Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car's been sitting in a garage now for almost 5 weeks:sorry, I've ripped out the intake, the starter and unbolted the motor mounts in order to install some summit LT's, I dont have an engine brace or cherry picker, the only thing i have is a few scissor jacks, a floor jack and jack stands. I was wondering if I can lift the motor enough by placing a block of wood on the oil pan without crushing the pan. I am doing all the work myself and basically its the farthest i've ripped down into the car. I got a 4 bank chip thats dying to be tested, but i have been waiting on getting these damn headers in. Also, is it normal to have to beat in some of the piping to get a good fit, as the shorty/ stock headers i had were pretty beat up. I'd appreciate it, just curious if anyone's lifted the motor via oil pan n 2x4 and not crush it. THanks guys, and I gotta get this things ready now that my guys are back from afghanistan, gotta tear some asses! haha!

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
It's typical to have to dent in the primary tubes a little on some makes and i've gotten away a bunch of times with a block of wood on the jack and oil pan but I did cave in one pan using wood.. so have fun

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
When I did my motor mounts, it took me a while but I used a rig of a floor jack under the back part of the pan with piece of 3/4 plywood and a small bottle jack sitting on the base of the floor jack on the front part of the pan, with a 2x4. It worked but no guarantee it would work a second time.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I jack my engine up by the pan all the time. I even take the engine out and set a 4"x4" under the front sump and set the engine down on the ground on the pan all the time too. Like these guys said, it's possible that it will cave, so take that for what it's worth. I've probably been getting lucky all these years. I would never do it with an aftermarket pan though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, ill post them exhaust notes and hopefully some information about the chip im running... once she runs again haa!

·
Registered
458 Posts
If you have summit LT headers you shouldn't have to bend the primary tubes at all. if you are gonna have the motor up to put the motor mounts in it should be a breese. I put mine in in one piece without cutting the flange. I just unbolted the steering shaft and pushed hard from the top. slid right in and had to wiggle them around to get the steering shaft back into place. The drivers side collector is not a straight shot under the crossmeber though. it will need to "S" around to get towards the pass side and go under the crossmenber. GL (BTW I do have a Tubular K member/A arms and coil overs. Not sure if that makes a difference.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts