Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have seen a lot of threads that detail the steps of washing/detailing the car. I have not seen a thread that explains ONLY Machine Polishing and what items you need to get started. I see a lot of confusion in this sense, so I wanted to make this post to give everyone an idea of what they need to purchase to get started with Machine Polishing, not just how to use it.

Polisher

The most common polisher for a begginer is the Porter Cable 7424XP. This polisher is a DA, Dual Action, Orbital polisher. What this means is the polsiher oscilates instead of circulating like traditional Rotarys. This reduces the heat generated on the paint, thus removing most if not all of the risk from burning your paint.

Porter cable 7424XP - AutoGeek

Polisher Pads

What pads you need always depend on the vehicle you are working on. If you are only removing very light swirls then you will not need anything above a orange pad. If it has very heavy swirls, you will need one or more yellow pads. This is a good idea that will cover most vehicles:

• Yellow Pad - x1
  • Orange Pad - x3
  • White Pad - x1
  • Gray Pad - x1
  • Blue Pad - x1 (optinal use with your least abrasive polish for "Jeweling")
Another thing you need is the Cleaner and Conditioner for these pads. This helps in cleaning after use, preping the pad to remove "Dry Buffing", and preserving the pads.

Lake Country CSS Smart 5.5inch Pads
XMT Pad Care Combo (Cleaner & Conditioner)

Hook & Loop Backing Plate

Simply a heavy duty Velcro plate that attaches your pads to the polisher with ease. Can withstand more abuse and speed than the OEM backing plate that comes with the Porter Cable 7424XP. Rated for 12000 RPMs and the PC only goes to 6000 OPMs

HD 5inch Backing Plate

The Polish

Now this is not something that I can give you a "One size fits all". All polishes work differently and all polishes have pros and cons. A good starting set is the XMT Line. It is easy to use and provides a very good base for your first go.

• XMT #1 (your least abrasive, finishing polish)
  • XMT #2 (more abrasive, still fine)
  • XMT #3 (More abrasive, sometimes the first step)
  • XMT #4 (Pure Compound, used for the most sever swirls)
XMT Swirl Remover Bundle

The Glaze

Glaze adds that extra "pop" and is effect at filling in some of the left over swirls from your polish. This as well is a user defined product. What Joe likes, Mary may not like. This is simply a good place to start:

• Light Colored vehicle (White, Light Silver, Gray, Light Blues ect.) - Poorboy's White Diamond
  • Dark Colored vehicle (Black, Red, Dark Silvers, Dark Blues, ect.) - Poorboy's Black Hole
Poorboy's Black Hole Glaze
Poorboy's White Diamond Glaze

The Sealant

This is an optinal product, but so worth it. Sealants are synthetic waxes that last longer and provide extra protection to the paint. Again, a user defined product that is open to interpetation.

• Poorboy's World EX-P Sealant
Poorboy's World EX-P Sealant

The Wax

This is probally THE most user defined product. There are so many waxes on the market there is no way to try them all unless your a detailer. Some waxes cost hundreds and are worth every penny. Some cost little and are worth hundreds. A good start would be these waxes for their performance, price, and longevity.

• Poorboy's Nattys Paste Wax - Original (overall good original formula)
  • Poorboy's Nattys Paste Wax - Blue (good for dark colored cars)
  • Poorboy's Nattys Paste Wax - Red (Good for all colors, glossiest formula)
Natty's Original
Natty's Blue
Natty's Red

The Microfiber and Applicators

I know what your thinking: "Why do I need to buy more Micofiber? I know what that is and I have some!". I thought the same thing... however, if you are using sub quality micofiber I don't care how good you polish... the swirls will be right back. This is a good inexpensive pack that will last you a good while. There are better more expensive Microfiber out there as well, but this is a "Started" guide. You will also need Foam Applicators for your sealants and waxes.

You will also need detergent specifically formulated to clean and rejuvinate your Microfiber.

• Speciality Motoring MF Buffing Towels
  • Wax/Sealant Foam Applicators
  • Pinnicale Microfiber Rejuvinator
12 Pack Soft Edge Microfiber Buffing Towels
Pinnicale 6-Pack Foam Applicators
Pinnicale Microfiber Rejuvinator

RECAP

• Polisher
  • Pads
  • Pad Cleaning system
  • Backing Plate
  • Polisher
  • Glaze
  • Sealant
  • Wax
  • Microfiber/Foam Applicators
  • Microfiber cleaner

NOTE: These are not the say-all do-all products. Every product mentioned may not work for you. It simply takes experimenting and trying different products. This was meant as a "Getting Started" guide so people know what is needed beyond a polisher.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Excellent post. I'm starting a shopping list.

You don't happen to have a post about how to apply all these items to the car do you? Such as time between the sealer and the wax? A specific method you use? etc?

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent post. I'm starting a shopping list.

You don't happen to have a post about how to apply all these items to the car do you? Such as time between the sealer and the wax? A specific method you use? etc?
I was thinking about making a thread related specifically to the process of the machine related parts. I am not an expert at this as well since I just started. There are other sticky post that detail the overall process of detailing and one of them goes into the process some.

Check them out here: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/general-car-care-detailing/148543-cleaning-detailing-center-read-learn-buy-polish-scrub.html

I will see about doing a post for the process of applying polish.

Excellent. Thank you! I came in here with questions.. and this post answered ALL of them!
Great! That is what I intended to do. Glad you got something good out of it.

·
Buy American or GTFO
515 Posts
Looks like a great write up! Looking to detail my car this spring! Looks like a fun do-it-yourself. +reps

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like a great write up! Looking to detail my car this spring! Looks like a fun do-it-yourself. +reps
Its fun for the first few body panels... then its just work Lol. However when you step back and look at the work, its worth it.

·
Buy American or GTFO
515 Posts
Just like most long projects. I want to shine up my clear and make this baby shine!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I was looking at my hood the other day and I have crows feet and it is to late to color sand. Every time I wash my car I want to cry.

·
eeeee!
7,204 Posts
I've spent HOURS looking at the AutoGeek website.. Trying to piece what I think I need together, and in the end, I am thinking this is a pretty good package..

Poorboy’s Porter Cable 7424XP Polish & wax Kit

wait... a ... second!!
Nevermind.

If I take

Poorboy’s Porter Cable 7424XP Polish & wax Kit ( 80 bucks)

add the backing plate.. 20 bucks.

and then get the Portercable for 120

The total comes to Less than 260 bucks.. for the same exact kit! Total = 216....

Autogeek is trying to bamboozle me.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I've spent HOURS looking at the AutoGeek website.. Trying to piece what I think I need together, and in the end, I am thinking this is a pretty good package..

wait... a ... second!!
Nevermind.

Hope you don't plan on using that in the sun or even the heat for that matter. That backing plate will probably last you all of 2 details before it fails. They're garbage.

Also, unless you don't have a problem cleaning you pads about every 2 panels, then I suggest getting more pads.

You'll also need sealant. Poorboy's EX-P is fine.

Also, this is just from my experience, our cars have a harder than normal clearcoat. Our's is just about as hard as a Corvette's. Smaller pads give more cut. A 6.5" pads is the BIGGEST you should go on a PC. While the 7424XP has a whopping 500 mA difference in the motor :)rolleyes:) you still won't see quick results. To get anything our of the 6.5" pads you'll be there for HOURS per panel.

I personally like the 5.5" pads or the 4" ones. The 4" ones are good on the front bumper, and that annoying little ridge right hear the driver and passenger side windows (right near the weather gaskets), as well as the side skirts. The 5.5" pads offer enough cut to get the job in a reasonable time.

Just think of it this way. Bigger pad = more weight. More weight = more work the motor in the PC has to do. That means it'll be less efficient and not oscillate to it's full potential which also means less cut.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts

wait... a ... second!!
Nevermind.

If I take

Poorboy’s Porter Cable 7424XP Polish & wax Kit ( 80 bucks)

add the backing plate.. 20 bucks.

and then get the Portercable for 120

The total comes to Less than 260 bucks.. for the same exact kit! Total = 216....

Autogeek is trying to bamboozle me.
They do that alot... It's always best to piece together your own kit. I've never used the PB SR series, but I've heard some good things about it.

Just remember these are the essentials.

PC 7424XP
HD 5.5" backing plate ( the only one on AG that's worth a damn to me)
Intermediate polish (= to SR2.5)
Fine polish ( = SR1)
Sealant
Wax
Foam Applicators
at least 3 orange pads
3 white pads (can be done with 1. It doesn clog up as quickly as the orange to me)
1000W worklight
Isopropyl Alcohol

I do not know how bad your paint is, but it may require a compound in which case, buying the Pinnacle XMT bundle would be your best bet as well as adding a yellow cutting pad to the pad group.

Normally the black cars are the easiest, yet the hardest. Easy because you can actually see your work happening, but hard because once you get one panel really nice, you want the rest to be the same. They also show EVERYTHING.

·
eeeee!
7,204 Posts
Just placed my order and discovered on Retailmenot.com that the Coupon code "Autotpia" gets you 10% off your entire order!! I saved 10 bucks.. I'm excited! and can't wait to get this in the mail!! I also just ordered a lensbaby for my camera that I am also completely stoked about.

·
Registered
351 Posts
can everything [polish,sealant,glaze,wax] be applied with the DA? or only the polish with the DA and the other by hand with foam applicators?

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
All can be applied with a DA with the proper pads. Glazes shouldn't be needed if the polishing steps are performed correctly.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
i cant wait to buy a porter cable and all the products im really liking adams line im thinking of making my purchae from them since i cant find it here locally i el paso.... and get my all the swirlmarks out and get it to shine like your guys and mainly to protect it

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I've never used the Adam's stuff, but from the looks of it it seems to be more of a learning product just like the XMT stuff; polish wise. After you get the hang of the machine and some sort of a technique, dump the the money into real polishes like Menzerna Powe rGloss, Super Intensive Polish, 106FA, P085RD, or Meguiar's M105/205. So far I have yet to find a car that M105/205 with 3M Ultrafina (rotary only) can't tackle. With a DA use Menzerna P085RD as the final finishing polish on a gray LC pad. Also, try to get the FLAT pads. you want as much surface contact as possible with the DA polishers. The CCS pads seem as thoguh they were designed for rotaries because of the pockets. They help keep heat down wihch is always a problem with rotary polishers, but not the case with DA's.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
thanks for the info zinc ill look for the packages on autogeek for those products to see which one im going purchase i just asked you the same question on the other thread about the adams line sorry

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
It's all good. I'm keeping up. weems is also great with detailign knowledge. Hit him up as well.

As far as deals go, better ones can be found other than AG. Try out detailedlimage.com, pakshack.com, detailing.com. Those are the only others I can think of off the top of my head. As far as microfiber goes, Cobra seems to be having a quality control issue as of late because MOST of their MF is linting from the factory and after washes. I'm not the only on in this boat. I recommend getting ALL Pakshack MF.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts