Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can i pull a gt500 6 speed and drop it into my 05 gt 4.6 manual? i'm kinda tired of cops staring at me at 2000 rpm on highway but want the same performance of the 3.55 rear end.

i'm thinking since its already manual that it would just be trans, crossmember shifter, clutch and driveshaft. sound right? or does the computer know what the manual trans is doing?

i searched an only found guys switching from auto to 5 speed.

thanks for your thoughts

·
Registered
61 Posts
DO IT!! I swapped to TR-3650/RST/LCA's had Walsh Racing change 5th and 6th to .74, and .50, with Whipple and 4:10's The car is a total blast! It's like a 3:73 1st gear, and I get 23.8mpg highway! Call Donnie at Walsh, tell him Doc referred you. LMO if I can be of help. Have to get pics of of car on the board, it's finally done(if they ever are).

·
Genibus Nitito Canus
2,947 Posts
i'm thinking since its already manual that it would just be trans, crossmember shifter, clutch and driveshaft. sound right? or does the computer know what the manual trans is doing?
basically thats all u need to do. you might need a new tune, but i doubt it. you shouldnt need the computer, just maybe updating the tune

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sweet i figured the bell housings were the same as they are modular motors. haha
ok so the search is on for some gt500 with a blown engine in a junk yard.

07gogt isn't the 3650 the 5 speed i already have? and a newb question what is RST? What is Donnie's number at walsh?

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Im pretty sure youre correct. I want to do this swap myself soon.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ooooo ok, so i do need the 6060 to be an upgrade. and the different trans does need a new drive shaft beacuse of lenght. right? i'm not throwing more power at it yet. :)

is the rst pretty much the performance standard for our cars?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm sorry that's TR-6060, not 3650. That's the 5-speed I'm trying to sell now. So if anybody want to swap Auto to manual, give me a hollar, killer deal on the whole package! No, you do not need to retune.
Donnie's # is 248 735 5555

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry new thought what about the new mustangs they all come with 6 speeds right? will those bolt in like the 6060? thinking they will be easier to find.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
I know you said you want the "same" performance as the 3.55. Don't forget your gearing in the transmission is completely different. There are guys running the TR6060 in street cars that go with 4.56s. A lot of guys are going with 4.10s as a good upgrade. There are plenty of threads on this online. I can't believe you didn't find anything.

Here's one right here in our forum.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005-2009/121807-tr6060-swap-parts-build-list.html

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php/125269-tr-6060-swap-clutch

http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/index.php?cPath=107_97

ooooo ok, so i do need the 6060 to be an upgrade. and the different trans does need a new drive shaft beacuse of lenght. right? i'm not throwing more power at it yet. :)

is the rst pretty much the performance standard for our cars?
Yes the TR6060 is longer than the TR3650 so it needs a shorter driveshaft.

The RST/RXT is in a lot of people's, including mine, opinion the best clutch out there for the S197.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well thats special. so to switch to the 6060 it would take a 4.10 or 4.56 rear gears to get the same 1st gear and top gear is the same between the two. so it would still be screaming down the highway. bummer

even the new trans has the same od ratio. is there some reason they cant get higher?

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
well thats special. so to switch to the 6060 it would take a 4.10 or 4.56 rear gears to get the same 1st gear and top gear is the same between the two. so it would still be screaming down the highway. bummer

even the new trans has the same od ratio. is there some reason they cant get higher?
Special? What's that supposed to mean? If you're wanting to do this swap than do it and drive it for a couple of months and than find out if you feel that you need more gear.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
psycho bob, you have the right idea. Where do you find one of those, Donnie? Any stock cars with that OD?

nasty, i wan't trying to be mean or hurtfull. its just that the point of the swap was to drop my rpms on the highway and keep the 1st gear ratios. however with the stock 6060 to get the 1st gear the same it'll take a 4.10 rear end. and since the 6060 has the same top gear as my 3650. on the highway it would be the same as just the 4.10 rear end. which would bring my highway rpms up. that is the oppisite of what i was trying to do. I did not realize the gears were so close on the 6060, the range is simmilar to my 3650 2ed through 5th. so for my daily driver i would end up losing 1st gear and have to shift a hole lot more. and that would yield the same highway rpm. so for me, my drive, my car, and my money it is not worth it.

thank you all for your input on this idea. i really do appreciate it.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
the reason people switch to the 6060 or t56 isn't for the gas mileage (most of the time), it's for the stronger transmission to handle more power.

if you're ordering the trans new you can have them change the gearing in 5th/6th. if you're getting it used you'll either have to order the gears and install them or have a shop order the gears and install them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You guys are all correct. Read my original reply. Car has 478hp to wheels. 285/35-19's in back. I had the Trans shop change out 5th to .74, and 6th to .50. They don't come that way from Tremec. 1st gear is same net ratio as a 3:73 gear(my 4:10's were usless in 1st). on the way home from trans shop I got 23.8 mpg at close 80mph most of the time. How can you beat that! So it was go back to 3:55's or swap trans. glad I did. I will introduce you to "Grabber" as soon as I figure out how to post the pics.
If anyone is thinking of doing a auto to TR-3650 manual swap let me know

·
2011 September ROTM
1,868 Posts
running 4.56 with my tr6060 2500 rpm at 80mph

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
i'm kinda tired of cops staring at me at 2000 rpm on highway but want the same performance of the 3.55 rear end.
damn-I'm at 3000 rpm on the highway with 4.10 at 80 mph. 2000rpm is less than when I had 3.55's...so why are you doing this?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts