Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the difference between the 2004 mach 1 and the 2004 gt? the mach 1 has 305hp at the crank while the gt has 260. whats the difference?
Ive got a 04 v6 and im thinking about doing a swap. whats your thoughts?

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Mach 1 has 4V heads, aluminum block. Also the 5 speeds have a forged steel crank, which the rev to 6800rpm. The auto's rev to about 5800rpm (same as GT)

Also the Mach 1s are a bit under rated from the factory. They run very low 13's stock with a good driver. I think theres been a few people that ran high 12's bone stock.

The rods and pistons are the same. But the Mach 1 has a higher compression ratio. They also make really good torque.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Better yet, if its got a pony on it period, its slow. Look for an emblem of a snake and thats the only one you want. If not, dont waste your time going from extremely slow (v6) to slow.

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
hahahaha yea they do. But like said above, the Mach 1 uses DOHC 4 valve heads, which allows the engine to breathe better and speed up cylinder combustion via creating turbulence within the chamber. The compression is also higher and it has an aluminum block. Better engine design than the 2v, but still somewhat rudimentary compared to what can be done with engine design these days.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
If you are considering doing a 4.6 swap, look for a lincoln aviator motor, it will cost half what a mach motor would and is pretty much the same thing.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
i'll take a Mach over a Termi for sure.

the Mach1's are a 10.1:1 CR to a 8.5:1 of the termi. Heads are the same. The cobra has a high volume oil pump also. The mach1 has an intake manifold compared to the blower of course. As stated and alum block to an iron block of the termi

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
I mean off the start yes but to make it reliable I'd built it even if was a stock termi block.

I mean at 800rwhp a sumped return would be better then a cobra tank, the alum is nice, have the 4v heads, get some 98 cobra cams, port the mach1 intake, have a SRA already, ect. Just my opinion

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
daily driver, i would go with the mach over the gt. for a drag built car i would go with the auto mach. sure it does not have a forged crank but the 4r75w is worth the loss of the crank. forged bottom end, rear end, and a lot of boost is a sick combo.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
Well i want to keep it as a Daily Driver
let me give you some advice then...keep the v6. Don't add any mods, don't build it, and don't do anything stupid in it...make it the best damn DD you can. Now save...save until you can buy something with a 32v. That way you have a fun quick play car, and a reliable DD that'll save you gas when needed...sure you may not like the idea of not have a v8 now, but you'll be much happier having the best of both worlds.

it's basically my plan right now. im selling the GT, i have a v6 sitting here in my driveway waiting on new plates....and this summer im gonna hunt down a fox for a weekend build car

·
KCCO
5,979 Posts
Idk, I kinda agree with 6er, but I am absolutely loving my GT right now. GT's will be cheaper, and you can have more fun building it if you do the work yourself. If it's going to be a dd, I dont feel than you will need anything crazy, or plan on doing that you cannot accomplish with a GT. Get a GT, supercharge it, get some suspension components, and enjoy!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts