Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a a 2003 gt with the mach 1000

I have just swapped out the headunit with this

I used the right Metra harness with the RCA plugs.

After installation, there is buzzing anytime a song has heavy bass and it just sounds weak overall. All of my subs and speakers have power but it seams that the subs on the front doors are not working right because it does not feel as strong. I also noticed that with the old system, the rear-view mirrors would shake when the volume was high, but it does not with the new system which makes me think it is the speakers in the doors.

Anyone have a solution to this? Should I replace my speakers or amps?

·
Registered
145 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me last weekend when I replaced the head unit in my 2000 with the mach 460. Waiting to see what my options are.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The exact same thing happened to me last weekend when I replaced the head unit in my 2000 with the mach 460. Waiting to see what my options are.
What unit did you put in? I did some research and it seems these systems are problematic if you switch anything out. Im just trying to find a clear answer. Some people say its fine if you use the right harness but some say you have to replace the whole system.

·
Registered
145 Posts
What unit did you put in? I did some research and it seems these systems are problematic if you switch anything out. Im just trying to find a clear answer. Some people say its fine if you use the right harness but some say you have to replace the whole system.
I installed a Pioneer 3300 I think. The car already had the right harnesses but the cheapo headunit that was already in there blew so I had to replace it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
edit: this post probably won't help much since I missed some information in the op where you said it's just your door speaker subs not working

I can't remember exactly how I did it or what wires I spliced into but ford has some ****ed up wiring for the mach audio system that ultimately I had to get the wiring diagram for the car out and find where the factory subs got power and signal from and then splice two rca cables into the factory wiring harness so I could still have my factory subs work properly...then again I'm guessing this is what the wiring harness you purchased is for. It was a real pain in the ass to figure out how to do but I eventually did get all the mach equipment to work with my new headunit so it is possible, it just took alot of thinking and a wiring diagram

hopefully all your mach radio equipment most likely still works, it just isn't getting power or signal since the speaker and power wires are all made into the factory harness. you basically have to tie a power wire into your factory harness(i used the remote wire) and then a signal wire(rca cables) into your factory harness. I can't remember which wires all these were but I can take a look tomorrow evening when I have some tools and let you know what wires I spliced into where if you'd like.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
edit: this post probably won't help much since I missed some information in the op where you said it's just your door speaker subs not working

I can't remember exactly how I did it or what wires I spliced into but ford has some ****ed up wiring for the mach audio system that ultimately I had to get the wiring diagram for the car out and find where the factory subs got power and signal from and then splice two rca cables into the factory wiring harness so I could still have my factory subs work properly...then again I'm guessing this is what the wiring harness you purchased is for. It was a real pain in the ass to figure out how to do but I eventually did get all the mach equipment to work with my new headunit so it is possible, it just took alot of thinking and a wiring diagram

hopefully all your mach radio equipment most likely still works, it just isn't getting power or signal since the speaker and power wires are all made into the factory harness. you basically have to tie a power wire into your factory harness(i used the remote wire) and then a signal wire(rca cables) into your factory harness. I can't remember which wires all these were but I can take a look tomorrow evening when I have some tools and let you know what wires I spliced into where if you'd like.
Yeah Metra makes an RCA cable wire harness for the system now. All my components seem to have power. There is some bass still, but the sound is just hollow sounding and buzzes. How is your sound quality after the install?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yeah Metra makes an RCA cable wire harness for the system now. All my components seem to have power. There is some bass still, but the sound is just hollow sounding and buzzes. How is your sound quality after the install?
Ah, I wish I could help more but someone else will have to chime in for that. Have you tried messing with your eq settings on your radio? Mine worked but sounded like **** until I got the eq set right. Just a suggestion though

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, I wish I could help more but someone else will have to chime in for that. Have you tried messing with your eq settings on your radio? Mine worked but sounded like **** until I got the eq set right. Just a suggestion though
I have messed with it but the only thing that makes it sound good is to turn off the subs lol.

What are your eq settings? I dont know much about sound/audio.

·
Registered
321 Posts
This is all assuming your eq just needs to be set and that there isn't a problem elsewhere with your audio setup. So take this with a grain of salt until someone smarter than me(basically anyone here, ahah) can chime with their opinion on your problem as well.

I change my eq up alot, all depends on what type of music I'm listening to. For most music though I usually have my treble set on 6-7(7 being the max on my radio) with the frequency on 12.5khz, mids around 4, and bass around 6 or so with frequency at 60hz and the high pass filter(hpf) off. If I want to listen to my music loud I'll turn the hpf up to around 125khz and the bass down to around 4 or so and turn my sub up so there isn't as much bass coming through the door speakers making it pop and sound distorted and like ****.

So if you're listening to mostly rap, I'd turn the hpf up to however high it goes(that way it only lets the HIGHs PASS through your door speakers) and the door subs down so they don't pop and distort and the bump in the trunk up. Rock/metal I prefer the way my scooped mids sound most of the time. The easiest thing to do though is just play around with all your different settings until you find something that sounds good to you.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Mine lets me change EQ settings based on htz, not just treble and bass. Mine basically looks like a "U". Sounds to me like it's probably how you have the head unit set up and your over driving the amps / subs

·
Registered
321 Posts
Mine lets me change EQ settings based on htz, not just treble and bass. Mine basically looks like a "U". Sounds to me like it's probably how you have the head unit set up and your over driving the amps / subs
That's one thing that confused the hell out of me about mine when I first installed it, it's the only headunit I've ever had that used both the 1-7 setup and hz together.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Does the buzzing sounds change pitch with rpm, or for that matter, change pitch at all?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes and it is not constant. Only when a song hits certain bass notes. I used a lot of diffrent genres of music to test my system. The bass line to this track:
specifically caused the buzz alot. Also heavy rock music is pretty weak.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
wonder if it's not a ground or splicing issue. For it to be EQ related, it would be pretty consistent.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I mean it is consistent but not constant. It is not in all music, just certain bass notes. I will try to mess with the EQ a bit. My options are:

P.EQ Low Mid High(-10 through 10, 200Hz-2kHz for each) Q:2N,1N,1W,2W
Loudness: Low, Mid, High
Subwoofer1: Normal, Reverse
Subwoofer2: 50-100Hz (0-4)
Bass Booster: 0-5
HPF: 50-125 HZ
SLA: -4 - +4

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For example the bass in this song:
buzzes every other note. The highs are fine though. You mentioned that my amps or subs might be overloaded. This sounds like it could be it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts