Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 99 GT, and I've read all over the place there are problems when installing subs, amps, head units, etc. I really want to install a new head unit (probably a Boss single-din Touch Screen). I also want to install my old sub box & an aftermarket amp to power them.

Here comes the tricky part. All the forums I've read so far have said you can't use the factory speakers with the aftermarket amp, or you can use an amp bypass. I just really want to replace everything but the speakers, and I'm not sure if it's worth my time or if I should just hire a professional to do it.

My 2000 v6 car had some wiring problems when my stepdad tried to install my old system. The amp was constantly pulling power because he didn't run the radio wire properly, causing it to drain my battery if I left the fuse in the power wire for more than 5-6 hours.

Any help and/or prior experience replacing this stuff would be great. I like the stock speakers, I just want more bass.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Well you can't put a double din in yours since you have the 99 interior and that has 2 decks rather than one unit. You can, but you'll have to either swap the console or cut up yours. But everybody is always wrong when it comes to this and it really bugs me. You can implement an aftermarket head unit into your stock system. You just need the correct $20 wiring harness.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
:withhomo. You can add a deck and sub if you want and still maintain the factory amps and speakers. Just like Lefty said you just need the right harness. If you just want to bypass all the amps you dont need to do any rewiring of the system or anything you just need to swap some plugs around and thats it. Ive done it sooo many times on our cars its nothing overlly complicated as to what some people make it out to be.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I really want to keep the stock speakers, but add subs... Are the factory amps going to be able to push the subs? Also, I'm looking at a single din deck with the flip out screen, so it'll clear & only takes up 1 din. Crutchfield's Dual XDVD8181 ships with the tray/cubby to replace the second din.

Really, I just want to know if I swap for a new head unit if I need to rewire for an additional amp to power the subs, because I know I need the factory amps to keep the speakers. If someone could link me to the proper harness, it'd be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
if you are getting an aftermarket deck you can integrate the stock mach system into it and then you will have an output available for your subs. The factory amps are only good for pushing the stock equipment, if you want to add a sub then you will have to get an aftermarket amp.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured I would. I have an amp & sub box already, I'm just not sure how to integrate everything into the existing system. What harness do I need, also?

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
99's

With these cars they are a little different then the SN95's and the later model new edges.

1) As with the 94-98 take the top radio and bottom cd player out.

2) Now with the non MACH systems there are 2 ways that you can wire up your system:

A) you can take the rectangular Gray plug and the square Black plug that you just pulled out and wire them straight up. now with this method be careful with the pins as they sometimes do not line up and when you push them they will make the pins pop out. Also with this method make sure that you power up the amplifier (yes I said amplifier as there is one on the floor board in the radio cavity)

B) you can take the rectangular gray plug (power) and then if you reach behind the amplifier (towards the firewall) there is an amp bypass plug that you can pull out (kind of tricky) that you will wire up and then you are good to go. SCOSCHE Part # 70-5514. when you get this harness you will notice that there is one long harness with 2 female ends on it, this is the one that you will be using and you are gonna cut it and use the larger of the 2.

3) Now on to the MACH's, im just gonna mention the proper way to do this one.

A) take the radio out. take the gray plug and the black square plug and wire them up but the catch with this one is in order to power up the subs what you need to do is either get the harness that already has the speaker wires hooked up to RCA's or connect some RCA's to the speaker wire plug. Now this will also only work if you get a radio that has FRONT/REAR outputs. The speaker wires on the radio harness side you will not be using.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
im trying to find the part # for the harness that has the RCA connections on it

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Reactions: AzSonicSnake

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Alright, so I have to be particular about the deck i get, too, so it has front & rear inputs, right?
Thats if you want to integrate the system. The only way to do that is to get the harness I mentioned and you will need front and rear rca outputs on the back of the radio

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
then you will be fine. now that you know what you need now you just have to narrow down what deck you want. If you want to integrate your system and add a sub you will need to purchase the 70-5510 harness, and a deck that has 3 RCA pre-outs (1 for Fronts, 1 for rears, then 1 for Subs). This will allow you to integrate your stock system and have the capability of adding an amp for your sub/s

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
:love

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Not a problem. That's what I'm here for. Let me know if you need anything else.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Pfft I see how it is...give me no credit :(

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
:lol did you try to edit my post and fail miserably?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts