Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently had my 06 Mustang lowered and took it in to an alignment shop. I bought camber bolts to have them adjust my camber when they did the alignment. Well, he didn't install the camber bolts and my camber was off by 1.0 to 1.5 degrees, which was very noticeable.

So, I took it back and he installed the camber bolts and corrected the camber to about 0.5 camber. Now the crazy part, the tires are now straight, but it appears my front suspension has shifted to the right (i.e. my right tire sticks out about 3/4 of an inch more than the left side). How do I correct that? Did they screw up installing the camber bolts?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Camber bolts shouldn't do that, they correct 1/8"-3/16" tops if even that.

Car parked level?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I'm not sure I see any way that that would cause an axle offset like that. You sure the car is level? How did you measure this?

BTW: Ford's "Ideal" spec is .75 degrees negative.

With my BMR springs and no camber adjustment, I'm at .80 onone side (perfect), and 1.2 on the other. That is still within range, and not enough to destroy tires, but there is a .4 split from left to right. But it turns out good because the split causes the car to drive straight on crowned roads (which is every road).

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea my garage is level.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How I checked it was by putting the palm of my hand flat on the fender well and pointing my fingers down. On the left side my tire does not touch my fingers. On the right side the tire pushes my fingers out.....plus you can see it really easily by standing at the back of the car and looking down the sides of the car.

I have no idea how putting camber bolts on would push my right front tire out like that. It is exactly what happened on the rear suspension, but the adjustable panhard bar corrected that.

What can they do to correct this? I can post the alignment sheet they gave me if needed.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
post that. There really isn't any way. Unless the camber was way different from one side to the next, it might just be that the top of the tire is not the same difference from the fender on both sides. Who did the alignment?

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts
I don't see how this is even possible. I would drive it down the street, pull over into a parking lot and check it there. Just to see it on a different surface/location. Really though, frame damage is the only way that could happen...unless your wheel is not seated on the rotor, or rotor not seated on the spindle properly

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
I recently had my 06 Mustang lowered and took it in to an alignment shop. I bought camber bolts to have them adjust my camber when they did the alignment. Well, he didn't install the camber bolts and my camber was off by 1.0 to 1.5 degrees, which was very noticeable.

So, I took it back and he installed the camber bolts and corrected the camber to about 0.5 camber. Now the crazy part, the tires are now straight, but it appears my front suspension has shifted to the right (i.e. my right tire sticks out about 3/4 of an inch more than the left side). How do I correct that? Did they screw up installing the camber bolts?
There is no way the camber bolts can do that. In fact your front suspension cannot just shift over to one side, they are independent of one another. Well I guess if the whole K-member shifted over but then you would have all sorts of issues. How did you measure it. It's got to be some kind of optical illusion thing. Are your wheels straight, how about the fenders? Did they check the toe angle also when they did your alignment? You could have one tire pointed in a different direction making it look like it is sticking out.

The only way the camber bolts could even come close to doing this is if you stuck one in the upper hole and turned it one way on one side, and then on the other side, used the lower hole and turned it the same way. In other words pushing the top of the tire out on one side and pulling the bottom of the tire in on the other side to correct the negative camber. This might make it look like the wheels are uneven. You would have to be a complete moron to do it this way though. If two people worked on your car at the same time they might have done it in opposite holes. 'cause in theory you can use the camber bolts in either the top or bottom, or for that matter both, mounting holes. Either way is an acceptable method of correcting the camber. Check to see that both sides use the same mounting holes for the camber bolts, but I find this highly unlikely.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was a local mechanic shop that did the alignment and they just bought a brand new alignment machine. I'm going to take it to the local Ford dealership and have them look at it. The tires are definitely not turned.

The easy way to explain how I checked it would be take a yard stick and lay it flat up against the fend well with the bottom half of the yard stick even with the wheel hub. If you do that on both sides, one side the tire doesn't even touch yard stick....on the other side the tire push the stick out.

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow.

·
All sissies going to Hell!
5,818 Posts
^ get some pics and drive it around....alot and hard through the corners and see if it changes. I have never heard of the front being all ****ed up like that.....the back maybe but not the front.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts