Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im in the process of purchasing another fox, with intentions of a turbo set up.. my question is what's a safe compression ratio for a mild/moderate turbo set up. Mods on this vehicle is as follows: The motor is fully built and its out of a 95 cobra so it could be legal in the car. it hascp pistons that are 12:1 compression manielt conecting rods. the heads are gt40x racing heads that have been CNC ported with a e3o3 cam 1:70 ration roller rocker arm. cobra manifolds.. hooked to a word classs t5 transmission and the rear end has a alburn locker with 33 spline axles.. Now obviously there are a couple things i would do differently, such as the manifolds.. but my goal is to have a nice turbo, maybe twins on it.. The car used to have a 5.8l power plant in it but my boy has recently changed it to the 95 cobra from what i understand...

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
you are going to have to get that compression down to 9:1 or lower and single turbo can be way more then what your block wants, and that T5 will not last long in stock form behind a turbo. The big question is what is your power goal?

What manifolds?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
There are three ways to make power with boost.

Low static compression / high boost
High static compression / low boost
Medium static compression / medium boost

There are advantages and disadvantages to each setup. 9.0 is probably a good starting point and you will have some flexibility with adjustments and changes with boost, timing, fuel type and fuel amount from there.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Mods on this vehicle is as follows: The motor is fully built gt40x racing heads that have been CNC ported with a e3o3 cam 1:70 ration roller rocker arm. cobra manifolds.. hooked to a word classs t5 transmission...
i would take the work fully built out of that and maby add in a somewhat or mildly:tomato

just messin with ya.

but really i would start with another motor you can try to baindaid those pistons with thick copper head gaskets but i wouldnt.. if its a high compression motor then put in some good gas and a bottle of squeeze and have at it..:yes

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
depends on what type of gas you are using and how much timing you are willing to pull.

I made an easy 15 PSI on pump gas at 9:1 compression on my blue fox with about 20 degrees of timing

Currently the cobra is pushing 23 PSI with a stock shortblock and pump gas plus meth/water

·
Registered
301 Posts
youd def. have to switch out the pistons for some dish tops

but shoot for 8:1 to 9:1 like everyone else said an she should be right

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you are going to have to get that compression down to 9:1 or lower and single turbo can be way more then what your block wants, and that T5 will not last long in stock form behind a turbo. The big question is what is your power goal?

What manifolds?
motor is fully built cobra r capable of withstanding 1000hp.. however i am aware of the tranny issue,.. but i was only considering getting to 500-600hp.. as for manifolds,.. probably a systemax setup

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are three ways to make power with boost.

Low static compression / high boost
High static compression / low boost
Medium static compression / medium boost

There are advantages and disadvantages to each setup. 9.0 is probably a good starting point and you will have some flexibility with adjustments and changes with boost, timing, fuel type and fuel amount from there.

so is 12:1 to high of compression to run even low boost?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i would take the work fully built out of that and maby add in a somewhat or mildly:tomato

just messin with ya.

but really i would start with another motor you can try to baindaid those pistons with thick copper head gaskets but i wouldnt.. if its a high compression motor then put in some good gas and a bottle of squeeze and have at it..:yes
i might just end up doing that,. being as i dont really want to start undoing the work on the 1500mile motor just yet..

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
just be careful on how big of a shot you put in it cause depending on how it was set up and the ring gap

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was thinkin along the lines of a 150.. maybe,..maybe a 200 what do you think?

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
What kind of block is it since its capable of withstanding 1000 hp?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'll get at him and find out exactly..

all i know as of now is its a built 351 out of a 95 cobra r

1 - 15 of 15 Posts