Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
every once and a while when accelerating from the low end of 1st or 2nd. We thought it was the clutch but it is brand new. it also throws a "Cam position sensor" (not every time)code and we put new ones on it. Oil pressure is good..35psi... tensioners are new... when it make this god awful noise I turn it off right away and restart it and it is gone... it did this when the last shop built it and it is doing the same thing with my new builder (my nephew has a Mustang speed shop w/dyno).. the short block,tranny, clutch are all brand new so we think it is in the heads and the noise is the timing chains slapping around in there.. has anyone ever heard of this and do you think cam phasers will help.. the car runs great and I am just over 300 mi on my break in period so I would love to get this figured out before I bang on it again...thanks!

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no... it only happens at low rpms with very little throttle... it still drives fine but there has to be something wrong for it to be making that noise... no phasers yet and tensioners are new

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
definitely not a rod if its at very little throttle...did you check your chain tension on your cam phasers?

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do I have stock cam phasers?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad cam phaser. Are you running stock cams or aftermarket? 35 psi of oil pressure is low if you are running the VCT, my car with VCT locked our has 80-90 psi of oil pressure on start up and 50-60 psi hot and I'm using 10-40 oil.

If it is the VCT acting up I wouldn't beat on it since the computer freaks out when the cam isn't where it supposed to be. I would put limiters on it and be done.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep.. the shop that did my original build changed ownership for the worst... can't get any info because they changed staff and computers... I can't get my tune file and my invoice wasn't as detailed as I needed it to be... we don't know fore sure if they replaced the valve springs or not... def not the phasers... so we are going to go back in after the breakin and initial dyno and install new phase limiters and locks... also going to put some blower cams in it, i think. just don't want to kill the drivability

·
Registered
335 Posts
Damn dude, I've followed your posts for awhile and I thought that you would have been done with everything the last time it was under the knife, lol !

Hope you get it figured out with the shop and get her right again.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
mine rattles on start up after ive been away for a few weeks...just for a second...i thought is was oil drain back but i was told its more likely a slowly leaking tensioner or lifter...i guess it could be a phaser as well but i have limiters installed so not sure....can you get a vid of it doing it?

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can drive it so it never does it... I really don't want to make it do it because it is a very bad sound... but the thing is that there has to be something not quite right somewhere in there.. after the phasers and limiters I will try to vid it doing or not doint the deed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts