Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well ive been wanting the MAC LT headers mainly because of the fact that you can work with the clutch and tranny, but Ive come acorss a deal that just seems too good to pass up from stage3motorsports.

they have BBK LT ceramic headerswith matching o/r x, gaskets, header bolts, mils, and o2 extensions for $700 with free shipping.

If I get the MACs ill be spending another 60-100 bucks on shipping and misc. items and still wont have the header bolts

How hard is it to go around the headers? do you basically have to go into the engine bay, cradle the engine, loosen the header,and slide the trany out? I know theres alot more to it if this is the case, im just giving a rough scenario

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
if you are planning on doing the clutch and lt's at the same time, it will be a whole lot easier and will have a ton more room without the transmission in....

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Just remember when you get ready to put the tranny back in, you will need to leave the headers loose to give you a little extra room. I am not sure how tight the bbk's are, but with MAC headers in and tight the tranny will no come out. Definatly do em both at the same time, that will be easiest.

·
Registered
428 Posts
so are u saying u still have to unbolt the headers to remove the trans. regardless of what brand you have?

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just remember when you get ready to put the tranny back in, you will need to leave the headers loose to give you a little extra room. I am not sure how tight the bbk's are, but with MAC headers in and tight the tranny will no come out. Definatly do em both at the same time, that will be easiest.

thats EXACTLY what my father said. He wants me to do the clutch and the headers at the same time, but as of right now, my clutch still feels smooth, presice, and clean.

I havent had a problem with the clutch yet. that doesnt mean it couldnt just die on me tomorrow. I know thats a possibility.

but ive always gone by a simple thing. dont fix it if it isnt broken.

if I DID NOT change the clutch with the lts, and I need change it later on, how difficult would it be to get to it? Would I have to go basically through the entire LT installation procedure again?

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
thats EXACTLY what my father said. He wants me to do the clutch and the headers at the same time, but as of right now, my clutch still feels smooth, presice, and clean.

I havent had a problem with the clutch yet. that doesnt mean it couldnt just die on me tomorrow. I know thats a possibility.

but ive always gone by a simple thing. dont fix it if it isnt broken.

if I DID NOT change the clutch with the lts, and I need change it later on, how difficult would it be to get to it? Would I have to go basically through the entire LT installation procedure again?

I don't wann tell you it will be that much trouble buuuuutttt......it is. With the MAC headers and t-45 you have to unbolt at least one header to get the tranny out. So I would definatly reccomend doing the clutch at the same time. But its up to you (and your dad if he's gotta help you pull the tranny the next time:D) but as easy as it sounds, loosening one or both of the headers just to change out the clutch later, will be a pain in the arrsse

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah that would mean id have to take the rotars,springs, steering rack, etc. ****...

well looks like Ill order the headers hwen i get my tax return but will have to wait when i can get a new clutch... LAME

Ill need an alignment after the header install wont i?

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
yeah that would mean id have to take the rotars,springs, steering rack, etc. ****...

:no
well looks like Ill order the headers hwen i get my tax return but will have to wait when i can get a new clutch... LAME

Ill need an alignment after the header install wont i?
:no

You don't need to remove all that. If you want and have the tools and jacks, you can support the motor and remove the motor mounts, this will help the install.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well we have an angine hoist, floor jack and 2 jack stands. we have ALL the sockets, wrecnches etc a man could ask for.

think well be good? I mean if I can avoid taking he rotors, stering rack, springs and all that off id be happy as hell

·
Registered
428 Posts
i heard that you can do it without removing the K member but I honestly dont see how anybody could get to the header bolts without removing it.....unless you already have a tubular k member

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
You will be fine. Get the car in the air. then supporth the motor, unbolt the motor from the motor mounts and remove the mounts themselves. Once you get under there and removing them you will see why its easier to reach the bolts with the out. then if you are doing the clutch at the same time, pull the starter and tranny, then the manifolds, (make sure you get some good header gaskets, like Percy's) then when you are ready to put the headers in just put em in and make the bolts finger tight, put the tranny back in and then put the starter in. After all that is done tighten the header bolts and then do the mounts.

Sounds damn easy doesnt it . :lmao

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AHHHH ahahah yeah it doesn. from what I hear though its not really HARD, its just VERY time consuming and takes patience

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Excatly. Just time consuming. Dropping the k-member will make it faster but dropping it, in and of itself takes a little extra time. The mounts will give you enough room to make it easier. Also the driver side header bolts can be tightened from the engine compartment so that makes the drivers side go pretty quick. Its the middle and back header bolts on the passenger side that make it hell.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well ive got my father with me. were gonna take a saturday one weekend and do it. Hes done it on cars before so he knows a good run through, but I know its different on these mod motors

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excatly. Just time consuming. Dropping the k-member will make it faster but dropping it, in and of itself takes a little extra time. The mounts will give you enough room to make it easier. Also the driver side header bolts can be tightened from the engine compartment so that makes the drivers side go pretty quick. Its the middle and back header bolts on the passenger side that make it hell.
know of any source that has a motor mount run through of it? Everywhere I look theyve dropped the k memeber

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
It just gives you more room to get at the header bolts. You will have to get under there before you realy see what I mean but start with that. If you can't get them or need more room then drop the k. The mounts are easy, just support the motor and you will see how they come out when you get under there.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so basically ill be putting them in from underneath? and be working form under the car instead of above it?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts