Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Penetration before detonation
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the wifey surprised me and bought it for me. Yup, waiting for me when I arrived at the rentals' was a big box with MAC on the side. I'm beyond excited to get it on but I wanted to check a few things first:

1. I've read that the supplied gasket sucks. I have the money should I need a new one, but here's my sitch. I got my clutch replaced three months ago, and the mechanic pulled the stock H-pipe off to get to the tranny (of course). He put it all back together, and there was an exhaust leak. Well, we got it fixed by putting in a new gasket. So, is the gasket I have on there now (three months old) good enough to re-use, or should I get a new gasket?

2. If I do have to get a new gasket, will this one work?

AutoZone.com | | Exhaust Flange Gasket | EXHAUST FLANGE GASKET

3. The pipe comes in two pieces, and there isn't anything holding the actual equalizing pipe together, other than sheer force (they barely slide into one another). Am I missing something, or does that have to be welded?

4. Do I need extensions to put in the O2 sensors? I have the SCT Livewire, but would it be better to have the sensors in? If I shut the rears off, where do I disconnect them, if at all?

I've never messed with exhaust **** by myself, I always had someone with a welder do it (catback, mufflers, etc.). All I know is to have a buttload of PB blaster or WD40 to get stuff loose and off. Anything else? Sorry for the long-ass thread but I want to make sure everything is in line before I reach the point of no return.

·
Registered
900 Posts
The gasket should be okay if its pretty new, but if you want to be on the safe side that one will work, or at least is has for me.

The midpipe comes with a u clamp, but i took mine up to an exhaust shop and had them weld it, so i wouldnt have to worry about a leak.

Use lots of pb blaster and need a few extensions and swivels.

·
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, no U clamp or anything of the sort... might have to make a trip to the muffler shop then.

·
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reps to you, Kevin.

And reps to anyone else who wants to chime in and fill in the other blanks.

·
~C~, The Other White Meat!
1,623 Posts
So the wifey surprised me and bought it for me. Yup, waiting for me when I arrived at the rentals' was a big box with MAC on the side. I'm beyond excited to get it on but I wanted to check a few things first:

1. I've read that the supplied gasket sucks. I have the money should I need a new one, but here's my sitch. I got my clutch replaced three months ago, and the mechanic pulled the stock H-pipe off to get to the tranny (of course). He put it all back together, and there was an exhaust leak. Well, we got it fixed by putting in a new gasket. So, is the gasket I have on there now (three months old) good enough to re-use, or should I get a new gasket?

I have always used NEW gaskets when installing anything. It doesn't hurt and will save you the headache if the old one is bad. Get the stock gasket from Ford. It's like nmt $12.

2. If I do have to get a new gasket, will this one work?

AutoZone.com | | Exhaust Flange Gasket | EXHAUST FLANGE GASKET See above. Get the Ford gasket.

3. The pipe comes in two pieces, and there isn't anything holding the actual equalizing pipe together, other than sheer force (they barely slide into one another). Am I missing something, or does that have to be welded?

Mine came in three sections. You must have an older version of the o/r. I say get it welded after it is on the car and fitted right.

4. Do I need extensions to put in the O2 sensors? I have the SCT Livewire, but would it be better to have the sensors in? If I shut the rears off, where do I disconnect them, if at all?

Yes, you most likely will. If you turn the rears off, you won't get the CEL. I installed an a/f ratio gauge which took the place of the one of the rear sensors and had a bung welded in for the one sensor. They were both turned off however. I guess you could just let the wires hang rolled up, but I don't know.

I've never messed with exhaust **** by myself, I always had someone with a welder do it (catback, mufflers, etc.). All I know is to have a buttload of PB blaster or WD40 to get stuff loose and off. Anything else? Sorry for the long-ass thread but I want to make sure everything is in line before I reach the point of no return.
PB Blaster is my best friend. Long extension socket and swivel head or adapter to get to the header bolts.

Work from the front back. Put the whole pipe up and get it positioned and then tighten bolts up. Front back.

Reactions: suprajay79

·
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn, C, is there any way to give someone mega-reps? Like, reps times ten?

LOL thanks dude, thanks a **** ton.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I would use a stock ford gasket on the pass side. The mac one likes to burn out. Plus do not over tightnen it or it ruins it. You might have to replace the driver side studs on the manifold because the have a built in spacer that can make the pipe not seal well sometimes. No extentions needed unless you have longtubes.

·
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Jive. Good info, reps!

Or not. It's not lettin me give you any right now.

You're alright in my book if that's good enough :)

I'll hopefully put it on later on today when my fahzah gets home. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks again, guys!

·
1,623 Posts
Damn, C, is there any way to give someone mega-reps? Like, reps times ten?

LOL thanks dude, thanks a **** ton.
Wasn't that much info, but no problem. Try to give people good info when I know things cause when it comes back to me and I need it, it's invaluable.

I would use a stock ford gasket on the pass side. The mac one likes to burn out. Plus do not over tightnen it or it ruins it. You might have to replace the driver side studs on the manifold because the have a built in spacer that can make the pipe not seal well sometimes. No extentions needed unless you have longtubes.
Agreed with this!!!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Another tip, try to soak the bolts way before you plan on working on it, then drive it for like 15 min. Then soak again when it cools. I did this and i didnt have any problems at all, it took all of 5 minutes to get the bolts out.

·
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome. I swear, I feel like I'm in American Government class- I've been taking all sorts of notes left and right!

·
1,623 Posts
:lol no need for notes, it stays posted!

·
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:lol no need for notes, it stays posted!
Hahaha, yeah, I might as well just bring the laptop outside and go from there...

but I've already taken a page and a half of random info. I like to be organized and well-prepared!

·
1,623 Posts
you are like me.

but sometimes i just say **** it and go with it.

·
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I was close to just saying **** it and going with it, but exhaust leaks really annoy the crap out of me...

·
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright, it's on! AND MAN, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!

A few tips.

1. Soaking the bolts in penetrating lube works like a charm (thanks again Kevin) and a breaker bar makes the job infinitely easier. Be sure to get someone with small hands and a flathead screwdriver to reach up and disconnect the pre-cat O2 sensors.

2. If you have the two-piece model, bolt up the pipes to either manifold first. Then use a mallet to bring the equalizer pipe together.

3. I used my gasket that was already on there- it was still shiny and everything. We checked and re-checked for leaks at idle, part-, and full-throttle, and found only a small leak at the equalizer pipe at full-throttle (I'm not going to even bother getting it welded, it's so small).

Overall, it took about two hours and a lot of farting and cussing. The car sounds absolutely incredible now. Before, it would only be loud when I got on it. Now, it's just plaing LOUD and I LOVE IT!!!

Thanks again, guys, for all your help.

·
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is, man. It's my favorite mod so far. It woke up my car, if that makes any sense- before it seemed kinda lazy in getting to the top of the rpm range. Now, it just zips up there so smoothly and it sounds so much louder, it's intoxicating!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts