Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well im about to change out the fluid today. Any tip or suggestions? Im just going to drain it and fill by pulling off the stock shifter, but do I need to buy silicone(to seal shifter) after I put 4 quarts of tranny fluid in it to prevent leaks? Or am I ok to just bolt everything back and call it good.?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I was made confusing by one mistaken poster... That's all. Everybody makes mistakes.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Saleen0101 said:
How many quarts? I dont have a manual
i didnt have a manual either.... get a chiltons man 20$ at auto zone... it can be your best friend

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Actually, just do an online search... There's a new spec on the fluid level that will help with the shifting problem (hard to shift into first/reverse sometimes). It's part of the "solution" from Ford's TSB...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
its like a retard convention in here. Gear oil is for rearend gears, i never saw a post with him saying he needed to change rearend gears. Mercron tranny fluid is what you need or GM syncromesh can be used also. Just drain the damn thing, pop off the shifter and pour directly into the tranny. About 3 quarts. pull the fill plug and stick your finger in there, after 3 quarts you should feel some fluid at your finger then you are good.
+1 .. ahahaha, this is quite the old thread but i felt i must 2nd that after thinking the same thing after reading the 1st few posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Synthetic ATF. If it's a 3650, Mobil 1 or GM Syncromesh is ideal. According to Ford's TSB, 3.0L (think that's about 3.2 qts) on the refill. That extra 1/2 in of fluid will cause shifting problems b/c it will drag down the syncros. Easiest way to change is to drain with the bottom plug, pull the shifter and fill there. Yes you will need some RTV to seal the shifter.

·
Needs moar meat
5,011 Posts
I'm gonna necropost hardcore here and bring this back... Did a lot of searching and this is the best thread I've found, but still a few questions remaining.

So 3.0L of ATF is the accepted measurement now, so it won't drag the synchros down, correct? Is Synchromax Transmission Fluid kosher for use as well? I've got a 2003 3.8L V6. Going to be ripping everything apart in spring and doing a full service. MGW shortshifter is going in, and I want to change my tranny fluid at the same time.

If I can't use RP, is there something else that works best? Any friction modifier required?
Also, since I'm gonna be pulling the shifter off to fill, I'm assuming I'm going to need some form of High-Heat RTV to seal around the shifter after as well. Any kind in particular?

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
id like a confirmation too! I am about to do this myself :rockon

·
Poo tee weet?
2,646 Posts
Gonna necro thread this biotch the millionth time.

Think I'm gonna switch to mobil 1 synthetic auto trans fluid sinc it's what tremec recommended. I put RP synchromesh in it 30k ago and it's alwyas shifted sloooooow.

My MGW just exacerbated the problem. Takes more effort now to get it to shift, still slow.

EDIT, more confusion

from wiki

Recommended Oil and Fill Capacity

TREMEC engineers have recommended Texaco-Havoline Dexron III/Mercon Non-Synthetic ATF. There has been a significant amount of confusion regarding the proper capacity and proper type of ATF for the TR-3650 which may have a correlation with a rather large number of complaints about notchy shifting, shift "nibbling", noisy synchros, and grinding gears. The 2007 Mustang GT owner's manual specified the use of 3.0 L of non-synthetic Mercon ATF in the 3650, while the 2008 Mustang GT owner's manual now specifies the use of 3.0 L of Mercon-V ATF in the 3650. Dexron III/Mercon Non-Synthetic ATF seems to work best for pre-2005 Mustang GTs. NB: Tremec service manual also specifies Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF ( Tremec specification ET-M-99 ) in addition to Dexron III.

·
SleeperStang
3,924 Posts
This thread has been bumped more times then a hooker on the vegas strip. From everything I have read on these transmissions most people that run synthetic fluid end up switching it out. One of the most common fluids people run is penzoil synchromesh. I just put it in about two months ago and noticed a huge difference in how it shifted.

·
Poo tee weet?
2,646 Posts
This thread has been bumped more times then a hooker on the vegas strip. From everything I have read on these transmissions most people that run synthetic fluid end up switching it out. One of the most common fluids people run is penzoil synchromesh. I just put it in about two months ago and noticed a huge difference in how it shifted.
Yeah I looked into it more, penzoil it is.
Use pennzoil syncromesh. Whatever you use, do NOT use royal purp. Tremec says it eats the plastic pieces in the tranny

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Well ****, idk what it had when I got it but I put RP in it and there was no change.

Weekend project for me now. If I can get this to shift as smooth as my 4cyl S10 I'd really like this car a lot more.

·
Poo tee weet?
2,646 Posts
Put pennsoil synchromesh in my tranny tonight 3 qts, no change. There was a bit of little spakleys in the RP I took out. It had been there 25k miles

21 - 40 of 41 Posts