Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so i'm throwing the idea of getting a LSD for my '03 v6 to replace the one wheel peel crap that's stock. I plan on going 4.10 gears (It's an auto) and I figured getting the LSD would be a good idea while i'm there.

Question is, what exactly goes with doing this? If I find a 7.5" 28 spline LSD can it just be swapped in along with the 4.10 gears? Is this a good route?

What is required to swap in the whole 8.8" setup? Is that a better route? Just looking for answers.

·
SpamBOT
91 Posts
get an 8.8 out of a mustang foxbody (their way cheap). replace the wheel bearings and seals and then put in 4.10s for the 8.8 then swap your disc brake brackets and your axles.
and done!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
get an 8.8 out of a mustang foxbody (their way cheap). replace the wheel bearings and seals and then put in 4.10s for the 8.8 then swap your disc brake brackets and your axles.
and done!
well i wouldn't be doing the swapping myself, so yeah, but would it be that easy? find a used 8.8 out of a foxbody (opposed to a 95+ GT because it would be 28 spline axles in the fox's? or..?) and then get some 4.10 gears for a 28 spline 8.8" LSD and have them swapped?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do an 8.8 out of a 99-04 GT. Fox rear would be too narrow.
but are the axles the same size? like I can drop the LSD from a 99-04 GT into my v6 rear axles and such? or what? I don't need the "strength" cuz it's a v6. Not worrying about anything but the gears and LSD ??

·
Registered
80 Posts
considering ford stopped making their LSD's, the cheapest one for a 7.5" rear is over 300, which generally you can grab an 8.8 for <200 and it already comes with a posi most of the time with a good clutch pack so it doesn't have to be replaced, you can find used 8.8 gears cheap also

if you plan on running sticky drag tires the 8.8 is a way better option

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
considering ford stopped making their LSD's, the cheapest one for a 7.5" rear is over 300, which generally you can grab an 8.8 for <200 and it already comes with a posi most of the time with a good clutch pack so it doesn't have to be replaced, you can find used 8.8 gears cheap also

if you plan on running sticky drag tires the 8.8 is a way better option
This car wont be doing any drag racing really lol. But I can see what you're saying, it's easier to use the used 8.8 and do that sort of swap. But can i swap that with my current axles or do i have to replace all of that??

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
An 8.8 is a direct replacement in the mustangs, especially if you get a 99-04 since thats what you have. the 99-04 were longer in the axle housing then the pre-99.

To swap all you need is the axle from the gt. You can't put an 8.8 diff in a 7.5 because its the wrong size. The axles are the same between the gt and the v6. You could also get a tlok from a v6 ranger with a 7.5" axle out of a junkyard, but the 8.8 axle will be better in the end, and a lot easier to swap out.

There are a couple of install threads on this site, check out the search feature. Its not hard to do the swap, basically:

Support car
take wheels/brakes/axle off
support axle with jack
unbolt shocks from car, unbolt upper control arm bolts when you can
lower rear axle slowly till you can get the springs out
unbolt the lower control arms (this is the real b****, those bolts like to just spin in the bushings so you can't get it out, I ended up cutting my bolts and replacing them)
Install is the reverse of the removal.

Can be done on a decent day or in a garage in probaly like 3-4hrs

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
I got my lsd from a ranger

03cristian

·
SpamBOT
91 Posts
oh so the housing in the new edge mustangs are longer? I figured they were same as the sn95s. the sn95s are the same as foxbody just longer axles and disc brackets

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, so I found these rear ends on craigslist.

This one is just the rear end (doesn't say what year and looks in bad shape...)
8.8 ford rear end

I could get the rear out of this and sell the shell for $350+ i'd assume, so i could spend minimum on this. BUT you said the older ones aren't the same size..
89 mustang

Opinions??

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Get one from a ranger!

03cristian

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Get one from a ranger!

03cristian
where would I find that? i searched CL for ranger rear ends and it came up with nothing. To be honest, I might just get new stuff and get it installed at some point, rather spend the money on new stuff than risk used stuff being broken sometimes.

Oh and Cristian, if you have an example of a usable LSD from a ranger? like a link so i know what to look out for, please post. Or maybe just let me know what i can look for?

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Ebay search, ranger 7.5 tlok

03cristian

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ebay search, ranger 7.5 tlok

03cristian
can you just switch that out with my current diff? no swapping anything else? and how hard would it be to get 4.10's for said ranger LSD installed? same 4.10's for the mustang at AM?

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
can you just switch that out with my current diff? no swapping anything else? and how hard would it be to get 4.10's for said ranger LSD installed? same 4.10's for the mustang at AM?
Yes, all the same
On Ebay there is a tlok and 4.10s kit for 325.00

03cristian

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 25 Posts