Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone made the GT hood scoop functional? I heard that you have to support it too otherwise it will fly off. I am interested in doing this but i want to know if its even worth the effort.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i was wondering about this to, i will be watching this post.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
iv seen a guy that done it, iv heard some guys on here that say it will not really serve a purpous. sure it will force a little air to cool your engine, but air wont be the only thing going in. i dont think it would be worth the effort, i would just save your money and get a functional shaker hood, or a heat extracting hood or somthing

·
Registered
915 Posts
Ive got the Cobra RR hood with the SVO scoop and its fully functional. It keeps my engine nice n cool while im driving.

·
Registered
156 Posts
it will provide some cool air benefit. i plan on doing this. somewhere on here i saw some pics of it done. i'll see if i can find them again. but i have also heard of the scoop flying off but don't know if thats true or not.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
mine is cut out and functional... not sure of the benefit, but I do know that on a road course the frikken scoop was shaking like it wanted to come off!

·
Registered
32 Posts
bummer, question tho can you use a shaker or blower with a sc?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I wont be making it functional.

·
Registered
498 Posts
my hood scoop is functional. and its on there tight. also i added the ram air kit and it feels great. ill take a pic of it and post it later on.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Ram air with a scoop that low doesn't really work so well...There's not enough air pressure in the center of the hood for it to catch any real "ram air" effect. This is why with an SC it'd be a restriction. Instead of taking free air from the fender well...The SC has to pull air through a tube snaked up to a scoop that doesn't collect much air anyways..It would be a huge restriction (compared to the fender well) if this was it's only source of air supply.

Most of the air pressure is on the front of the car and up at the cowl...The hood is in an aerodynamic area so to speak...the air flows right past. If you want ram air, i'd either remove the headlight or make a scoop under the front bumper or something along those lines...It'd have to be on the front of the car's face.

·
Registered
498 Posts
yeah i heard that an intakes work better than ram air kits but this was after i had gotten the kit:(

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
you need to remember that the center of the hood is actually a slightly lower pressure then the leading and trailing edge of the hood. this is why cowl hoods work so well. the air basically hits the front of the car, goes up a bit and comes back at the base of the windshield. I believe that if you have a cowl it is sucked in from there.

the only reason mine is functionall is the guy that owned this car before me cut it out. when I got the hood replaced after my wreck I told the shop not to wory about cutting it out again, but they had already cut it and smoothed it for paint. Oh well.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
matt02gt what about water? how did u prevent it from reaching the engine?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Doing it this weekend as soon as the S/C install is done :D

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
matt02gt what about water? how did u prevent it from reaching the engine?
Are ya scuba diving? I can power wash it and the engine barley gets wet :dunno

1 - 20 of 44 Posts