Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2001 Mustang GT that I am having professionally converted to a Shinoda Boss, I would like to keep everyone posted on how this goes. My Mustang has 12000 miles on it and basically looks like it did the day I took it from the showroom floor in 2002. The car is a Premium edition, Yellow with black leather inside, 5-speed. I am adding a 2004 Cobra hood and the Shinoda package has a large rear spoiler and front air dame. It will have the graphics work done in black gloss paint. As for future performance upgrades I am changing to a new intake set up plenum and cold air intake, I am also tuning the car for performance, I will also have a new exhaust system installed soon. As for wheels it has the stock Bullet wheels but I am going to change the back wheels to a wider 17 by 9 inch instead of the 17 by 8 it comes with. The one issue with the 2001 GT is that the wheels and tires are to small for the car. I also hate the stock GT hood scope as it does nothing but collect water when you wash it and then cause drag. I hope this goes well and the cool thing is this is the only way to convert an older Mustang into a nicer model and have it on a registry as a special Mustang. Updates in the coming weeks.

Any ideas or suggestions would be cool.

·
amateur adult film star
1,040 Posts
make sure you send pics and dynos

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For sure well do the pics as for the dynos I did not plan on putting the car on a dyno but what I am hoping for is something over 300 HP and 350 would be perfect. I just want to be able to out run the heavy new GTs.

·
amateur adult film star
1,040 Posts
well if its gonna be a real boss it will have the boss 302 in it and that makes over 300 so you should but ive betten them with my stock 99 be 4 they are heavy

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its still going to have the 4.6 Stock motor in it but I am going to get the HP up a little, basically I am going to do easy mods to get the most I can out of the car, keep in mind I am in California and so I have an inspection issue (SMOG Check), so I can not do to much to the car. If I get more than 300HP I will be very happy and the car will look great. Anyone interested in making a Shinoda Boss I can help you do that as it is pretty easy and the team has different levels of the car so you can start with a basically stock Mustang or make a fire breathing Dragon of a car. The Shinoda Team currently makes the most powerful production Mustang based on a Cobra Mustang. With over 1000 HP but then again who wants a car like that on the street, well I do for sure.
Team Shinoda.com

·
Forever in our hearts travis_afx
4,391 Posts
Bullits are nice wheels, but I think you could find something a little more unique that would go good with the new exterior stuff.

Keep us posted with pics.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
At least do deep dish bullitts in the rear

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you getting it certified? Then I vote Mach rims. Have you had any problems with Team Shinoda? I'm looking to build a 98 into a Gen I and get it certified, but haven't been able to reach them...

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
I suggest 18" Chrome Saleen type wheels, and FI put like an 8 psi vortech blower on it. you'll make more than what you're looking to make without compromising emissions equipment.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, you know I kind of have decided to not do the Shinoda Boss package with my Mustang, here is why, First the graphics cost about a grand and to have them sprayed on how I would like it would cost me over 3000 and to be honest that is crazy for some stripes. I also did not like the Shinoda Hood graphics, it is just way to busy and I would never put that many decals on my car. So I tried to get Jim to modify the graphics so I could just have a black painted hood something I want anyway and he was not exactly working with me so I said screw it. Instead I can spend about $5000 and have a Vortex Super Charger installed and have a real fast car. I am just waiting for the new BBK Intake to be certified for use in California and I will have a Super Charged Mustang. The Money is ready for it. I also have been thinking about doing the old 69-70 graphics for a Boss on my car instead because I can have my black hood then and it will look like an old Boss. I might even go with a P-51 package that is being made because I love the fighter plane as well. But first I want to Super Charge it and then I can play with the body and suspension. I also have been thinking about wider rubber and will do that. Frank

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Yea..no such thing as a 2001 Boss, so lets not waste the $$$ on pretty paint/stickers. Instead of a "Vortex" look into a Procharger, Kenne Belle or Vortech. That will get ya going fast, but do some research as all perform different. And quit worring about the intake untill you have boost.

·
amateur adult film star
1,040 Posts
holy thread revival batman

·
Registered
468 Posts
if ur getting a vortech it would be a waste to get a bbk intake...u wouldnt be able to use it

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
okay let me clear some things up, yes I am talking about the addition of a Vortech Super Charger kit sorry if I spelled that wrong. As for the BBK intake I am talking about the 78mm plenum that replaces the stock throttle body and plenum. This BBK intake would just bolt in place of the stock unit and the Vortech air intake would go directly into it. Unless I am mistaking it is a direct replacement and would give the intake more breathing room. The Vortech kit is rated at about 106 hp and the intake adds about 10-20 hp so I am hoping for around 370-380 hp from the car, then again guys I am doing it for shows and to have a little hotter car I am not going to abuse it hard okay. I am also going to add some Violator Cat Back exhaust system pipes to the car and that might get it near 400 hp. A pretty nice car for a stock looking Yellow Mustang. I am also thinking about later adding fender bulges to give the car the Tran-Am look with a fabricated rear spoiler but that is long down the road. Who knows if I get a Shelby by then or we run out of gas. I am for sure going with deep dish wheels and I am going to add the extraction hood or something like it to help cool the motor down after the upgrade, the car is yellow and the hood will be black as it should be.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
the trottle body/plenum combo from bbk works fine with the vortech. that is exactly what i am running and i really like it. dont put that pieace on though until you got the blower on there or you will just be hurting yourself as a 78mm is to big for stock

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the advice and that is exactly what I am going to do. I am currently waiting for the BBK unit to be certified for use in California and it has held me up for a few months now. In California all intake parts and pollution parts need a CARB number/certification to be installed and it really sucks but I am going to do this by the law so I don't have issues later. The BBK unit is the coolest plenum out there so I am waiting, BBK told me they submitted the paperwork to ARB California and are themselves waiting for the results. As I know California is a slow ass State for sure.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
it sucks but you gotta do what you gotta do. I live in British Columbia so i dont really have any of those problems. but that would truly make me mad if i coudlnt mod my car without approval

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am still waiting but to be honest it is a good thing as some new parts are coming out and I like the idea of the new Votech unit with self lubrication so you do not have to run a lubrication line into the oil pan. Just waiting on BBK to get their certification done ****.:sorry

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay I have an update for you guys. 2001 Yellow GT Mustang Supercharged!

I have a Vortech (V3 self lubricated) on my car and I had it reprogrammed with a sweet upgraded SCT Program (what ever those lap top guys do there) and the car put out 337 rear wheel H.P. and about the same Foot Pounds. I have done the calculations with percentage loss added up and the car is putting out about 370 to 380 H.P. Currently I have not changed anything on the outside, soon I am going to add 275/40/17 tires to the rear with 9 inch wheels, I am going to buy a softer compound tire much more sticky then the stock Eagles. After that a cat back exhaust is coming, the car just needs to sound a little more nasty (Violators from Pypes). The black hood is coming after that (still have not come to a conclusion on the type of hood). I am going to replace the lower A arms on the front end as they came stock unpainted from Ford and they are the only parts on the car that are rusting, one of the worst things Ford has ever done (stupid move Ford).

By the way to let everyone know the tuner shop manager told me the supercharger is amazing and it wanted to take the horse power much higher than where it is now 60 to 70 more horse power but I told him to keep it safe so he programed and detuned it to a safe level so the V3 can put out a lot of H.P. if you want it and if your motor can handle it, my motor is stock so I am not going to push it. It is a show car! Now I am 500 pounds less than a 03-04 Cobra but about the same power so look out Terminator guys. And 01 Cobra guys just step aside!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts