Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found 3 used LRG 425 engines in the Michigan area for $850 a piece. For those of you who are not familiar with the LRG engines, they are Fords heavy duty version of the 2300/ 2500, which are used in industrial equipment. They make great racing engines and feature a unique oil pump which is not prone to failure like the standard 2300/ 2500 engines.

Link below.

Used LRG 425 Engines

LRG 425 engine manual

http://www.pittauto.com/customer/piauel/pdf/ford/194-303 LRG425.pdf

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If only i had known that yeas ago.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah Mike, no one really talks about these motors, but they are probably the best of the stock engines to work with. They come in both single and dual plug configurations. The engines I have measured, seem to have slightly thicker walls and webbing within the block. The oil pump housing sits where the aux shaft normally goes and the oil pump drives directly off of the timing belt, eliminating all of the other drive apparatus for the pump. No more broken distributor gears with this set-up.

I am building an engine for road racing, using the 425 bottom end.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Wow, that looks like a great setup. can it run a distibutor??

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The LRG425 engines are configured for a crank triggered ignition, but like anything else, you could always adapt a distributor to run off the crank. I am adapting a distributor to a Lincoln 3.9L engine, that a friend of mine is swapping into his 65' Ford truck. In my case, when I build up my next engine using the 425 block, I am going to drive the distributor directly off of the auxiliary shaft. I have done this before on dual plug engines, using a Nissan Z-24 distributor.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just threw this out there in case anyone was considering a racing engine build, where you would be more likely to shear off the oil pump drive components.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The LRG425 engines are configured for a crank triggered ignition, but like anything else, you could always adapt a distributor to run off the crank. I am adapting a distributor to a Lincoln 3.9L engine, that a friend of mine is swapping into his 65' Ford truck. In my case, when I build up my next engine using the 425 block, I am going to drive the distributor directly off of the auxiliary shaft. I have done this before on dual plug engines, using a Nissan Z-24 distributor.

Do you have any information how to adapt to run a distributor? I have a LRG-425 that has a hacked up ignition system and wiring harness. I would like to convert it to a distributor and carb setup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you have any information how to adapt to run a distributor? I have a LRG-425 that has a hacked up ignition system and wiring harness. I would like to convert it to a distributor and carb setup.
similar problem here. i cant find the ECM or anyone to program it. im looking at putting a distributor and a carburetor on it. extremely old thread but its worth a shot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts