Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have MAC longtubes, MAC off road prochamber, and flowmaster american thunder aggressives. i have a bit of raspiness that i want to get rid of.
have you guys experienced the bit of raspyness?
i love the overall sound of the car, especially with the brenspeed detroit rocker cams, but i want rid of the raspiness.

if i install the magnaflow spun cats, will it get rid of the raspiness, so all im left with is the deep american muscle sound.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I had an o/r prochamber with magnapacks and it sounded raspy at 2500 RPMS and above. I had magnflow cats installed and when the guy put in the cats he found an exhaust leak which could have been the cause of the raspiness. After the cats were installed and the exhaust leak was taken car of, the car had a much better tone. It was only slightly quieter but the raspiness was gone and it was deeper.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sound like exactly what im looking for. is there a way to tell if you have an exhaust leak?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I think you can feel underneath for any air escaping when the car is on. But feeling near the manifold maybe a little difficult.

·
Registered
930 Posts
its the prochamber, just the nature of the beast. If you run an o/r prochamber it will be raspy, put cats in and it will help a bit. But if you put cats in, what was the point of buying an o/r prochamber?

·
Registered
337 Posts
cause you can't get a pro chamber WITH cats on these cars

btw I have the same setup with a set of spintechs so I am probobly gonna be raspy as all **** when I put it all together

I was looking for the 'make small children cry' exaust note anyways

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
^haha, make small children cry... that is a good sound to go for!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its the prochamber, just the nature of the beast. If you run an o/r prochamber it will be raspy, put cats in and it will help a bit. But if you put cats in, what was the point of buying an o/r prochamber?

because you dont really know how something is going to sound until its on YOUR car. you can youtube all you want but unless its on your car with your mods, its going to sound different.
i took a chance, ordered my setup, had it all installed, and i want to get rid of the raspiness. and getting rid of the raspiness isnt going to make it sound anything like a truck??

·
Registered
930 Posts
Idk, I just find deep sounding mustangs sound like ass, or a chevy lol. To each their own though, just giving you my opinion.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i thought muscle cars were suppose to sound deep, mean, and aggressive? i didnt want a hybrid

·
Registered
930 Posts
Well go out and buy an h pipe and full manaflow exhaust, and you will sound like the truck you never had lol.
Let it grow on you, Im sure youll soon love it. Plus its the same setup Im runing, which is pure SEX.
And Im sure your car doesnt sound like a hybrid, its ok.
The setup you got is the signature sound of the old fox bodies, a sound I cant get enough of. But like I said its just my opinion, do as you wish bro.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Adding hi-flows will not make it sound like a truck. I actually sold my prochabmer set-up to someone on this board, I will see if I can find his screen name. He also had flow a/t and he said it sounded awesome with the prochamber.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it does sound awesome. especially with the cams. but, there is just enough raspyness that sometimes it bugs me. but its not always there. id have to watch the rpm and speed range to figure out when its there and when its not. its at an idle sometimes, but not always

·
Registered
506 Posts
ditch the flows and get a set of mac axle backs. i got pypes headers, mac off road prochamber and mac axle backs. i have no rasp at all. plus the macs sound better

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the flows were on before the MAC items were added. i didnt have rasp with the stock headers stock mid pipe and flow masters. i love the flowmaster american thunder aggressives. no way im getting rid of them. its either an exhaust leak or the OR prochamber causing the raspines

·
The Mustang Shop
445 Posts
the flows were on before the MAC items were added. i didnt have rasp with the stock headers stock mid pipe and flow masters. i love the flowmaster american thunder aggressives. no way im getting rid of them. its either an exhaust leak or the OR prochamber causing the raspines
I never had any raspyness with the Mac L/T's, O/R Prochamber, and Mac mufflers.

The Flowmaster muffler/Prochamber is a combination that creates drone and the raspy sound that you hear. It's not created by an exhaust leak.

The raspy/cackle sound around 2500 RPM's is actually created by the variable cam timing. certain exhaust combinations make it worse. The same exhaust on a a GT500 won't do it because they don't have VCT. My friends 08 Bullitt with Flowmaster's had the raspy thing too. Once he locked out the VCT, it went away.

Sorry to ramble on. Since you want to keep the Flowmaster's, the only way to get rid of it is to add some backpressure either with cats or a mid mounted resonator.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
interesting. good info. seems that i paid $75 to have my flowmasters powder coated, i cant ditch them for a while. maybe in another year or two.
what is this VCT lockout?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts