Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys i need some help. i have a 2001 v6 and am the third owner of it and i dont know if i have LSD or not. how can i tell if it has it? i thought i did bc i was able to do two wheel burn outs but when i got stuck in the snow only one wheel spun. did i break it? or does that happen sometimes in the snow? if it is broke how would i be able to tell.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Go do another burnout and see if both wheels spin. I bet it's not broken. Limited slip differentials DO allow a single wheel to get all of the power. It's a common misconception that they work the same as a locker (which always provides power to both wheels).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've been meaning to do another to see. i've always had it explained to me if one wheel spins so much the other locks in to give more traction

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Go do another burnout and see if both wheels spin. I bet it's not broken. Limited slip differentials DO allow a single wheel to get all of the power. It's a common misconception that they work the same as a locker (which always provides power to both wheels).
Limited slip differentials allow one wheel to spin only when the friction difference between the two wheels is greater than the friction in its clutch packs. In most cases this doesn't happen and both will spin. On surfaces of really low friction such as ice you'll always spin both. The reason for this is the friction on both wheels is less than that in the clutch packs and thus there can never be a large difference.

The same principal goes for open differentials. When the friction difference between the wheels is greater than the small amount of friction in the rotating spider gears then one can stop and the other can have all of the power. This also means that you CAN do a 2 wheel burnout with an open differential in the right conditions. It's quite easy to do on even ice or gravel and harder but still possible on pavement.

A good way to know for sure is to jack up the rear end so that both wheels are off the ground and then spin one wheel forward. If the other spins backwards then you do not have a locker or LSD.

Based on your experience in the snow I'm willing to bet you do not have a LSD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts