Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone switched their manual trans to an auto or no anyone who has. I wanted to see what was needed to make this happen.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Do you mean a stock manual to a stock automatic? That's rare.

We switched from stock 5 speed manual to 4r70w (automatic with full manual valve body). The 4r is almost standard issue for getting into low 10s and 9s. Rated to 1000+ hp, only 3 forward gears, and built strong enough for transbrake launches.

Now that car has been removed from the street, we have just switched to another automatic, the powerglide, which has only 2 forward gears.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I wanted to put a 55r55s in my car and I figured I would drop in the ratchet shifter also. The reason for this is because the cars at 550 rwhp and I like the idea of the auto with that shifter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i wanna do the opposite auto to stick

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im still kinda up in the air about it because i have a feeling its gonna cost way to much to do something like that. So i might end up just throwing in another manual.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Auto to manual is pretty straight forward. Here's a link to a write up I did in late '05> Auto to Manual Trans ''How to'' guide - Mustang Forums at StangNet

Manual to auto is not bad either, but you'll need an engine/tranny portion of the wiring harness for certain. The manny harness can't be modified to auto without a mound of work. You'll also need to install a cooler and lines. You won't have the lockout solenoid that requires your foot on the brake to get it out of park. I haven't done one, but it can't be too difficult.

·
Registered
15 Posts
im not sure the process but i was told it could be done in my car for 5k including transmission that i needed to hold decent power! and that was at stanghi! its pretty pricey there!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think im gonna go with the tr-6060. I saw that steeda had a upgrade kit that came with the transmission but i need a clutch with 26 splines and is rated for 550 rwhp. Has anyone put this trans in and what clutch did they use.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
If anybody want to do the manny to auto swap here's a fairly complete list of parts:

powertrain control module (PCM) for auto
transmission
torque convertor
flexplate
engine/tranny spacer plate
wiring harness
auto pedal box (without clutch pedal...I have a couple here)
shifter
cable
trans cooler
cooler lines
transmission sensors that plug into harness (may be on the tranny)

Note: You will reuse the driveshaft and crossmember. The bolts that hold the tranny to engine have a couple that will need to be a different length than what you had before. This list is pretty much complete other than some small **** like trans fluid and some minor hardware. Oh yeah, you'll need a pretty, new skirt! :D

·
Registered
489 Posts
Quick question;

I know that a MT ECU can't be used with a AT, but can a AT ECU be used with a MT?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
On '05-'06 cars the MT pcm can be used. I tried to do the same in an '07 car and at the time nobody could re-engineer the thing for me. It's been a couple of years though. Maybe things have changed. The same guy I had change over the '05-'06 pcm was the guy that couldn't do the '07 for some reason.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts