Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have my 2001 mustang all torn apart its originally a 3.8 auto stang but i have a 4.2 swap already done but before i slap it all in i want to swap my stang to stick i have a really good deal on a 1997 mustang that is a 3.8 stick shift and i was wondering if i could use that trans with my swap im still searching for some info so any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
That should be the same trans. Its a T5 (i believe world class) which is what the v6 mustangs use. You'll need a bunch of parts including but not limited to:

Transmission
Shifter/Console adapter
Bellhousing
Flywheel
Clutch
Clutch Fork
Clutch Cable
Brake/Clutch Assembly pedals
Clutch cable quadrant
I believe you need the computer that came from the mustang you got the trans from
should be the same drive shaft
Trans cross member

I think that's most of the stuff. There are some T5's that you have to worry about the input shaft length being slightly shorter, but I believe that was on the foxbody 5.0's. If you are pulling from a six it should be fine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i understand what your saying and just checked up on some parts the part numbers are different for the clutch kits as well as the clutch cable

·
MOAR BOOST
9,163 Posts
Just did the swap....you need the above listed items, and you need them for your year car.

There are a few differences between the 94-98 v6 t5s and the 99-04. The speed sensor being the main difference.

Also, make sure you get the correct wiring harness...I got the wrong one and now my car is still on stands until I can find one lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
do it so far everything has been plug and play cant wait to find a trans swap and put it all together and get it on the street

·
Registered
548 Posts
do it so far everything has been plug and play cant wait to find a trans swap and put it all together and get it on the street
I did my trans swap last year in my 95 from auto to a t5, i got lucky and found a seller, selling every part i needed definately best mod i have done so far. Pretty straight foward swap. What kinda trans you swapping? Keep updating love to hear how it goes.

Sent from my MB865 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
304 Posts
The 4.2 from an f150 will need an 01-04 flexplate. If you do the manual swap make that an 01-04 flywheel. Someone had a decent list earlier however they didnt mention you will need to change your driveshaft as well.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah after searching and long hours of calling around junkyards dealers and things like that I've decided to keep it auto until i can get a donor car that way ill be sure i have everything i need and thanks Matt for the info i am aware of the info for the flex plate/ flywheel and the drive shaft was in question but that cleared it all up lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts