Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
yes lots of this, hahah, you should be able to find a butt load of threads on this that are recent

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
The only disadvantage is cost. MAF is superior because it actually reads the MASS of air coming into the motor. Then it can automatically adjust for cool dense air, thin mountain air, etc. Its also much easier to tune if you are adding FI.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
I have a 1987 gt i was wondering what are the advantages and dis advantages of having a MAF compared to to a SD?
It depends if you are talking stock or aftermarket systems. Some of the best EFI systems are speed density systems.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Well its not really worth converting to MAF is your not gunna beef up your Engine, But like Kuskye said, there are a ton of recent threads that can answer that question for ya.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right now it has exhaust, and im about to put on a cobra intake. Im eventually gonna do alot more, everything except the bottom end.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
The only disadvantage is cost. MAF is superior because it actually reads the MASS of air coming into the motor. Then it can automatically adjust for cool dense air, thin mountain air, etc. Its also much easier to tune if you are adding FI.
Speed density also adjusts for those things (that is the density part). Speed density works by measuring the barometric pressure, air charge temperature, throttle position, engine load, etc... Then it calculates how much air the engine is using and how much fuel it should get based on the engine being a stock 302. The advantage of MAF is that it self adjusts to the requirements of the engine, thus it adapts to modifications better. However, you can get a chip burned for you SD setup for each round of modifications...just gets expensive.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
It depends if you are talking stock or aftermarket systems. Some of the best EFI systems are speed density systems.

+100000000

All depends on what you have and how your going about tuning it.
I know in the future I will be stepping up to a standalone and ditching the MAF.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
Speed density also adjusts for those things (that is the density part). Speed density works by measuring the barometric pressure, air charge temperature, throttle position, engine load, etc... Then it calculates how much air the engine is using and how much fuel it should get based on the engine being a stock 302. The advantage of MAF is that it self adjusts to the requirements of the engine, thus it adapts to modifications better. However, you can get a chip burned for you SD setup for each round of modifications...just gets expensive.
Straight MAP based systems work fine for FI as long as the MAP is still in range, and yeah, most stand alone ecus are map based. The vane system used on some of the 5.0s is garbage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts