Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I received a Steeda cold air intake as a present and while installing it, I noticed the screen in the MAF housing does not fit well with the Steeda design. So I installed without the screen. Will this cause any issues when driving? I searched and found some maybe, possible, could, not sure answers and would like to know if it's in the Steeda design or could the screen just be removed any time since it's main function is to just organize air....

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The screen is to create a laminar flow of air through the MAF, so that the small sample of flow measured by the MAF sensor more accurately represents the total flow through the housing. It does not impede air flow in any way, however removing it can cause driveability issues--read more about it here...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The screen is to create a laminar flow of air through the MAF, so that the small sample of flow measured by the MAF sensor more accurately represents the total flow through the housing. It does not impede air flow in any way, however removing it can cause driveability issues--read more about it here...
Really good information there... The screen wouldn't fit with the gasket (provided by Steeda) and the design of the cold air kit. If I use the screen there is a gap where I would be drawing in unfiltered air.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Really good information there... The screen wouldn't fit with the gasket (provided by Steeda) and the design of the cold air kit. If I use the screen there is a gap where I would be drawing in unfiltered air.
Yeah I know I installed one for a friend who's "all thumbs"--you would think Steeda would know better...

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Dammit Cliffy you and your "engineer" thinking. Always so proper and by the book. lol Many of us threw that screen away years ago with no ill effect. Just try it. If your car developes issues then put it back. I doubt you'll ever miss it.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Dammit Cliffy you and your "engineer" thinking. Always so proper and by the book. lol Many of us threw that screen away years ago with no ill effect. Just try it. If your car developes issues then put it back. I doubt you'll ever miss it.
My engine did have issues with it removed, a slight surging at very light loads and and engine speeds--noticeable mostly in 4th and 5th gear...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts