Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright so I just got off the phone with the guy thats gonna sell me his mac longtubes for $150 + shipping. He said they were never on the car, and are ceramic. He also said there is minor surface rust. So now I have 2 questions... If they were ceramic coated, could they still rust? I was under the impression they couldnt. And 2, is surface rust a problem?

Also, how much louder will these longtubes be with an SLP Catted X pipe vs my stock manifolds and Catted BBK X pipe?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Yes they can rust, you can polish them if looks are a problem. Surface rust is not a huge problem, just ugly.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Mine are ceramic coated and they rusted a bit in storage SO yes they can rust. its looks like it was spray painted with rust. 2 Its not a big deal at all

Ill take a picture if you want to see what it looks like

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright cool. Ya post a pic if its not a big deal. I'd appreciate it. And looks are not a big deal, I just wanted to make sure it wasnt gonna be a problem. And I just repped both you guys for the quick and helpful responses! :) Thanks

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How come theres a bunch of people that say (just used the "search" function ;)) that longtubes arent worth it, you wont gain any hp, yada yada. Is that true or will it add any real power?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Youll probably get about 10hp out of doing LTs with your mods you already got. Its not worrth it because LTs are expensive and you dont get alot of hp for all that money. Divide Cash spent by hp gained. 350$/10= 35$ per pony.

LTs are also hard to install on our cars, easiest way is to pull the motor you gotta take the starter off and loosen the motor mounts and at least jack the motor up a bit. I some how managed to do it without pulling the motor but it sucked and i wish i pulled it

1996-04 Mustang GT MAC Long Tube Headers - Chrome

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
It will be a little louder I would imagine.

LT headers help with the flow of the engine, the small gains you get upon install now will help you in the long run as you continue to mod your engine.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
It will be a little louder I would imagine.

LT headers help with the flow of the engine, the small gains you get upon install now will help you in the long run as you continue to mod your engine.
:yes

LT's definitely have the most noticable effect on NA engines. As your power output increases, exhaust flow rate increases, and your LT's will be able to handle that, and not hold you back.

Plus for $150 you can't go wrong.

The only issue aside from fitment and bolts loosening I've seen with them is idle issues due to the relocation of the upstream O2 sensors. It doesn't seem to happen in all cases though. Nothing a tune correction can't fix.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I've been running a pair that was used for $75 from a friend for over 4 years. Mine were well used and repainted lol.

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya I can't wait to get them. As far as YouTube, it seems like 99% of the people with LT's also hav offroad x pipes and I want to still try and stay somewhat legal and I also don't want it to be obnoxious to drive. I think I'm going to go with the SLP catted x from AM. Can anyone confirm that this will bolt up to the Mac longtubes and flowmaster cat back?

·
Registered
593 Posts
If MAC doesn't send me the replacement header they've owed me since last September I'll give you my set complete with the leak in the collector. Seriously, going from stock manifolds to LT's was a louder, but I also noticed more exhaust noises inside the car.

·
Registered
593 Posts
A little increase, but I also have the stock Bullitt cat back so that my be hurting me. Sound wise, it took some time to warm up to them. The sound is raspier and you hear all the pops and crackles in the manifolds. Plus every time you shift you hear the air rushing back up the headers. The stock manifolds are much quiter but that's the trade-off for 10-20hp.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts