Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to change the 5 speed transmission oil myself and need to knowhow many quarts of gear oil for my 2001 mustang and if its simple to do. Is there a weight like motor oil?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
it takes auto trans fluid (mercon). theres a drain and fill plug, but i think you will need a hand pump to get it back in there (3 bucks). the gt goes 1/2 below the fill plug and if its a mach it goes flush with the fill plug. have fun. :banana . oh it should tell u how much fluid in the owners manual.

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
i just drained mine with the bottom plug, then to fill it i took the shifter off and dumped the fluid straight into the top of the tranny..

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I probably will pull my shifter off and fill from there , but how do u know when its full?? Im gonna use royal purple synthetic gear oil , but font know what kind and how many quarts. Oh and do u have to seal off your shifter when u pulll it?

·
The Shogun of Harlem
6,344 Posts
Saleen0101 said:
I probably will pull my shifter off and fill from there , but how do u know when its full?? Im gonna use royal purple synthetic gear oil , but font know what kind and how many quarts. Oh and do u have to seal off your shifter when u pulll it?
I recommend this RP fluid. I don't know exactly how much to use but I know a gear kit comes with 3 bottles. :dunno

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
your supposed to use auto trans fulid aren't you? thats whats in mine

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
p.s. you could measure how much comes out, or take out your top plug any extra would run out i cant see 1/2 inch of fluid makeing a difference.

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
woah woah.. dont use gear oil. saleen0101 your car is an automatic? or is it a manual. you can't take the shifter off an automatic. or at least thats not how you want to go about filling your fluid.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No no its an manual 5 speed. sorry . what kind do u suggest? And do u think 3 bottles of royal purple should do it? Im just gonna pour three bottles through the shifter hole

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
these manual trannys use automatic transmission fluid, NOT gear oil. i dont remember what the capacity is. i think its around 3 qts. i do know for a fact that the owners manual has the capacity and recommended type of fluid though.

·
The Shogun of Harlem
6,344 Posts
Bob17830 said:
these manual trannys use automatic transmission fluid, NOT gear oil. i dont remember what the capacity is. i think its around 3 qts. i do know for a fact that the owners manual has the capacity and recommended type of fluid though.
If you are right can someone explain to my why every gear kit on AmericanMuscle.com comes with that gear oil? Every single one. :dunno
http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-gear-kits.html

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thats for the rear end, not the transmission.

·
The Shogun of Harlem
6,344 Posts
blk01gt said:
Thats for the rear end, not the transmission.
After re-reading his first post, isn't that what he is talking about?
Saleen0101 said:
About to change the 5 speed transmission oil myself and need to knowhow many quarts of gear oil for my 2001 mustang and if its simple to do. Is there a weight like motor oil?

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
Are there different weights of auto-tranny fluid or what? Im gonna change mine to Rp soon as I get my shifter.

·
Self proclaimed A-hole
3,780 Posts
its like a retard convention in here. Gear oil is for rearend gears, i never saw a post with him saying he needed to change rearend gears. Mercron tranny fluid is what you need or GM syncromesh can be used also. Just drain the damn thing, pop off the shifter and pour directly into the tranny. About 3 quarts. pull the fill plug and stick your finger in there, after 3 quarts you should feel some fluid at your finger then you are good.

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
:homo

this thread is definately getting confusing. lol

i just went and checked my owners manual

FORD MUSTANG GT 4.6SOHC:

5-speed manual transmission: USE MOBILE 1 SYNTHETIC AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID. 3.8 LITERS, or exactly 4.0 quarts.

this is the correct answer and it is exactly what you should use, it is straight out of the owners manual.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes this is correct 4.0 quarts . I think I will go with mobile1 synthetic atf since I run mobile 1 synthetic in the motor. Thanks ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts