Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering where i can find these at. I have grown tired of loosing belts from the vortech setup , its hitting the wallet hard to keep buying all these belts. i figure this will help because apparently its the stock tensioner that can not hold up. i heard they make manual tensioner arms so i would like to buy one if possible.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nothing ?

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Shouldn't be having that many issues. Is the blower pulley on backwards? Or out of alignment? Also, the tension should have about 1/2" til it hits the stop. If its to big, the tensioner will flex and the belt will come loose.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Also, I use a dayco tensioner, and gates belt. Works great

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
I have no experience on the modular with a supercharger....... however, on my 93 Vortech'd Cobra I had the same issue of slinging/shredding belts. I pulled my damned hair out trying to fix the problem. I rarely drove the car, it was more of a trailer queen/garage ornament because it had 29K miles when I sold it at 11 years old.

The guy I sold it to emailed me about a month after he bought it asking if I ever had belt issues. I told him I had some over the years and his response was that he had to shim the Vortech 3/32" (if I remember correctly) to align it properly because he kept slinging belts. I'd damn sure check the alignment if I were you, it never crossed my mind back then that this was the problem.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the one with the A/c delete. i dont want the AC delete part. but i was wondering if it works with then tentioner part alone ?

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Dude, you dont need a RR tensioner with a 3.33 pulley. Either mis-aligned belt (check pullies with laser alignment tool), belt is to big (What size belt are you running?) Should be running no bigger then a 112.5" with a 3.33 and 3 bolt tensioner. Blower pulley is on backwards, or you need a new tensioner (Dayco makes good ones)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its a 112.5 have used a 112 it also came off but stayed on longer than the others . it will normally start moving backwards after high rpm shifts .

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how can you tell the blower pulley is on backwards. the long nose part is facing the engine itself.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Then a pulley needs to be aligned. Check the whole vortech bracket. And check the idler pulleys and blower pulley

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I agree with Shaun you sound like you are out of alignment.

Get a laser (like the ones at the hardware store for hanging pictures etc) and check your pulley line up.

I have the RR tensioner - but it is an a/c delete.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
where do i locate that laser at ?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would prefer one that does not use the A/C delete. I have a girlfriend LOL . and this is still a DD . i will also be using it on the new build so i will eventually need one anyway. i just cant figure if i can have one that does not use the A/C delete but is just a manual arm .

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
put up a picture of your tensioner, and your supercharger pulley, If I can see both of these I can tell you exactly what is wrong.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I'm telling you man, there is absolutely no need for a manual tensioner for your setup.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
I have made 21 psi on a stock tensioner before my ported heads. Right now I'm at 18 psi on a stock tensioner with no issues. You have an alignment issue or your belt is to big put up some pictures and we will tell you exactly what's wrong. Also I am all for keeping the air conditioner as well so there is no way ill ever delete mine for a few HP. Like shaun mentioned there is absolutely no need for a manual tensioner and even if you got one it wouldn't fix your issue cause your issue isn't the tensioner .

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok i will get a pick as soon as i can . this only happens when a wide open throttle 6k rpm shift is made that the belt skips or walks . when the tentioner bounces. i have a very hard 1-22 shift with the jmod. i use 112.5 inch belt.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
How much play until your tensioner hits the stop? There should be no more then 1/2"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts