Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was listening to it pretty loud today and all of a sudden the bass went out. The tweeters are working but the actual speakers in the doors went out. Is there a fuse for just those components or something?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Not 100% because I've never messed with my 460 ('cause it works:tomato:D) but there might be a fuse located somewhere on the amps

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
amps are in the back under the plastic cover under the speakers, you either blew a fuse or a amp.

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
Most likely a fuse that feeds both amps in the trunk. It is one of the large blade fuses under the hood, I just can't remember which one. It is unlikely you blew both amps at the same time if none of the 6x8 speakers are working. If it is JUST the front look to the amp on the driver's side (I think) as the fault. If you cannot figure it out a good stereo installer (like myself) should be able to troubleshoot it for you.

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
the amp is sometimes located, in the trunk under the passenger seat or behide the glove box I use to install radios, it sounds like your amp died out it happens I dont know how much it will cost to fix it

Id try the fuses first it may be the bass speaker itself

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
Only seen the amps in two locations. In the trunk under the plastic sub enclosure on the coupes, and to the left and righ of the power top pump behind the back seat in convertable.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I couldn't find any fuses blown, I checked all the radio ones. All of the bass speakers went out but the tweeters work fine.

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Call your local circuit city I havnt done that in awhile but I think its only one amp if I remember right

Just tell them and they will tell you what might be wrong

if it is blown it will be a pretty penny to fix

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
In your car, one amp buried inside the dash below the CD player runs the 4 tweeters and sends the signals to the two rear amps. The two rear amps play the 4 6X8s. As for Circuit City, it has been my experiance they don't hire the best Techs for troubleshooting. Do yourself a favor and find a local stereo shop and have an MECP certified tech look at your car.

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
In your car, one amp buried inside the dash below the CD player runs the 4 tweeters and sends the signals to the two rear amps. The two rear amps play the 4 6X8s. As for Circuit City, it has been my experiance they don't hire the best Techs for troubleshooting. Do yourself a favor and find a local stereo shop and have an MECP certified tech look at your car.
+1 most of your big name stores CC, best buy, and the like, have installers that aren't really trained for factory trouble shooting. they're more geared towards installing a radio or a sat. radio. some of them are good, but like bullitt said, you'll be better off finding a smaller, more custom based shop. or, suck it up and take it to the dealership. (if you wanna spend your next three paychecks)

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
im having the same problem my rear amps wont turn on ..does anyone know which fuse it is cuz i have a feeling thats what it is ..
If it is just the rear giving you problems, may be the amp itself. The front and rear amp share the same fuse, #19 (I think) under the hood.

·
Registered
8 Posts
also try fuse 17 and I believe 15 under the dash panel. the front amp does control the rear amps as Bullitt2445 stated. You might want to try and tap into the remot wire on the rear amps and see if they come on thay way. If they do come on then you wasted your front amp and have to get a new one or rip out that system and do a custom install on a nice stereo system.

If they dont come on then it is the rear amps as stated in previous post. Another suggestion is hook up another speaker to the rear and see if they play you may have toasted your speakers. Either way sounds like money to me.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
check all your fuses, if they are good then your amps might have gone out or your speakers. Like Bullit2445 said there is also an amp under you cd player you would have to take it out to access it and none of the amps have fuses on them. I work at best but as there lead tech and it cost 17.99 per 1/4 hour to troubleshoot. Best bet is if you were ever thinking of upgrading do it now. we can bypass the mach system. 49.99 to install h/u, 45.99 to bypass amps, 19.99 for dash kit, 19.99 for harness, and 5.00 materials fee.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
your front subs are run off the amp under your cd player.

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
check all your fuses, if they are good then your amps might have gone out or your speakers. Like Bullit2445 said there is also an amp under you cd player you would have to take it out to access it and none of the amps have fuses on them. I work at best but as there lead tech and it cost 17.99 per 1/4 hour to troubleshoot. Best bet is if you were ever thinking of upgrading do it now. we can bypass the mach system. 49.99 to install h/u, 45.99 to bypass amps, 19.99 for dash kit, 19.99 for harness, and 5.00 materials fee.
The name of your shop is "Best Buy", right? Then why does the shop I manage only charge $50 for the deck install, 20 for the pocket to replace the CD player and 20 for the harness? Sounds like you are $50 HIGHER! Thats why the "Big box" stores are not always the "best" place to get electronics or installation.:2cents

1 - 20 of 21 Posts