Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey in new here and I have a 99 cobra with 43k miles. I recently either a spun bearing or rod knock. Just looking for some advice.

Basically I've narrowed my options down to the following.

Mmr street mod 500 cast iron block for 2200$

Send my block to mmr and have it rebuilt for approximately 1600$ as long as my crank is ok.

Buy a complete long block from a 98 lincoln mark viii. Tear it down to the short block and swap the cobra parts on to it. 850$

Of course I know I'll need all the gaskets and a torque wrench and all that but as of right now I'm leaning towards the mark viii motor simply because its the fastest and cheapest route (this is my daily driver). But my main reason is because I will have an extra set of everything and because then I can build my original short block to put back in down the road. I'm looking into Livernois stroker rotating assembly's already .

My question is this. What all will I need for the mk viii motor to make it work? I understand the cobra engine has an 8 bolt main and the lincoln has a 6bolt. Will the flywheel from the lincoln still work? I also know that the lincoln has a cast crank and not a forged one. But that's ok because it's not permanent and won't be boosted or anything.

Any tips on pulling the engine. Out the top since ill be in my garage.

Any input would help a lot. Thanks.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
It's 6 and 8 bolt crank flange, not mains. I wouldn't put a 15 year old shortblock in my car when it was halfway torn apart. The bearings and rings in the Mark motor are going to exhibit wear similar to what you already have. Bad idea in my opinion. If you're set on that path I'd at least re-ring and install new bearings in the Mark motor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just that I'm on a tight timeline to get this done and on a budget too. But I'll only need it to last for a year because by next winter ill have my block built, heads ported, cams installed, and hopefully an eaton swap for it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
I've never been a fan of doing **** twice........ if you want to do it twice....... I have no intelligent information.

·
4 cam 4 life
2,825 Posts
Bull is somewhat right. If you think the Mark short block is sound and can last till your next motor build. Id go for it. If not, Id think about slapping new bearings in it...rings I wouldn't worry about too much.

As far as the crank bolts, marks, to my knowledge all came auto. So unless you are switching to auto, you will NEED to purchase a 6 bolt flywheel to work with your clutch. Any 01-up GT flywheel will work for what you need. Get one used for cheap from a member, and resurface it, or hell, just run it till you can afford a better one.

I think you have a solid plan. Stick to it.

but another option, and maybe a better one, is take the 850-1500 you will spend on getting the Mark motor in your car, and put it to a daily POS beater, so you can build your car right and take your time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You think like me. I've thought of that too. Thanks for the help. It's just hard to see a car that's not paid off in pieces. Plus There's not much in the market here for 1000$ that runs and drives.

Do you know if the heads on the lincoln motor are the same as b heads with different cams? I was thinking of putting them in with my cobra cams.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Mach1 FTW
2,223 Posts
are you going with the lincoln heads AND intake manifold in your '99 cobra? you wont be able to use your cobra upper/lower intake with the b heads on the lincoln motor. you may end up swapping the entire top end from your '99 onto the lincoln bottom end. the lincoln had an auto, so it will have a 6-bolt flexplate which is no good to you. you will need a 6-bolt flywheel to use in your car. if you are going to get into it this far, with swaping the heads and all, may as well do it once...a head swap kit (with gaskets/bolts) is like $120
also, which block is in your '99?? i think at some point the knock sensor bosses changed (teksid to wap i believe) just somthing to be aware of.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts