Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an aftermarket Hurst Billet shifter. During a recent road trip, I noticed a rattle/ vibration in it. Got under to tighten everything today and broke the threaded portion of the remote linkage off with my socket wrench. (Yeah me at 135 lbs broke a bolt with a 6 inch long socket wrench.) Ford only sells the shift link with the shifter itself, so $310! Anyone know of a company that sells just the link, either Ford or aftermarket? It doesn't come with any shifters as far as I know. Itls the piece that actually connects the shifter to the transmission. Need this fixed or I got a 3600 lb paperweight sitting diagonally in my garage. Thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, here's the update. Maybe this will help anyone else that finds themselves in a similar situation. I got a name from the Ford parts manager. Innovative Performance Technologies in Plainfield, IN. They said they can drill out the old stud and will just tap it again and install a new one, add some hard foam (almost plastic) washers on each side and get it back to me tomorrow. $50-60 depending on if they have the tap set or need to buy one. They supply products for www.buystifflers.com and have been represented at an event hosted by John Force at his shop here, so they know what they're doing. They're mostly chassis stiffening products, and are going to have a complete system out for the S197 in another month. After talking with him, I'll remind everyone that suspension and chassis stiffening will improve your car at least as much, if not more than extra power, and is where upgrades need to start if you want to get the most performance out of your car. The stock chassis and suspension can't really even handle the factory power so adding to it without additions in those areas is only going to exacerbate the problems. Anyway, I'll try to provide an update on Friday after I get it reinstalled, if anyone cares.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, IPT did what they had said they would. I added some plastic washers and some grease and put it back together. It works great, but still have the vibrating issues at half throttle or more in any gear. I think it's inside the shifter itself after checking it out this morning. I had read some other threads with the same issues, and it was the Hurst itself. So, maybe have to look into getting a new one swapped as I've only had it for like 9 months and it should still be under warranty. Anyone know do I contact Hurst themselves or Summit Racing where I bought it from? Will they make me send it back and inspect it before they send me a new one, or will I just get sent a new one? I really hate to be without my car for weeks while the shifters are crisscrossing the country in the mail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts