Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Backbone
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
05 06 07 08 09 10 Mustang GT 4 6L Maximizer Exhaust Header Full Length w H Pipe | eBay

I found these while browsing eBay for some deals.

I know there is a pretty big divide with some saying knock-off parts are cheap, unreliable, etc. while others have nothing but positive experiences.
I know- they are knockoffs. But its pretty hard to re-invent this wheel. Pypes arent made in the USA, and people love them.

I personally have run OBX and the like on other cars and have had no problem at all with the welds, fitment, etc.

I cant overlook the cost. For 460 bucks, a full longtube design, both a catted and O/R H pipe, and hardware.

What does everyone think?

·
Super Moderator
4,863 Posts
I asked the same question on here a little while ago and the consensus was to steer clear. Honestly they dont look bad and are stainless but if you google them I bet youll get some bad reviews. The biggest thing about ebay headers is that the quality control is nonexistant and they have some fitment issues. Plus if you read the fine print there are some gremlins hiding in there. On a few sets I was reading up on the major thing was that the primaries are small and they were made of smaller gauge metal. As long as the seller has good reviews and there are a lot of them sold Id go for it honestly. Another thing I like is that a lot of the headers are 304 stainless and are cheaper than their comparable mild steel name brand counterparts. The only thing Id be afraid of is if the flang wasnt flat or the primaries werent routed correctly.

·
Resident Headbanger
2,443 Posts
05 06 07 08 09 10 Mustang GT 4 6L Maximizer Exhaust Header Full Length w H Pipe | eBay

I found these while browsing eBay for some deals.

I cant overlook the cost. For 460 bucks, a full longtube design, both a catted and O/R H pipe, and hardware.

What does everyone think?
Those are carbon copies of the JBA LTs/midpipe for about 1/2 the price. They look beautifully made with T304 stainless steel and does it really matter if they were made in China if the real JBAs are made in Mexico?
I'm very tempted to buy them myself!

·
RAT FINK
939 Posts
Mexico is still better than China, and better than ripping off somebody else's engineering and design work.

JBA's headers are 14 gauge, most of those ebay stainless headers are 16 gauge which is pretty thin for a header.

I will say my JBA collectors hit the edge of some pavement once on a dropoff I didn't expect. It broke off the edge of the pavement and just put a little scratch on my collector. Those things are stout.

FYI, Pertronix acquired Doug's Headers and JBA awhile back and shipped all their manufacturing to Mexico. Lame

·
Administrator
7,954 Posts
Those are carbon copies of the JBA LTs/midpipe for about 1/2 the price. They look beautifully made with T304 stainless steel and does it really matter if they were made in China if the real JBAs are made in Mexico?
T304 isn't that cheap. If they're producing all of that listed for what they're asking and still making a profit, that steel is **** or it's of lesser quality. Not all steel of the same grade type is created equal.

·
RAT FINK
939 Posts
All the Chinese "stainless" I have seen (such as Weber grills) gets rust spots all over the place. Pretty sure it is full of impurities. And yes it probably is low quality.

·
Resident Headbanger
2,443 Posts
T304 isn't that cheap. If they're producing all of that listed for what they're asking and still making a profit, that steel is **** or it's of lesser quality. Not all steel of the same grade type is created equal.
You're probably right about the inferior quality of the steel but China can also afford to sell its products at lower prices due to lower labor costs and larger scale production.

·
Backbone
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
reviews

I went ahead of looked around at some of the reviews I could find. Apparently, they are really popular with the GM community. I read that some G8 GT guys run them with a lot of success, and no complaints that I found. Even if there were, I've found complaints on Kooks headers as well- and they cost about 1500 bucks for the same setup...

Clearly, they are knockoffs. I understand some people have a personal preference with this. I wont really pay too much attention to whether they are made in china or mexico. Some of the best stuff i ever owned WASN'T made in the USA. I'm focused on quality. China and Mexico don't have the monopoly on crappy-made products.

The design looks completely functional. Looks beautiful too. Someone made the comment about crappy stainless being used.
EVEN IF i bought these and had them ceramic coated, I would still be in for less than a set of pypes...

So, I still think they're worth a look. I just moved into a new place on Monday. After I get settled, I think I may give these a shot.

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

This is how I feel about it, too.

Ive seen american made stuff that was junk. If i really got these in hand and they looked awful (thin flanges, etc). I could always just return them

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

T304 Stainless Steel

I wasnt able to find anything that really discusses good vs bad t304. The gauges change, but not the content, save for high carbon or low carbon. I dont know if there is a difference in which should be used for exhausts- ill keep looking out for some info on it.

I feel like poor t304 exhaust systems rust as a matter of being impregnated by other metals during the manufacturing process. Other metals from grinders, etc can get imbedded in the steel and will rust, but the stainless itself wont. My father is a metallurgical engineer, so ill give him a call later tonight and pick his brain about that stuff. Maybe he can shed some light on it.

·
Backbone
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would love a set of ARH or Kooks.

Just curious, for the money, what people think about these.

·
Administrator
7,954 Posts
I would love a set of ARH or Kooks.

Just curious, for the money, what people think about these.
The fit and finish was the best I've seen. No rubbing issues and no leaks. After two years the metal showed a little bluing from the temps but a little polish brought them back to being shiny. (The ARH)

·
RAT FINK
939 Posts
I assume by "these" you mean the maximizers. Well, only real way to find out is to buy them. They might be fine, they might fit like crap.

Admittedly, my JBA's were pretty good but not perfect, the collectors are misaligned under the car which made installing the H pipe a little tricky, but I was able to make everything work. No issues around the steering shaft or anything though. Can't complain too much as I only paid $500 for the ceramic coated versions I bought.

·
Backbone
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I asked the same question on here a little while ago and the consensus was to steer clear. Honestly they dont look bad and are stainless but if you google them I bet youll get some bad reviews. The biggest thing about ebay headers is that the quality control is nonexistant and they have some fitment issues. Plus if you read the fine print there are some gremlins hiding in there. On a few sets I was reading up on the major thing was that the primaries are small and they were made of smaller gauge metal. As long as the seller has good reviews and there are a lot of them sold Id go for it honestly. Another thing I like is that a lot of the headers are 304 stainless and are cheaper than their comparable mild steel name brand counterparts. The only thing Id be afraid of is if the flang wasnt flat or the primaries werent routed correctly.
hey, I couldn't find the posts. Was anyone able to give you personal experience, or was it just general advice?

·
Super Moderator
4,863 Posts
hey, I couldn't find the posts. Was anyone able to give you personal experience, or was it just general advice?
Nope but later I saw ghunt (I think) bought a set of ssautochrome headers and they were junk. If you do end up getting them check the flanges first and mock them up before torquing everything down. Also post up because Im interested in how theyll fit. I like the look of the spec d bbk look alikes on ebay, but who knows how they fit. Although they are under 200 bucks so Id definitely give them a try for that price even if they needed to be modified to fit.

·
RAT FINK
939 Posts
Wasn't me, I've only ever had my JBA's.

·
Super Moderator
4,863 Posts
Sorry it was kylar

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forum...ay.html#/forumsite/20800/topics/561257?page=1

I cant even find my thread lol. The consensus is that theyd be junk but Im not so sure about that. Even if you get a set for say 200 bucks and had to have a shop tweak them itd probably still cost less than a set of name brand ones. And another person on here recently posted a video of a guy beating the crap out of a set of long tubes to prove that even dented to hell they can put out close to if not the same numbers as an untouched set. So even if you have to dent them to clear the steering shaft or k member itll still perform the same as when it was new. Another thing people like to bring up is that theyre stainless and not ceramic coated so theyre "losing hp" but theres a lot of people running stainless headers and seem fine to me. Its more dependant on the length and diameter of the primaries. And remember to read the desription and only look at the ones with pictures measuring the inside diameter of the pipes. Some will advertise 1 3/4 primaries but thats the outer diameter, same goes with the collector size. As long as the seller has good ratings and the collectors/primaries are true then Id hop on a set.

·
RAT FINK
939 Posts
The Maximizer ones say they're a 1.6" primary, which is the same as the JBA's at 1 5/8".

Has anyone had issues with the Chicom ones cracking at the welds? Curious, I know people were having that issue with stainless Chinese turbo headers on some other applications but that's a little different animal. 304 stainless is more brittle than mild steel or 409 stainless especially around welds, but on an n/a engine there probably isn't enough stress to have to worry about that.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
The video you are talking about was from Hot rod magazine if you wanted to search for it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello guys, new here ??... I was looking also for headers for my '14 GT on eBay and found this maximizer long tubes with h-pipe ($580+-) And they look identical to the kooks 11412200($+1k) for half the price. They state as well 304 grade SS and they r a 16gage tubing. I see divided opinions in this tread but man, you can't beat that price. I was contemplating to buy a pypes setup (HDR76SK-3 $1k) wich includes LH and catted h-pipe but now I'm undecided... Decisions... Decisions... Decisions.

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

This the link for the headers
https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/111700015534

1 - 20 of 24 Posts