Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I lowered my Mustang yesterday with SR Performance springs I got from AM on Cyber Monday. It took 9 hours with many complications. My friends and I were using a lift, and rented a spring compressor from advance auto. I originally planned on just using a jack, but the mechanic who owned the lift insisted I use a spring compressor so I did. I used stock isolators on my replacement lowering springs. I think it took so long because of the spring compressor but I wont complain. The rear springs took 10 minutes tops with a jack and an impact gun, but the fronts were the pain. We pretty much took everything apart on the first side and were trying to be safe and to get it done right. Everything was going well until the A arm was lowered down with compressor in place and the spring looked loose. One friend grabbed it and pulled and the other had his hand on the shock. The spring popped out with a ton of force and pinned my other friends hand to the shock. It took us about two minutes to remove his hand and it was swollen but he toughened up. After that we slowed everything down and took our time. We got the lowering spring compressed and put back, and did the same on the other side (Compressor kept slipping so we spent about a half an hour compressing it). It turned out well and we tightened everything up. Lowered it down and I still have one heck of a gap between the tires and the fenders :( It does ride wayyyy better though and it is noticable that the car is lowered. I have a 3 finger gap in the back and 4 in the front. The back springs are turned the same way, and the front springs are in the A-arm correctly. Can anyone tell me why my front sits one finger gap higher? Oh, almost forgot, this mod was about the best mod I have done to my car, it feels like a completely new vehicle. The back bumper to the bottom to the pavement now measures 12" and used to be 14", thats the only measurement I remembered for reference. My tires still seem to be in alignment(fingers crossed).
Anyways, thanks,
Justin

p.s. How can I post before pictures on a thread? My after picture is in my signature:)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure where my last post went. Is there any way to make the front lower, or will it settle? The springs are supposed to drop it a lil less then 1.5" front and 1.5" rear so I'd think that it should be even and it will
settle?

·
Registered
22,813 Posts
The time frame sounds about how long it took me to lower my 01. I just did the 03 today in 2 hours. No spring compressor needed, just a jack, some tools, and a crow bar.

As for the springs, mine settled eventually, however the front was never higher than the rear.

·
Registered
975 Posts
i might bug you in acouple of weeks to see how you like these springs. im working on lowering mine since i need new shocks/struts.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah if I were to do it again it would take probably qn hour or two tops. So does anyone have recommendations on what to do about the front? Should I leave it or does it not look right?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And that's fine KrimsonKnight, PM me whenever and I'll let you know how I like them and answer any questions

·
Registered
168 Posts
iv never heard of the front being higher... hope you put them in the right spot. Car looks really though man keep up the work and welcome to MM

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys it either fixed itself or it was because it was on a hill. Problem is solved. Wishing I would have measured and remembered more than one spot before lowering. Some people cant tell a difference, but my car is wayyy lower then it was. When washing before I could barely reach halfway across the top, and now I can reach almost all the way.
Thanks guys,
Justin

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm glad to hear the gap disappeared. I was considering buying these springs since they're so cheap compared to some of the others but I remember there being talk about the drop not being so low on the sixers because they were made to handle the additional weight of the GTs. But if you don't seem to have a problem with them I'll definitely grab them while they're on clearance for $109.99

·
Registered
323 Posts
you may want to consider getting an alignment LoveTheBlue. Even tho it may not feel out of alignment I can almost guarantee it is. After I dropped my 02, I needed an alignment BAD and I ended up getting camber/caster plates......although i did use the eibach pro-kit, i think most ppl would rec an alignment.

:2cents and welcome to MM btw

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I noticed the camber today. They angle in very slightly, I'm going to get one ASAP. And yes the spring are very nice and definitely lower it, but will leave a little wheel gap with low diameter tires. The handling is outstanding though to me. Hugeeee difference over stock in how I can take backroads. The body roll is much less than what it used to be. They did give my stang an aggressive stance in person though. For 110$ I don't think they can be beat. If you want them lower than what they drop it, trim the springs. Mine sits perfect as I live on a dirt road(high enough to not rub in ruts). Plus, install personally was a pain so I don't want to remove them again. Great springs though, and perfect for an aggressive stance :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
yea, you can't beat the aggressive stance and overall improved handling of a lowered mustang! oh, also watch going over speed bumps, you can easily rub the mufflers. Ask me how i know haha :facepalm:

·
Registered
22,813 Posts
I would get them at $110 before they jack the price back up to $150. Or do like LMR did with their SVE springs and go from $100 to $180.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts