Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I have been thinking about it, the more I think nitrous may be the best road I can take for my 03 gt vert. I don't want to spend the money on a supercharger or turbo. And these bolt-ons most likely aren't going to get me the timing gains I want, nor the quickness. Being that my car is still some what of a daily driver and whatnot, I don't want a ridiculous nitrous kit. But I do want one that won't hurt my car and is perfect for what I want. I really just need you guys to direct me in the way of a really good kit for me, that is well priced. And also if I need to get anything else extra while I'm at it. I also wanted to know about how much it is to get one of these installed is to? I was really looking to spend around 500 for a kit. My goal is to get my car into the mid 8s in the 1/8 mile.

I know that's alot to take in at once but your any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
NX Plate kit. Window switch. Bottle Warmer. If you catch it when it goes on sale through AM it is 550 I believe, for the kit itself.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How are the zex kits because I was looking at one that was around that price?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Zex is an all around good kit. The NX system just gets more attention. The Zex system rarely ever lets people down. It it relatively simple to install as well.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well those are the only 2 I have really seen.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much is an install? I wish more people would chime in lol.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
Ive never been a fan of the all in one box of zex. Let me have 2 solenoids and a plate. A window switch and a bottle heater is all id recomend for your wants/neeeds. You can find good nitrous kits cheap all day long if you look on craigslist or the classifieds of forums. If you buy new expect 800 or so for everything, hooking it up is just a simple wiring job, ALMOST any idiot could do it

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive never been a fan of the all in one box of zex. Let me have 2 solenoids and a plate. A window switch and a bottle heater is all id recomend for your wants/neeeds. You can find good nitrous kits cheap all day long if you look on craigslist or the classifieds of forums. If you buy new expect 800 or so for everything, hooking it up is just a simple wiring job, ALMOST any idiot could do it
I may check out classifieds and craigslist... I have seemed to do well there lol. And is it really that easy to do?

·
Registered
900 Posts
yes very very easy to install the zex kit, and i'm sure the others are not any harder. There is a video on youtube that shows you how to do everything step by step if you get stuck anywhere.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
its a few 12v sources a few grounds and wires between a few boxes sensors. Its a basic set up, just people freak out because its nitrous and they think that makes the wiring harder

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
For OP I say go with a zex kit and make sure the install is good!!! For me I have a NX shark nozzle kit with all the add ons.

The zex is very simple to install and relatively safe to 100 shot. As others have said, read up, then keep it simple for your application.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
The ZEX management unit has 2 solenoids and an electronic control module to prevent the lean spikes from using nitrous. I took the management unit apart on one because I was going to get the cover powdercoated as I don't care for the purple color.

I have been using the ZEX with no problems. I went with all the safety items, and installed the gages in the center of the dash under the radio.

If you plan on running at the track you will need a blowdown tube for the nitrous bottle.

If you go with the ZEX I would aslo recommend buying the Traction Control Switch, it allows you to select the RPM the unti will activate and also the rpm for it to shut off before you have to shift, and you can select what gear it activates so it's not activating in 1st gear and spinning your tires at the line.

You will want a purge solenoid to purge the supply line. You will need a bottle warmer to warm the bottle to the desired temperature.

Just so you know I spent about $1,000 for everything I purchased.

I personally would not suggest buying used solenoids, used bottles and other parts are ok, but buying used solenoids could cost you more in the end.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The ZEX management unit has 2 solenoids and an electronic control module to prevent the lean spikes from using nitrous. I took the management unit apart on one because I was going to get the cover powdercoated as I don't care for the purple color.

I have been using the ZEX with no problems. I went with all the safety items, and installed the gages in the center of the dash under the radio.

If you plan on running at the track you will need a blowdown tube for the nitrous bottle.

If you go with the ZEX I would aslo recommend buying the Traction Control Switch, it allows you to select the RPM the unti will activate and also the rpm for it to shut off before you have to shift, and you can select what gear it activates so it's not activating in 1st gear and spinning your tires at the line.

You will want a purge solenoid to purge the supply line. You will need a bottle warmer to warm the bottle to the desired temperature.

Just so you know I spent about $1,000 for everything I purchased.

I personally would not suggest buying used solenoids, used bottles and other parts are ok, but buying used solenoids could cost you more in the end.
Thanks. That is pretty helpful. And everyone else has been too. I am having a hard time deciding between the zex and nx. lol. I have a bit of time however.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
remember colder plugs and retard timing

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
remember colder plugs and retard timing
So I have to change that.. even though I am rarely ever going to be using it except at the track maybe once every 3 months or so.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so I don't need to do a spark plug swap and my timing wont be off?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
so I don't need to do a spark plug swap and my timing wont be off?
You do need a plug swap to a cooler plug. How about a NGK tr-6 plug gaped at .035".

Your timing is controlled by the pcm. Stock timing is fine for 50 shot. 100 shot requires about 2-3 degrees retarded timing above 3K rpms. A handheld tuner can do this for you, or a tuner can make you a "nitrous tune". There is not much to a wet nitrous tune other than a couple deg of retarded timing...

1 - 20 of 95 Posts