Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had seen a video on here where they changed the front springs of i think an '04 by compressing the spring with a car jack. Can that be done the same way on an early 90's mustang?

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
compressing a spring with a jack doesn't sound like you'll be missing a limb or anything lol that's totally unsafe.

I think I know what you mean.

put car on stack stands

put jack under lower control arm

unbolt caliber and ziptie up out of the way so you don't stretch and break the brake line

unbolt the spindle

unbolt the strut from the a arm

gently and very slowly lower the jack little by little until the spring pops out of the mounting pads.

you may have to take a pry bar or extremely long screw driver and pry on the spring a little to pop it loose but be careful. I say this because with stock 20 plus year old springs/isolators the springs tend to be stuck a little but you don't want to yank on it and have it shoot out at you if there is any tension left on it.

I've used this technique on four different foxes without a problem but you have to work very slow with lowering that jack or the spring can shoot out and mam you etc.

Also when installing new springs you might want to have someone with heavy gloves kind of lightly hold the new spring in place as you slowly slowly jack the a arm up to help guide the new spring into the perch and mounting pad on teh control arm.

good luck

·
Registered
128 Posts
it works on the rear great easy. my eibach pro kit front springs though would not fit that way i tried every angle would not fit. but the bbk's fit in. good luck i gave up and went to a shop for the fronts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
use the spring compresser to compress the springs. Take 3 large band clamps and place them around several coils of the compressed spring, spacing them evenly around the spring. tighten them up as tight as you can, remove the spring compresser. put the spring in place. put everything back together . take some cutter pliers and cut the bands and voila! you're done.

·
Registered
127 Posts
use the spring compresser to compress the springs. Take 3 large band clamps and place them around several coils of the compressed spring, spacing them evenly around the spring. tighten them up as tight as you can, remove the spring compresser. put the spring in place. put everything back together . take some cutter pliers and cut the bands and voila! you're done.
I've done that on motorcycle springs, but prefer ratchet straps for auto/truck springs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.