Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys need some help. I have a rod knock in my 99 cobra and i plan to pull it and build it. but for the time being i need the car running as its a daily driver. i was going to do the lincoln mk viii swap but decided i wasnt going to be happy with that. that being said i found an 04 mach 1 motor for $2200. i think im going to buy it. is there anything thats different with them as in the sensors and plugs and stuff? to my knowledge it should be pretty much plug and play. i know the automatic is a cast 6 bolt crank and the 5 speed is a forged 8 bolt. its a 5 speed car so it should bolt right up to my trans. i just need to know if theres any major differences that would make this swap not work.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
892 Posts
It will swap right in, no problems.

However, I wouldnt pay that much. Probly wouldn't even pay half that.

You can find forged terminator shortblocks for that price. swaps right in as well, and forged bottom end.

Your gonna pull the motor anyways? Why not just buy a forged rotating assembly and build it yourself? right around same price with machine work if you do the labor yourself.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Or buy a $1000 beater, save for a lil bit, and build your mustang a little slower as money allows?

Lots of options here, but spending $2k for a mach motor shouldn't be one of them.

You have a rod knock, thats it, you really only need the rotating parts. your heads, cams, etc are all fine. Why pay for it? You have the same parts allready.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Or buy a $1000 beater, save for a lil bit, and build your mustang a little slower as money allows?

Lots of options here, but spending $2k for a mach motor shouldn't be one of them.

You have a rod knock, thats it, you really only need the rotating parts. your heads, cams, etc are all fine. Why pay for it? You have the same parts allready.
+1 Definitely agree with that, you HAVE the SAME motor, just the heads are a TINY bit more free flowing. (Correct me if I'm wrong but I've read that)

Also, that Mach engines are the same as Marauder Engines and IMO, they sound a tad, just a tad bit different, but the Cobra's sound better. I'd keep that $2200 and build your engine.

Like what he said, by a beater... Take the bus, ride a bike, if your that serious, you'll find a way. Unless your destinations are miles upon miles apart and you have kids and etc, yata yata yata...

But you get the point

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
that being said i found an 04 mach 1 motor for $2200. i think im going to buy it. is there anything thats different with them as in the sensors and plugs and stuff? to my knowledge it should be pretty much plug and play. i know the automatic is a cast 6 bolt crank and the 5 speed is a forged 8 bolt. its a 5 speed car so it should bolt right up to my trans. i just need to know if theres any major differences that would make this swap not work.
$2200 for a manual trans Mach engine is a great deal. Install your Cobra intake cams and you'll have an excellent engine capable of decent hp and 1/4 mile times.

The cast crank versions in the marauder, auto Mach's and the avaitor are just as good but require a 6 bolt flywheel.

Buy one of these, sell you block for $300, crank for $300, and all the other extra parts and that $2200 outlay will be significantly reduced.

If you don't plan on a supercharger and power over 450rw there's absolutely no reason to build a forged engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts