Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the stock 2011+ upper strut mounts are garbage. I think one of mine broke because there is an awful creaking noise coming from my front end when I turn the wheel. I guess it's been a problem in the 2005-10 Stangs but it must have carried over to the 11's. I'm in the market for some better ones but those who what to drop their 11+ beware of the upper strut mounts. Maybe my situation is rare but if it's not, heads up.

·
Token asian guy
2,783 Posts
I swapped mine out for Maximum Motorsport CC plates.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm leaning towards those. When I first saw the plastic strut mounts I knew they might become a problem.

·
Token asian guy
2,783 Posts
I'm leaning towards those. When I first saw the plastic strut mounts I knew they might become a problem.
They might be a little expensive, but they're a quality piece plus can fit with stock shocks/struts. You'll also have to reuse your spring perches.

·
Registered
491 Posts
It is a common problem, yes they are garbage.

I also have the MM CC plates, they're actually sitting less than a foot away from my feet at this very moment... Man, the next two weeks are going to go by quick. Once they're up, I'll be installing them and a few BMR rear suspension parts.

Seconding the opinion that they're quality pieces, only I'm not actually using them. :[

·
Registered
664 Posts
Anyone have a problem with the GT500 strut mounts? I know their on back order but their cheaper than the MM CC. Im just now sure if they will fit with stock struts.

·
Registered
577 Posts
They don't fit using factory struts.

·
Registered
55 Posts
So the stock 2011+ upper strut mounts are garbage. I think one of mine broke because there is an awful creaking noise coming from my front end when I turn the wheel. I guess it's been a problem in the 2005-10 Stangs but it must have carried over to the 11's. I'm in the market for some better ones but those who what to drop their 11+ beware of the upper strut mounts. Maybe my situation is rare but if it's not, heads up.
Won't your warranty cover that?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Anyone have a problem with the GT500 strut mounts? I know their on back order but their cheaper than the MM CC. Im just now sure if they will fit with stock struts.
I ordered the GT500 mounts from Tousley Ford, they said 2 days before they would be shipped. I ordered yesterday, so hoping to get a shipped notice tomorrow.

Edit: Just checked my email and they shipped today, even better. will be cannibalizing them to use the Steeda HD mounts when I get the Konis in.

·
Don't BAAAAH 'Til Goatsday
6,530 Posts
I just ordered the BMR lowering spring package. There only like 50-60 bucks from them.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thought those were on backorder?

·
Registered
852 Posts
buddy has that on his 05 and loves the BMR system. though I find it odd that the front springs lower 1.25 and rear is 1.5?
But read that the front are progressive and rears are linear maybe thats why jw. but yeah the upper strut mounts are garbage not even good to be a paper weight........

·
Registered
17 Posts
I put a couple hundred miles on my car the last two days with my new setup with mixed driving; 120+ MPH, hard stopping and lots of curves. I'm happy with the GT500 mounts I'm not getting the popping like I did with the stock mounts. They seem much stronger. The down side I see is they do not have the adjustably of MM. With my 1.5" inch drop my car aligned right back to stock.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the GT500 mounts work on the 11 GT's?

·
Registered
491 Posts
So the GT500 mounts work on the 11 GT's?
And the V6 as well. But not with the stock struts on either. So says a sixxer rocking GT struts, until I can get them swapped out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry for repeating myself, just trying to help. The upper and lower parts separated and the little plastic piece that holds the bearing inside cracked.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You've shared that story a few times WSP... what was it that broke, specifically? That little plastic lip on bottom of the actual front upper strut mount or was part of the spring perch? A few people have asked (in the 2011+ V6 subforum, and other places) whenever I've brought up people having had their factory mounts break.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The mounts come in 2 pieces helad together with plastic clips. The 2 piece design is to allow for quiet movement of the strut when you turn the wheel by way of ball bearings. Once theose tabs break, the bearings no longer bear the job of turning, the 2 pieces just turn making all sorts of awful noises.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts