Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curoius because There's not really a place to check for fluid and I really don't want to buy a whole bottle of fliud just to use 1/4 of it because I don't have room to put it in. So someone help me out here. Someone said I could put it in from my shifter but I don't beleive that. It'll be nice to know I have fresh fluid in without spending 80 bucks on a change

Thanks

·
Registered
569 Posts
i fill mine by the shifter...

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
use dextron III or IV(4) (not sure if thats right) ATF NOT GEAR LUBE!! and fill it from the shifter or the top plug (3/8") rachet square plug until it starts coming out of that plug.. ither way that plug has to come out.. make sure u are on level ground also. if u fill it where the shifter is make sure u put some silicone there when u seal it back up

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I bet auto zone told you gear lube back years ago when i blew up my first tranny put the new one in and wasent sure what kind of atf to use the guy at autozone alm ost refused to sell it to me saying that it took gear oil. Iam like look here dumb ass its tranny fluid see look at my shirt and arms and jacket its all over me lol

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
good ole gm stuff works great

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've been running mercron 5 in mine for a while and have not had any problems. Use at your own risk. I just decided to use it one day. I figured it couldn't hurt plus I believe it's a synthetic blend.

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, not being a rude person but "Don't know for sure" and "Use at your own risk because..." does not help me determine what's right from wrong. Does anyon know for sure what trans oil to use? E3sean you sound more correct on this matter, please find the name to use so I can have smooth shifts again and know for a fact that I have fluid in my tranny. I'm kinda confisued on the "ATF NOT GEAR LUBE" part. don't know if you're telling me to use or not to use LOL

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
ANY atf will work.....dont use gear oil.....its that simple.....cant go wrong with royal purple....you can also use something called syncromax from royal purple

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok that's much better LOL. So snag a bottle or two from Autozone or jegs under the ATF name, not being gear oil. So more of "Tranny Fluid" like look for something for "Works on manual transmissions". Got it

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
ATF (automatic transmission fluid) dextron III (3) is what the tranny calls for u can use dextron IV (4) cause it will mix with the dextron III that is in there stock. u can use royal purple just drain the fluid that is in there now then fill it up with royal purple... i just use castrol ATF dextron IV

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AHH OK, yeah I see that bottle every time I walk into autozone.

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought "Royal Purple" is the ****? Who in the hell is Roral Purple? A Knock off copied brand of Royal Purple?... I'm playin I knew what you meant. LOL

·
Registered
685 Posts
has anyone used royal purple in their trans ? I think I read somewhere on the forum that guys were having issues running that stuff in the tranny .

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've got amsoil, but have only been using it a couple of weeks. I've always used plain castrol stuff and never had a problem. You can fill from the shifter but you still need to pull the top plug to see when it filled. I would just assume fill it from down there while I can see it start running out.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
i am running royal purple atf but i have only had it in a few weeks.....no problems yet though:dunno

1 - 20 of 31 Posts