Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I realize this question has been asked countless times and I could search, but I am hoping to be able to ask a couple questions and get answers. I don't want to revive a year old thread. Thanks for understanding.

Ok so I want to lower my stang and I just want all opinions on what everyone thinks I need to go with the springs.

Just springs? also shocks and struts? also cc plates? Please give your opinion on how far I need to go when lowing. I'm obviously trying to spend at little as possible but the cost really doesn't matter. I'd rather do it right, and not have something that needs replacing down the line.

In addition to lowering it, in a month or two I'm also going to swap my stock 18s for some 20s. They will be staggered so would it be better to add any additional hardware now to compensate for any difference in the center of gravity?

Please tell me what you think even if you disagree with everyone else. Feel free to tell me the best or worst case scenario or anything you can think of. Thanks very much.

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
Just springs? also shocks and struts? also cc plates? Please give your opinion on how far I need to go when lowing. I'm obviously trying to spend at little as possible but the cost really doesn't matter. I'd rather do it right
Do all of them if you want longer lasting and better quality, height matters on how low you want it and still have your 20's fit it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
IMO, you need to do the springs, shocks, struts, adjustable panhard bar and adjustable bolts for the front for the struts. You need to be able to have the adjustment on the struts up front and the panhard bar out back to ensure everything lines up and you can get the alignment correct. Without these parts as a bare minimum then you will adversely affect the suspension geometry, wear tires out quicker and the handling will suffer.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Go to my garage and you will see a pretty basic well tuned setup. Other good examples are DiMora's, Emay's, Big Pappy's, Nasty's to name a few. Some of them are more complex than others. At the end you just have to make sure you make the right combo and meet the needs of what you want the car for.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
shocks/struts, springs, camber plates, adjustable panhard bar and a good alignment

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
you also need to consider the height of the tire you plan on using. if you want a fat tire you can only go so low

·
Registered
208 Posts
What about new upper strut mounts. Something about the one on the car now is only to be used one time? How true? I guess it would be better to go CC plates instead of just putting in new stock rubber upper mounts.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
rear shocks, rear 1 1/2 lowering springs, adjustable pan bar. yes, i know, im the outcast and probably NO one will agree with me, lol.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I will chime in here...

I have the Eibach Pro-Street-S kit. It's listed as coilovers, but the rear of course are separated. I believe to setup the rear end with coilovers takes a bit of chassis work and stuff. Something a little out of my ballpark.

for my setup, I went with the Eibach springs and shocks, eibach adjustable panhard bar, stiffer sway bars front and back, steeda bumpsteer kit, MM caster/camber plate, steeda adjustable lower control arms in the rear.

Perhaps this story can help you to understand what happens...I didn't do a lot of research initially, I wanted to lower my car, improve looks, improve handling...sounds good. So I got the eibach springs and shocks kit. At the time, I installed the sway bars as well. I lowered the car pretty dang far (the kit allowes up to ~3in front and back). Well, when I took it out for a drive, lo and behold, it handled like crap. In a straight line, the rear wheels wouldn't grab the road for s**t, the steering was wobbly and I couldn't tell if the car was starting to slip in corners because I had no feel for where the wheels were.

So I learned a little more. For the rear, when you lower it, the way the axle moves due to the suspension, the axle is pushed to the left. well, it's permanently that way if you lower it...an adjustable panhard rod fixes this. the panhard rod locates the axle left-to-right under the chassis. lower the car, and shorten the rod slightly, and all is well.

when you lower it, you also change the pinion angle...mine was off by a lot...A LOT. Wheel hop is the price to pay here...bad wheel hop. it's the angle the drive shaft hits the differential pinion that matters. I won't go into it, but research this. so adjustable lower control arms are the remedy. It allows the rear wheels to hook up better without wheel hop. at this point I'd recommend getting an upper one too. Or something akin to the steeda stop-the-hop kit for lowered cars.

as for the front end, a number of things happen when you lower the car...with the system our cars have, the wheels lean in. this wears the tires funny(read uneven), and pulls apart the steering tie rods...so the car starts to toe in badly. at the same time, just the lowering of the car itsself adds to the toe in. To fix the toe in, first, you need to fix the camber issues. Initially I used camber bolts, they work fine, but lowering my car as far as I did, I had issues with the caster as well that I didn't like. once you fix the camber issue, then a bumpsteer kit will make up for the lowered distance. See, as you lower the car, the chassis drops, but the steering tie rod connected to the wheel doesn. so there is more strain on it now to connect to the wheels.

that's about all I've done. there are more additions, like longer ball joints, the steeda X5's. there are a lot of other ways to approach the rear end as well. Mine was one way to get the can handling and feeling normal. I've ran both 20's as well as 18's on it. I reccommend keeping the 18's as the handling is better with them.

That's my story, I'm still learning, and I will still be upgrading my suspension.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Sorry to hi Jack the thread but what are your opinions on coilover systems?
Coilovers are great. Hands down could be one of the best ways to get a GREAT handeling car, but it is all mainly in the setup and the parts that accompany it.

Im on coilovers and my front is set pretty damn low and my rear is up just enough so thath i can fit a slightly larger rear tire without having it rub.

Along with the coilovers my car has a poly/rod end LCA's, Rod ended Panhard bar, Panhard bar brace, and Relocation brackets. I need an upper control arm to reset my pinion angle too. My coilovers came with Camber plates up front so that helped with the alignment. Still waiting to find a good shop that i can trust to corner balance it too.

Im on 20's right now and the ride aint that great. I do have my shocks set stiff so they wont rub the tires on dips so that could have a good affect, because before with stock suspension and 20's i didnt think there was anything wrong with the ride.

THe more you mess with the more things that show how badly they too need to be upgraded. So one you go into it, you better be ready to snowball out of affect.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies everyone, much appreciated. I looked over everything and it was just what I was looking for.

Now I'm thinking about the nightmare of a time trying to find a competent shop to install everything. Its so hard to find good places to do anything right.

Anyone know of a reputable shop near Los Angeles that does suspension?

Bonus Question: I'm thinking of throwing on the 20's before I lower it since that's a much more simple process. With the stock suspension setup, will staggered 20s change anything at all? If I put on the 20's do I need to change my suspension setup ASAP or should it not matter at all.

Thanks again for any input

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I got a couple places, or some firends of mine that would be willing to help you save some green and do it yourself.

PM sent

·
Banned
102 Posts
Let me tell you about lowering a car from my own past experience. when i bought my 98 z28 it was lowered. It was horrible. The ride was ruff. i had to go SLOW over every tiny bump or i would hit the ground. i could not even go to some stores because my car will hit. it puts the oil pan and a huge risk. it was a pain to work on the car. very hard to change the oil. i could not even get a jack under there in less someone pulled up on the wheel well. and the worst thing about lowering the car it will slow you down. it affects weight transfer big time and the tires spin easy. now remember this was on a camaro. but you may have the same problems i had with your stang. it looks really nice but it's not worth it.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
That depends how low you go. I have had no problem whatsoever. Now if you want to goo all ricer and gangsta then you can lower 3 inches, put 28" rims, lower your seat almost all the way so people can see your head from the back window and drive with your left hand on the wheel lol

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Coilovers will ride better than lowering springs. If you want it lowered 2" now but want it 1" later its an easy wrench crank away. The ride quality on coilovers is next to factory.

ST Suspensions makes lowering springs and coilover kits if you need a price let me know.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Let me tell you about lowering a car from my own past experience. when i bought my 98 z28 it was lowered. It was horrible. The ride was ruff. i had to go SLOW over every tiny bump or i would hit the ground. i could not even go to some stores because my car will hit. it puts the oil pan and a huge risk. it was a pain to work on the car. very hard to change the oil. i could not even get a jack under there in less someone pulled up on the wheel well. and the worst thing about lowering the car it will slow you down. it affects weight transfer big time and the tires spin easy. now remember this was on a camaro. but you may have the same problems i had with your stang. it looks really nice but it's not worth it.
The oil pan isn't going to hit. It's not going to ride like that. It sounds like someone probably heat dropped the car or something stupid. Instead of lifting the car by a fender, why wouldn't you just drive the car onto some boards or maybe even some ramps? Sounds pretty silly to sit there and yank on the fender... Anyways, not everyone is concerned with drag racing. Some people like their cars to handle better and lowering springs are going to do so.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts