Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done yesterday cutting my stock springs. (I don't have money for lowering springs). We cut 1 coil off the front and half on the back, but it still doesn't look low enough for me. Here's some before and after pics.

I don't know if you can see in The photos or not, but it looks a little bit like the rear is slightly lower then the front? Here's some up close pics.

One question, I have 18" cobras. If I cut another half on the front would it be too low to the point that it would rub ? I just think that the front needs to come down more. What's everybody think?

·
Carport Built
871 Posts
Looks good man your car is clean as hell lol. I think you can cut the half and be ok. That's my opinion not an expert on cutting springs though lol

·
Mustang Enthusiast
218 Posts
Mine before cutting 1.25 coils in the front and one full coil on the back.

After, which i think for some reason settled a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
729 Posts
Looks good man obvios improvment from before i would just ask around on how much to keep going if u want to go lower someone will chime in

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Mav, for an easier-to-undo lower, you can pull your isos (just wrap the spring ends with electrical tape). That should drop you ~1/2".

·
Registered
348 Posts
You will need to go a bit lower than people with stock 17's because 17's fill up the wheel well better then 18's.

Keep that in mind when comparing other peoples pics.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Give it a few days of driving and let it settle..... if it's still to high cut another half coil and let it settle again.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Give it a few days of driving and let it settle..... if it's still to high cut another half coil and let it settle again.
Cut springs don't "settle"*. They're already settled from use. The only thing you have to do is take the car for a quick drive (or just roll the car back and forth a few times) after jacking it up and putting it back on the ground so you can get it back to its resting height.

* - unless you're cutting brand new springs.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Cut springs don't "settle"*. They're already settled from use. The only thing you have to do is take the car for a quick drive (or just roll the car back and forth a few times) after jacking it up and putting it back on the ground so you can get it back to its resting height.

* - unless you're cutting brand new springs.
I disagree with you there. They have to settle into their position in the perches or cradles, the settling is greater if rubber isolators are used.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
I disagree with you there. They have to settle into their position in the perches or cradles, the settling is greater if rubber isolators are used.
Not if you install them correctly. Pigtail goes between the two holes on the A-arms, and sits on the back of the LCAs and points to the side on the rears.

·
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY
1,920 Posts
You have 17's or 18's? I'm a little worried about my 275/18's rubbing up front.
Lol I'm sitting on 16's bud. You'll be fine. They have a larger overall diameter than 17's or 18's generally speaking.

I don't know about you clearance considering wheel width and offset, but as far as height, mine don't ever rub.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Not if you install them correctly. Pigtail goes between the two holes on the A-arms, and sits on the back of the LCAs and points to the side on the rears.
I know how to install them. I'll agree to disagree.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
You will need to go a bit lower than people with stock 17's because 17's fill up the wheel well better then 18's.

do what? lol

OP i would make sure you have the springs in the front sitting right, also tbh you can easily cut another coil with no prob. i cut 2 full coils and removed my isos in the front on 20's and have no issues. just a little stiff

1 - 20 of 27 Posts