Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: Problem solved...read on.

Grrr... :mad:

So I have a Mac Pro Chamber PC2105 (This is the one that goes after the factory cats). I love the sound...but the damn thing rattles - and has since I installed it on September 23rd. If I tap it with a rubber mallet or my gloved hand you can clearly hear a vibration inside of it. I didn't initially react in the days after I installed it because I thought it was a cat heat shield, or perhaps my mounts were a tad too close to the under-body hanger brackets...but today I confirmed it is the ProChamber.

So I called Mac, and the only way they will handle a warranty is you have to remove it from the car and YOU pay shipping to get it back to them. They will determine whether it is defective or not, fix it if they can, if not they replace it...and this takes several weeks. They don't have any sort of program where they cross-ship you a new one and you send the bad one back. I asked if I could pay for a new one and get a refund when they get the one I have back, and they said if they determine my current one is either OK or can be fixed then they said I just bought two of them.

So much for customer service.

It is too bad - I love the sound of it, but the rattle is really annoying - and I am not sure if I am willing to have my car down for several weeks...so I'm brainstorming a solution.

I may just put on a whole new system and then RMA the prochamber and sell the new / fixed one when I get one back...but I'm kind of screwed because the ProChamber install involved cutting my factory CAT/H pipe combo...so I don't have that to install in the interim. Grrrr!!!!!! :mad:

Are there any of you in the Atlanta area that have gone to longtubes and have a factory cat / H-pipe setup that you can loan me for a few weeks or sell me for cheap?

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
Yeah theres no baffling inside that could rattle, I take a look myself and see if some fell in there that shouldnt be.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is nothing inside the prochamber to rattle, no packing. So take it off and see if there is something in there like a piece of dirt, rock, peice of the cat. No need to send it to them just see whats in there. If nothing is in there then its something else.
Yeah theres no baffling inside that could rattle, I take a look myself and see if some fell in there that shouldnt be.
I thought about that, but it really does seem like the chamber itself. I looked at it before I installed it...and it all looks like it is welded up solid...I'm thinking a lousy weld or something. Hmmmm.

Would be nice if there was just something in it, but it really seems like a rattling caused by resonance.

I may try to post a video for you guys before I pull the damn thing. It is a real pain to uninstall / reinstall that damn thing dealing with the factory cats and the mount flanges and O2 sensor wires, etc.

I'm gonna grab the video camera...be right back. :cool:

·
Tini Tini Bo Bini
9,029 Posts
hurry!

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Video is done, just waiting on YouTube to process it now - it is HD for your viewing pleasure.

Here we go:

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There isnt anything inside to be loose? a clamp or something? hitting the panhard support? a hanger loose? I dont know, exhuast noises can carry. I would take it off and look inside before I bought something new.
That's what I thought...but you can see three weld-spots on the bottom of the prochamber that look like they are tack points for the goodies inside. All it would take is a loose tack and have the baffle system inside rattling against the casing.

I don't know...

I'll have to pull it no matter what to get to the bottom of it, but I don't want to pull it until I have a stocker Cat/H pipe setup to put back on. I refuse to have my car down for three weeks for something this lame unless I have absolutely no choice.

Also - I had zero rattle noise like this before the ProChamber went on. :(

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Yea but there is not baffling inside its just a empty box.. dont know brother. You sure thats not the cat rattling? It actually sounds like its on the outside of the exhuast to me but I dont know.

That's what I thought...but you can see three weld-spots on the bottom of the prochamber that look like they are tack points for the goodies inside. All it would take is a loose tack and have the baffle system inside rattling against the casing.

I don't know...

I'll have to pull it no matter what to get to the bottom of it, but I don't want to pull it until I have a stocker Cat/H pipe setup to put back on. I refuse to have my car down for three weeks for something this lame unless I have absolutely no choice.

·
8,720 Posts
That isnt the sound of somethin loose rattling. More like something hanging off. I say its not inside the chamber.

·
MM's Resident Muffler Shop
3,048 Posts
Doesn't mean its the prochamber. I had zero rattle before I put on my cut in X pipe. Turned out to be a hanger on my axleback rubbing against the bracket. When the car was parked nothing was touching, just close. Check the gapping on your hangers. If there's anything closer than a 1/4" I guarantee thats it

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a picture of inside the prochamber in this thread. It looks empty.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005/128047-mac-prochamber.html
Yeah, like this:

I agree, from just looking at a picture it is hard to blame the prochamber. Looks like it is a pretty solid unit.

I've checked all my clamps, hangers, etc. I'm gonna go crawl back under there and beat on it some more and mess with everything I can find to try to isolate it.

I know that on a video it is hard to pinpoint sound but under the car it does *Seem* like the ProChamber.

I'd hate to pull it and confirm that it is the PC and then be without my car for three weeks. I may just have to pull it to get the bottom of it.

Going back out...be back soon.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yea but there is not baffling inside its just a empty box.. dont know brother. You sure thats not the cat rattling? It actually sounds like its on the outside of the exhuast to me but I dont know.
+1 I thought it was the clamp. Maybe take it to an exhaust shop to see if they can track it down. That should be cheaper than shipping the whole thing back.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Epic Win!

You guys are the best.

I beat on everything, and whoever said the sound "carries" was spot-on. As I pounded on the PC, I took turns grabbing everything, and when I grabbed that passenger side hanger bracket the sound went away.

It is the passenger side exhaust hanger mount - the black metal U-bracket that is clipped into the transmission aluminum mount. The U-bracket itself is rattling and is loose. Maybe I can jam a piece of rubber in there or something?

I'd rep you guys that nailed it, but it says I gotta spread the love around a bit more.

I feel bad for blaming Mac - but I still think companies should allow cross-shipping. Oh well, at least I don't need to return it now.

I don't mind admitting when I am wrong...and I was. I hope this thread helps someone else down the line.

Oh, and I love the PC. It sounds awesome.

·
8,720 Posts
Epic Win!

You guys are the best.

I beat on everything, and whoever said the sound "carries" was spot-on. As I pounded on the PC, I took turns grabbing everything, and when I grabbed that passenger side hanger bracket the sound went away.

It is the passenger side exhaust hanger mount - the black metal U-bracket that is clipped into the transmission aluminum mount. The U-bracket itself is rattling and is loose. Maybe I can jam a piece of rubber in there or something?

I'd rep you guys that nailed it, but it says I gotta spread the love around a bit more.

I feel bad for blaming Mac - but I still think companies should allow cross-shipping. Oh well, at least I don't need to return it now.

I don't mind admitting when I am wrong...and I was. I hope this thread helps someone else down the line.

Oh, and I love the PC. It sounds awesome.
Glad you figured it out man. YOu gotta think though if the shipped you out a piece to replace your while they looked it over than they would have two used units and nothing was even wrong in the first place.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Glad you figured it out man. YOu gotta think though if the shipped you out a piece to replace your while they looked it over than they would have two used units and nothing was even wrong in the first place.
Yea well if they would have spent a little more time on the phone with him they probably could have helped him out the same way this forum did. Its a cop out to tell someone just ship it back on your dime your time.

You have a problem with a BMR part or KOOKS part and they will probably ask for a picture or video to try and eliminate some simple things. They know damn well it cant be the prochamber itself rattling? Like 99%. But it was probably not even a tech person.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea well if they would have spent a little more time on the phone with him they probably could have helped him out the same way this forum did. Its a cop out to tell someone just ship it back on your dime your time.

You have a problem with a BMR part or KOOKS part and they will probably ask for a picture or video to try and eliminate some simple things. They know damn well it cant be the prochamber itself rattling? Like 99%. But it was probably not even a tech person.
It was Manny at Mac.

I just think companies need to have at least one "operational spare" for such occurrences. Again, Mac's PC was not to blame...I was to blame...but what if it really WAS the PC? Now I know what kind of support I *would* get if it really were a manufacturing defect.

Anyway, the craftsmanship on the thing is awesome, and it really does sound good, so I would still consider buying Mac again in the future, but I do wish they had faster shipping and better customer service.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts