Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just curious how much work would it be to swap in a manual into a stock gt thats an auto?

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
ahhhhhh lol i answered this question already today and last week lol, but its quite a task, not a big one but requires some work, its not just throw tranny and and clutch and such and done, i beleive you need tranny, shifter if tranny doesnt have one, flywheel clutch,driveshaft possibly,driveshaft yokes possibly, maybe a different ecu or a tune or something like that, its a little involved, and clutch pedal and all those assorted things lol

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry to re-thread here. but this is what i got.. i can pick up a 2000 GT auto. for 2000 because it has a blown motor and needs a fender.. it would be a 5.4 swap with a t-56 to back it up. with the swap are all the mounts already in place so it would jsut be assembly or is this a project that would require some serious modification?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Do a search in the forums. There are a bunch of write ups and also kits you can buy to do this swap. If your looking to set your car up for drag racing...why spend the time and money when ya can setup an auto to stomp the manual?

If you are looking to do the swap, it will be very labor intensive...plan to spend atleast a weekend doing the swap.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
T-56 into a gt, especialy an auto gt is ALOT of work and money, you need cross member, drive shaft, shifterm, bezel, clutch pedal assembly, brake pedal assembly (for a manual) flywheel, clutch, yada yada yada. Its alot of work to put a t-56 into a manual gt much less an auto.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the man hours im not really worried about i got 3 days off a week. i guess i said t-56 cause i know its a stong transmission. what you transmission would you suggest to make the swap easier.. i really am not a huge fan of autos to be honest i love ripping gears

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you were going to do it. like had your mind set. what would be your choice. i do plan on puttin in a diff motor. wanting a 5.4 but would settle for a termi motor. and a tranny to back it up. i kno it will have to be tuned so on and so forth. but is there direct swap kits you can buy?

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
There are kits, but it depends on what you are gonna do with it as to what direction you should go. The easiest swap is gonna be 2v motor with a built 3650. next would be 4v motor with built 3650. If you go with a 5.4 then it realy comes down to what you are gonna do with it. If you are gonna road race it, then go with the t-56 swap. if you are gonna hardcore drag it, I would definatly reccomend you go with a built auto. or the built t-45 or 3650. There are lots of options. swapping in a 5.4 or a t-56 or both is gonna involve the most money and time, and parts. There isn't an advantage in drag racing by going with the 56, nor is it the only "strong" tranny. Both the t-45 and 3650 can be built to hold more than the t-56 for about the same price it would cost you to get the 56 and get all the extra stuff you need to make it work.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks doc. do you got any links for a swap kit? i seriously might go pick it up tomorrow if i can just get a good idea of what im gettin myself into

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i would like to make some power, but it will be a cruising car. might see the track a couple times. but basically i would like to return it to stock condition with a manual and go from there

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
I don't know any links off the top of my head but its been covered on here quite a few times. I would say go with a built 3650. It has the fewest parts needed for the swap and you will be able to bang gears better in it than in the t-56.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
awesome sounds good. thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts