20's sure would look nice, but at this point I think you should go with the suspension first only because it's starting to go. If they will be fine till you can save up more money then get wheels first.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Suspension first. Don't go too low but maybe 1"-1.5" would be nice. I'd throw some LCAs on there as well it would be a world of difference. Wheels are nice but I myself wouldnt go over 18" wheels. 20's are nice looking and all but you give up a load of performance.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All are making very good points. I think suspension will be the smart thing first. I was thinking that way but wanted some other personel opinions.

Would these be good for suspension?

2005 - 2011 Mustang GT | Lowering Spring Packages | LSP001 - Lowering Spring Package, Coupe | BMR Suspension - The Leader in High Performance Suspension & Chassis

Struts:

Tokico HP Series Front Strut (05-10) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Tokico HP Series Rear Shock (05-10) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

This is just a DD and I am not racing so I don't think I need an adjustable shock/strut. I just want a lower/aggressive stance and little more smoother.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Suspension first. Don't go too low but maybe 1"-1.5" would be nice. I'd throw some LCAs on there as well it would be a world of difference. Wheels are nice but I myself wouldnt go over 18" wheels. 20's are nice looking and all but you give up a load of performance.
Thats what I have been reading while doing the search on here. But, damn 20's look good.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All are making very good points. I think suspension will be the smart thing first. I was thinking that way but wanted some other personel opinions.

Would these be good for suspension?

2005 - 2011 Mustang GT | Lowering Spring Packages | LSP001 - Lowering Spring Package, Coupe | BMR Suspension - The Leader in High Performance Suspension & Chassis

Struts:

Tokico HP Series Front Strut (05-10) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Tokico HP Series Rear Shock (05-10) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

This is just a DD and I am not racing so I don't think I need an adjustable shock/strut. I just want a lower/aggressive stance and little more smoother.

Thanks all!

That setup adds up to $1010. Good I would think?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Thats what I have been reading while doing the search on here. But, damn 20's look good.
Yeah if you're not going to be racing your car too much it wouldnt be a big deal with 20"s. Ive never personally talked to anyone with them on an S197 but my buddy had some on his Chevy and his acceleration was garbage with them.

Just make sure the car isnt too low and you dont have clearance issues.

·
Super Moderator
7,921 Posts
Have a question for you all...

Would it be better to lower the car first, but when I lower I want to swap out the shocks/struts as well at the same time(car has 42000 miles). I am thinking the BMR lowering kit and koni street shock/struts. That adds up to be about $1000. The car right now going over rough roads sounds pretty bumpy (if you get what I mean, like struts/shocks might be going for what ever reason)

Or should I go with wheels and tires first? I am thinking I would like to go 20's (about $1500 with mouting & Balance) but I have to do some more research on how people like their 20's and how comfortability would be affected. The tires I have now are the stock 17's and will need to be relpaced eventually.

I will only be able to do one or the other hopefully by the fall. Then save up again for the other option.

Thanks
Thats the same setup I'm going for (the shocks/struts/lowering kit but I have the wheels on the car first.

I already bought the Koni streets and Im just waiting to get the BMR lowering kit.

I say get the wheels and tires first.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I wouldnt go for the Tokiko shocks but stay with your first choice and get the Koni's. Even if you have to wait longer, it will be more than worth it in the long run.

Oh and lower that beast first.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I wouldnt go for the Tokiko shocks but stay with your first choice and get the Koni's. Even if you have to wait longer, it will be more than worth it in the long run.

Oh and lower that beast first.
So go with these instead?

2005 - 2011 Mustang GT | Shocks | 8750 1008 - Koni Shocks, Rear, Street,Pair | BMR Suspension - The Leader in High Performance Suspension & Chassis

2005 - 2011 Mustang GT | Shocks | 8750 1030 - Koni Shocks, Front, Street,Pair | BMR Suspension - The Leader in High Performance Suspension & Chassis

This will bring total price to $1076.

Also why not the tokiko?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Yup those, bu tthey are on sale right now and you can get them cheaper than that. The tokiko's are ok at best. Their lifetime warranty isnt really a lifetime warranty, google it you will see real quick. And Koni dampners have been around for a long time and have shown to perform well over and over agian.

Strano Performance Parts - Part Details

·
Registered
64 Posts
IMO I would recommend lowering the car first. Then drive it on your factory wheel and tire setup to get a feel for it. I lowered my 05 and went with 20" on the biggest tires I could squeeze (which are pretty low profile) and the larger the wheel and smaller the sidewall height of the tire def takes away from the ride quality. I guess it all boils down to whether you want to be comfortable driving or just look good doing it!:eek:

·
Registered
64 Posts
"loads of performance" guess it depends on whether your looking to better your time slip. When it comes to .01 of a second then the rubber to metal ratio of a bigger when can def make a difference. As far as comfortability of the ride. The bigger the wheel and less rubber between the road and your wheel = a less forgiving ride plain and simple. Unless you have a soft and forgiving suspension which from my new found experience is very hard to come by lowered.... :banghead

1 - 20 of 48 Posts