Modded Mustang Forums banner
81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok ty good to know... should i allso just grab the steering coloum from the manuel too.. i think they want 75 bucks for it with keys? i would like everything to function as if they car came standard from factory...i have a bama hand held and they said they could tune anything i needed so that is a plus that i have it already...

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
No you will need to get the harness for the from the manual. And have a tune written that shuts the auto functions off in ecu.
There is no need for a new tune. It wont change how it drives. The only thing that needs to be changed in the tune is oss for the speedo to read correctly.

Also, you dont need the steering column. If you switched keys, the key would no longer match the gauge cluster and ecu.....therefore pats wouldnt allow the car to start. Bama cant tune for that. Also, id recommend getting a real tune rather than piss poor canned tunes from Bama.

·
Mohawk Enthusiast
35 Posts
I'm still driving mine with the auto harness with the neutral safety switch zip tied to the side of my 3650

No speedo, and no reverse lights, but it runs like a factory manual

A bit of advice for what I mentioned before about extending the 3650 harness; Take your 3650 harness, compare it to the 4r70w harness, and make a manual harness out of the longer automatic one. It's not hard, you should just need the connector off the 3650 harness for the reverse lights and you're solid.

That's only if the 3650 harness doesn't plug right in your car, there's no need to mess with it if you can just plug the 3650 harness in and go, just wanna clarify on that.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
It will plug right in to the engine harness. Im actually using my old t45 harness with my 4r70 since i did the opposite swap. lol. I have speedo but no reverse lights. I should wire those up but i really dont care.

·
Mohawk Enthusiast
35 Posts
It will plug right in to the engine harness.

Actually if you're like me, it won't. The connector is the same, but the 3650 harness I got with my trans out of an '03 Mach1 stops on top of the bell housing, whereas the connector in my 99 GT is behind the shock tower as you can see one page back, so the 3650 harness I got simply won't reach the plug.

I think Ford may have made too many different damn harnesses for 99-04 transmissions.

·
Mohawk Enthusiast
35 Posts
Negative. I swear it on my life, at least some of the 99-01s have longer harnesses because my GT and my brother's '01 v6 is in the exact same spot and neither had been touched or modified in anyway.

His is a factory manual and mine was a factory automatic GT.

·
Registered
22 Posts
my car is a mid 01 with a date of 06/01.... The car i am getting the donor from is a 04...this is what they wrote as specs TRANSMISSION - 105K, W/SHIFTER "BOLTED TO ENGINE-PRICED SEPERATELY": $700
2001-2001 MUSTANG MT; 8-280 (4.6L), TR-3650, from 2/22/01
2002-2004 MUSTANG MT; 8-280 (4.6L), 5 speed

So am kinda hoping they are the same length an attach the same place,,, i bought the car for 2800 with 150k on it..I always wanted one so i took my 36 year old mid life crisis butt and bought one.. but the tranny chose a horrible time to go.. its cold outside this time of year lol...but i love that damn car an i will fix tessa snowing out or not..

·
Mohawk Enthusiast
35 Posts
my car is a mid 01 with a date of 06/01

Same exact date my brother's v6 has

As I said before, you can modify your auto harness super easy.

[Pic is of the '03 3650 harness]

See that looped red wire? That's your neutral safety.

[Auto harness]

Just loop that red/blue wire together on the auto harness with the white/purple and your car will now start.

Then all you have to do is take this connector off the 3650 harness and run the black/purple, and orange wire to it and there's your reverse lights.

The auto harness already has the speedo connector so that's literally all you need to do.

You can also remove/cap off the extra wires if you want for peace of mind. To my knowledge leaving them won't change a thing.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
There is no need for a new tune. It wont change how it drives. The only thing that needs to be changed in the tune is oss for the speedo to read correctly.

Also, you dont need the steering column. If you switched keys, the key would no longer match the gauge cluster and ecu.....therefore pats wouldnt allow the car to start. Bama cant tune for that. Also, id recommend getting a real tune rather than piss poor canned tunes from Bama.
If he doesn't turn of the automatic function in the tune he will get flashing overdrive light. The auto ecu will be looking for a singnal from the EPC seliniod which isn't present in manual transmission. Will it effect how the car runs no but the flashing od light will be quite annoying

·
Registered
22 Posts
I should take the time and remove all the auto stuff right? i would like to sell all the removed parts to someone that is looking to go the other way...My tranny goes in reverse like a bat outa hell.. but NOT forword.. i am sure that its a good clean tranny to someone to rebuild...So all the shifter parts the neutral saftey switches etc i should remove...I dont want to cut lines and hack it...knowing how much i love my car, Iwould like someone to have a nice swap... tomorrow i go and ask about the tranny... tomorrow is cyber monday i am hoping to get sales..

Parts list
clutch-stage 2-exedy
flywheel lightweight racing-exedy
adjusatble cable and quadrant- SR
Clutch fork - ford perfomence
Clutch fork pivot stud-unknown

Based off what i have learned here is my block must be a winsor block and should have 8 bolts on the flywheel...

·
Mohawk Enthusiast
35 Posts
See where the trans harness comes off off the engine harness? There is so much slack there you can put it on top of the bellhousing.

I will have to look into this, I had my engine out and I could swear there was no way to make it reach the harness I had.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So tomorrow i am going under the car.. i got the top side stuff done.. got my heater and the car moved to the small garage today.. tomorrow i toss it u-p on blocks and remove the auto trans.. So if some of you fine folks can stop in and check this forum from time to time that would be great just incase i have some questions... i have the swap tune from bama alreadyso wish me luck folks... i will also have alittle better idea about harnesses from 01 gt through 04 gts between standard and auto..

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know this is an old post but I tried asking in regular forums to no avail... what wires do I need to cut it using manual tranny harness on auto main harness?? My car isn't starting.. no crank or nuttin.... pics of what got cut and spliced would be very helpful

·
Mohawk Enthusiast
35 Posts
I know this is an old post but I tried asking in regular forums to no avail... what wires do I need to cut it using manual tranny harness on auto main harness?? My car isn't starting.. no crank or nuttin.... pics of what got cut and spliced would be very helpful

I posted pics a page or two back.

Here's a factory manual harness. Notice the looped wire:

And here's the auto harness. You're gonna loop the white/pink, and the red/blue wires, or whatever wires are in that position on the plug on the trans harness. Don't cut up the car's main harness as it's not nearly as easily replaced.

And here's the location of that plug on my car, but yours may be down on the bell housing depending on the year of your car.

That little loop will bypass the neutral safety switch that goes on the side of the auto trans, and your car should now start.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How do we get the tr sensor (neutral safety switch) off the old tranny?... my buddy did climb under the car and cross the selenoid on the starter and got it to crank that way.... but fuel pump isn't coming on either... I'm sure it has something to do with the round connector next to the square one on the auto harness and the auto main harness that the manual tranny harness they sent me dosent have...I'll try to get this thing to post a couple pics I have of the auto harness and manual one so can see the connectors I'm talking bout.. the harness on he left is the auto and as the round connector my main harness is wanting... the left is the manual harness they sent me with my swap parts... it's missing alot of wires the other had... I kinda wonder if they didn't send me the wrong manual tranny harness

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I changed the engine harness to a manual engine harness.... had the same issue so I changed it back to the auto engine harness and tranny harness and did it your way and put a jump wire between the pink and blue wire, and the white/pink wire.... now the car cranks but my fuel pump isn't coming on at all... theft light flashes while cranking... any ideas what could be?? I checked the inertia switch and it is not tripped

·
Mohawk Enthusiast
35 Posts
Hmm, weird.

Alright first: What year is your car?

Second: Have you changed the steering column, ignition switch, gauge cluster, or ecu?

This is the neutral safety I was talking about

What I did (Yes I realize this is shade tree, but I'm not selling my car to anyone, end of story.) but what I did was remove that from the side of the auto trans (just bolts on) and put it in the neutral position (I believe it's 3 clicks to the right on a 4r70w) and I ziptied up out of the way beside the new manual trans. Car fired up perfectly, and has been running and driving great and healthy for 2 years and 2 months, only con is I don't have a speedo, or reverse lights, but this is a temporary solution even for me. I just don't have access to a tuner to fix it right currently.

·
Registered
16 Posts
my car is an 03 mach 1... i did change the ecm to manual one out of a mach 1... but i had it towed to a dealer and keys reflashed to it...then it still crank or anything so the place i got my parts sent me a manual injection harness and i still had no crank or anything so i said screw the manual tranny harness and changed my injection harness back to the auto one, changed my tranny harness to the automatic one and jumped the wire you said to jump... now car cranks... so progress... but still no fuel pump...while cranking and after my theft light flashes at me... i tried to get my nuetral switch off the auto tranny but cant get it off... i didnt put my hpipe back on do to all the changing of harnesses, my o2's not being hooked wouldnt cause would it? or the speed sensor not being hooked? what did you do with the wires in the white clip that went to the auto tranny?

81 - 100 of 124 Posts