Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I'm a complete suspension n00b...

but is this all I will need to lower the car a bit? no other parts like CC plates, shocks/struts or anything that are absolutely required right?

Eibach Pro Kit Springs at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

my car needs an alignment, so I figured might as well drop it from 4x4 status while I'm at it...

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
I have the same springs. I went ahead and put MM caster/camber plates and Tokico HP shocks/struts on as well as Steeda ball joints and bumpsteer kit. My car is 1.75" lower than stock height at the side skirt. (on 18" wheels). In my opinion CC plates are completely necessary for that drop, my camber would be horrid without them. I needed new ball joints which is why I went with Steeda ones, and to run the X2's you need the bumpsteer kit (which is adjustable, and I think was a good addition). New shocks/struts arent necessary but stockers wont last long after lowering.

if you want any other help/write-ups etc. let me know.

·
Registered
557 Posts
THe only reason people really say that you might need new shocks/struts is because lowering can decrease your suspension, plus you have to remove the struts anyways so it would be easy just to put some new ones on.

·
Registered
537 Posts
+1 goren I have a 1.5" drop and drove the car without cc plates for a while... they def needed them... once i got that installed it was all good...

with that being said... you will save time and money doing every at once... so try for the springs... cc plates... shocks/struts... you might not need the ball joints or the steer kit but they can only help the ride so thats up to you...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
well I was hoping not to spend too much on lowering, cause I'm also looking to get a tuner, and new wheels too... (everything I'm buying from now on is something I can transfer to a V8 coupe)... plus $250 is already quite a bit just to make the car sit an inch or 2 lower...

By the way, I'm not looking to do this for performance at the track or anything... this is just my daily driver, which I may end up selling anyway... the only reason I was planning on lowering is because the springs for v6 convertibles are the same for V8 coupes, which is what I plan on getting, so might as well... and I need an alignment as it is

·
2k3 Blown Mach 1
2,183 Posts
There was a thread on the V8 section where someone cuted his springs and he said that the car felt very good I believe it was bandity2000 something like that, you just need to know how to do it right, pm him if you would like to do it.....

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There was a thread on the V8 section where someone cuted his springs and he said that the car felt very good I believe it was bandity2000 something like that, you just need to know how to do it right, pm him if you would like to do it.....
nah, I'm not gonna cut springs... especially since I'm trying to sell the car... with the new springs I can at least put the stock one back on before its sold...

plus I would never hear the end of it from my friends if I cut my springs... :lol

·
2k3 Blown Mach 1
2,183 Posts
Someone was selling used eibach ones on craiglist for $175 If I remember, I will let you know if I find them again while searching for my GT....

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
^prokit is what he said he was looking at in the OP... sportlines are the more aggressive drop I believe... Itali I would go with the prokit, CC plates and somethin basic like Tokico HP's... relatively cheap, but in my opinion good quality for DD, I don't track my car at all.

·
Registered
55 Posts
nah, I'm not gonna cut springs... especially since I'm trying to sell the car... with the new springs I can at least put the stock one back on before its sold...

plus I would never hear the end of it from my friends if I cut my springs... :lol
don't believe everything you hear about cutting springs, the factory has a machine that cuts them and the spring is endless coming out the mold, but believe it when your told not to use a torch.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
^ Yes, of course springs are cut from long lines, that's the manufacturing process. The difference here is that when Ford cuts them they are cut to a specific size for stock ride and stock components, measured out exactly and only after several math problems to determine the correct length, size and rate of each coil.

Cutting them yourself can and 99% of the time will lead to worse ride quality, because normally it's "cut one coil off" rather than some thought-out plan of exactly how much to remove and for what reason. Much easier, safer and better end result to just buy a set.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
eh... that's still $700 or so just to have my car sit a little lower...

there are a lot better things that money could be used for...lol

·
Registered
537 Posts
eh... that's still $700 or so just to have my car sit a little lower...

there are a lot better things that money could be used for...lol
I payed 390$ for cc plates, steeda competition springs, and bilstein shocks/struts all new and never put on a car... So shop around you might find a really good deal on used springs and cc plates...

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
I got the H&R Springs and Toikco HP Shocks/Struts. With install it was about $800.

You say its just an inch or two, and not worth it.... It was the BEST visual upgrade I did to my car. It changes the whole look and gives the MUstang that true sport feeling that it should have.

I need CC plates, but I am not hurting for them.

·
Safud: MM's Resident Hadji
5,242 Posts
my friend jason cut a coil off of each spring and dropped his car about an 1" all the way around...we even took it like that on the Dragon run (mountain course in TN)...rode just fine:yes

im thinking about doing this for myself..
+1 You don't start to lose performance until you get up to a 2 coil cut

·
Registered
380 Posts
+1....mine was cut,lowered 3 - 3 1/2(?) in and it is deff slammed....looks badass and the only downside ive experienced is some of the rough spots in the interstate can be a bit** and forget about going over larger speed bumps cuz it aint happening!!!..Oh yea, my buddy down at the ford dealer done it for me for $100!!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
all u need is the prokit and an alignment. speaking experience with that setup
I think that's all I'm going to do... get the pro kit, install them, and have it aligned...

if I decide I need the cc plates of shocks struts, then I can order them as I need them... I don't mind wrenching on my car for a bit to redo the suspension if I have to... even if I need another alignment...

will I absolutely need the new isolators?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts