Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I followed the write up by mixedbreed02GT and swapped out my head unit after it took a crap on me. Sound comes through all the speakers, but sounds muffled. I messed with the eq and such on the deck with no luck. So it's not the head unit. I have a GT with the 460, just like in the write-up. I noticed that my stock head unit had 3 separate plugs going into it, but the metra harness only accommodates 2 plugs. Could this be the problem? I used the same harness, metra # 70-5519.

Anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
no it only needs the 2 plugs plus the antenna

what kind of headunit do you have? if you have like frequency band eq in the headunit, i put all sounds above 150hz up front and all sounds below 130hz in the rear and it sounds like sex. i can finally test these speakers out.

i had the same harness also. its just a matter if finding the sweet spot in the headunit

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a kenwood excelon KDC x591.

I messed with the eq , no luck. I'm gonna re-do the install tomorrow and see if I can find a problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
btw, on your aftermarket unitwhich output are the RCA's from the metra adapter plugged into? I have mine in the Front output

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
If I remember right there is a wire you have to power up in the 3rd harness to turn on the amp for your mids. If this is the same problem I'm thinking of. Does it sound real tinny? (for lack of a better word), Like its just tweeters playing? If thats the case, put your ears up to the mids in the lower part of your door and see if you are getting any sound from them. If not, thats the problem.. I couldn't tell you what color the wire is offhand. All I do is plug the factory radio back in and use a meter or 12v test light to see which wire goes hot when you turn the power on and off at the radio. Or you could get a service manual and find the wire there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The amps are on, and sound comes out through all the speakers. It actually sounds like way too much mid.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I have a Kenwood DPX302. i hooked em up to the left and right front. the internal amp in the headunit will power the fronts and rear amps in the mach 460 will drive the subs.

I have the treble at +8, bass at +1, mid at -6. I have the hertz set as follows: front speakers hz at 150 and above and rear speakers hz set at 130 and below. canceling out the 130-150 hz got rid of the compressed snare drum sound that drove me insane and made it just into a pop like it should be

it sounds crystal clear to me and Im a huge prick when it comes to a compressed sound or any music thats not pure

·
Registered
156 Posts
i just had the kenwood excelon removed from my car along with jl audio amplifiers and in place of my entire old system a sonly explode head unit was put in. The guy at the shop told me that in order to install it he had to bypass the original amplifier to avoid problems. Did you get the bypass harness?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, but do you think I should? I wanted to integrate the stock amps into it. My last one sounded phenomenal. I think I'm gonna have to take it all out [email protected]!

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
No, Its defintiely possible to do. I work at a stereo shop and I have for 9yrs now, trust me, It can be done, I've done it myself.. the only problem is I can't remember how off the top of my head anymore. I remember having to do some wiring of some kind in addition to the metra harness on some of them. I would take it to a stereo shop.. not a big box like best buy or circuit city, they don't know their head from their ass, but a local with some experience, especially one that specializes in custom work, it would be a walk in the park for them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts