Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Fee Fie Foe Fum
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know what to use with this cam.. Im reading here and there that I may want ls6 valve springs..ive heard beehive 915s and 918s from comp? What locks? What retainers? ive got my oushrods all figured out ill just custom length them when I'm done.. Part #s..anything.. J just dont really know and dont want to start ordering until I'm for sure.

·
Fee Fie Foe Fum
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you...but you know for a fact these are direct replacement? They have the specs im looking for. And are those just 2v factory retainers?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
what lift is your cam going to have? if it isn't over .570" lift you can use these springs: Chevrolet Performance Valve Springs 12499224 - SummitRacing.com

With these retainers: 2001 FORD MUSTANG Parts - Tousley Ford Parts Depot

You can use your factory valve locks. That's what i'm using for my build.
Well that just saved me some money haha.

OP, comps springs use the factory 2v retainers as well, with our regular locks. I know for the 915 spring its a drop in replacement for our heads, but the 918's need machining to sit correctly in the head.

·
Fee Fie Foe Fum
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I know old thread, but its mine so f off if ya have a problem.. I just installed my first ls6 spring and gt retainer and the lock hardly seats into the retainer at all.. This can't be right.. Also, no valve seats??! Just doesnt seem right.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
What do you mean no valve seals? When I put my springs on, with my new felpro valve seals/seats, it was a bit snug, but the valve spring did seat onto the valve seal (I considered it just extra located. With the stock valve seals they fit on just fine, I guess the felpro ones are just a tad bigger around). I had to compress the spring quite a bit in order to get the gt valve retainer on and get the stock v6 locks to lock it in place.

·
Fee Fie Foe Fum
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
2013-04-26 13.39.17.jpg I meant to type valve seats sorry..Ya somethings not right here.. I see first off from your picture that your valve seal and valve seat are one in the same.. Mine has a metal valve seat that the ls6 spring wouldnt seat on now heres what my locks look like inside of the retainer..That isnt going to work :(

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Ya there is something wrong with that valve spring retainer lol. Are they maybe the v6 retainers and you mixed them up with the gt ones? Be careful taking those things off, it looks really dangerous bc those springs have a lot of pressure being compressed so much. Hope you get it figured out

·
Fee Fie Foe Fum
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No theyre definately gt retainers, I just got them in the mail from Green6er... If they were v6 ones my locks would fit them lol.. I guess single port and split port mustangs have different valve locks.. My only logical conclusion.. Lol

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
I use the LS6 yellows.

·
Fee Fie Foe Fum
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I need somebody to send me 24 splitport locks.. Sucks.. Idk if ima ebay or napa said a week at least..

·
Registered
149 Posts
with my new felpro valve seals/seats, it was a bit snug, but the valve spring did seat onto the valve seal (I considered it just extra located. With the stock valve seals they fit on just fine, I guess the felpro ones are just a tad bigger around)
What do you mean a tad bigger around? like the thickness of the seal seat? or the diameter?

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
I need somebody to send me 24 splitport locks.. Sucks.. Idk if ima ebay or napa said a week at least..
Ill try to run by the shop an look for my extras tomorrow.

·
Fee Fie Foe Fum
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have just never heard of a difference in the locks in a single and a split port.. Hopefully thats the only difference.. Yikes..

·
Fee Fie Foe Fum
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its looking like I'm going to have to just buy different retainers... Gotta be kidding me..

·
Fee Fie Foe Fum
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bump for info, anyone know what I need to use w the bigger valves? Tangstang?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts