Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some insite on how hard I can push the stock bottom end in my 06 GT. I've got a Whipple that has been on 8 lbs for almost two years with no issues. My internals are 100% stock. I just went to a 9lb pulley and the car made 461/426 with a somewhat conservative A/F ratio and timing but I'm nervous about running it at the track. Any thoughts? Anybody making more power with no issues? Anybody popped a motor at this hp?

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
plenty of people here with > 500 hp on stock internals.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
With a safe tune that is

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
there are people running 10-12 psi with the Whipple on the stock internals.
but i run 7 psi bc i'm a wuss. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With a safe tune that is
I think I'm fine with the tune. Air/fuel is a tad rich above 5000 rpm and it's got no extra timing in it. I told the guy that tuned it to be extra conservative. He added a lil extra fuel up top in case I bounce it off the rev limiter at the track.

I'm just trying to run consistent high 11's. I'm all over 12 flat and it's pissing me off. lol.

·
Registered
930 Posts
anything above 450rwtq is taking a chance, Your making enough power to run high 10s, you just got to hook up. Check out Matt D on s197 forms. He ran an 11.1 @ 124mph with a 3v pushing just shy of 400rwhp. Its alot cheaper to spend money on hooking up then rebuilding an engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anything above 450rwtq is taking a chance, Your making enough power to run high 10s, you just got to hook up. Check out Matt D on s197 forms. He ran an 11.1 @ 124mph with a 3v pushing just shy of 400rwhp. Its alot cheaper to spend money on hooking up then rebuilding an engine.
No doubt traction = low ET's but this is my daily and I track it just for entertainment. But I'm 24 lbs below what you recommended as a max torque number so I'm feeling comfortable enough to take this thing to the strip tomorrow and beat the crap out of it. :D

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think Matt D had the car down to like 3200 lbs or something if not mistaken.

I'm at 500RWHP and about 470RWTQ on the stock bottom end. It's been between 465 & 500 RWHP for over 3 1/2 years now and I drive it like I stole it. Good tune is everything. My AFR is at 11.6x at WOT and I see timing up to 21* when weather is right but it's normally around 20* with the computer adding 2* in.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah man it'll never last....
Lol this from the guy pushing right around 530, iirc? :cool:

As stated - so long as the tune is right, you'll be fine. Common opinion is up to 500 is safe, right around 550 give or take is running right on the edge. Mind you this is wheel horse (not crank), and with a smart, safe tune from a reputable tuner who knows the S197 motor inside and out (VMP for example).

·
Registered
55 Posts
I need some insite on how hard I can push the stock bottom end in my 06 GT. I've got a Whipple that has been on 8 lbs for almost two years with no issues. My internals are 100% stock. I just went to a 9lb pulley and the car made 461/426 with a somewhat conservative A/F ratio and timing but I'm nervous about running it at the track. Any thoughts? Anybody making more power with no issues? Anybody popped a motor at this hp?
Your risk of popping the motor is low if you have a good tune and avoid detonation. Use high octane fuel, make sure you're not getting oil into the intake, and keep your plugs in good shape with the proper gap. I ran 530 RWHP on the stock lower end for two years with no problems. The motor was still running great when I pulled it for a built motor.

You'll hear stories of people that threw a rod at power levels lower than what I had and you'll hear stories about people that pushed the stock motor further than I did. The bottom line is that the higher the power level, the higher the risk. At 461, I believe your risk is low. But keep an eye on a/f and the other things mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Lol this from the guy pushing right around 530, iirc? :cool:

As stated - so long as the tune is right, you'll be fine. Common opinion is up to 500 is safe, right around 550 give or take is running right on the edge. Mind you this is wheel horse (not crank), and with a smart, safe tune from a reputable tuner who knows the S197 motor inside and out (VMP for example).
:):)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
SO when is that number gonna go up a lil more Nasty? The itch comin back yet lol?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hate to bump a week old thread but I just wanted to report that I took the car to the track last weekend and beat the **** out of it with no issues. Ran a 12.25 on a 1.96 sixty in 78 degree heat in a full weight 06. Big thanks to the advice you guys gave me.

Seriously, big time thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Glad to see it taking a beating and holding together. I'm seriously considering the Whipple.

·
Registered
481 Posts
What was the mph? Get that 60' down and you should be in the 11's easily.

Hate to bump a week old thread but I just wanted to report that I took the car to the track last weekend and beat the **** out of it with no issues. Ran a 12.25 on a 1.96 sixty in 78 degree heat in a full weight 06. Big thanks to the advice you guys gave me.

Seriously, big time thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts