Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I got 1700 miles, including engine break in miles, on the Zoom stage 3 kevlar clutch. I don't know exactly how much RWHP I am making but it is apparently enough. I figured the Zoom clutch would have held up a little longer than it did.

Per the recommendation of Joe at D&D I ordered the McLeod RXT twin disk clutch, a new nodular flywheel, TOB, adjustable pivot ball, pilot bearing, ect. Personally I don't know any other mustang guys locally that run twin disk clutches so it was a toss up between Ram and Mcleod.

Does anyone have experience with the RXT clutch or any other high HP twin disk clutch. I'm excited to get a clutch that can handle the power i'm making. :D

D&D Performance - C403M Mcleod RXT Twin Disc Clutch Kit 4.6/5.4

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump to see if anyone has experience with twin disk clutches?

So far it seems like Termiantors, GT500s, and new 5.0s are the main ones using twins.

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
Bump because I'm interested in how they differ with single disc clutches in everyday situations.

·
MM Official Sammich Maker
6,732 Posts
jeeze i would love to put some input on this, but the last time i seen or knew anyone running one of those was my buddy in his supra.
From what i remember he said it was very stiff and a bitch to drive in traffic.
But it held the power he had without a problem and he was around the 650rwhp

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
I hear great things about them from the 03 cobra guys. If my spec 3+ does not hold up im going twin disk

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
I don't think I'll ever have enough power to warrant it for that reason, I am mostly curious about the advantages. It's amazingly expensive, so I'm thinking there must be something to it beyond simply holding a lot of power.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
the rdx has stock feel and no chatter and the ability to hold down tons of tq. now i went with the spec 3+ and while it was breaking in it chattered like crazy. now it is smooth a stock with a stock feel as well. it is supposed to hold down 850 tq but we will see once i go to the track with my slicks and side step the clutch at 5000 rpm's

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Modern twin disk clutches typically have very low pedal pressure compared to similar torque rated single disks. Twin disks also exhibit very smooth, chatter free, operation. Therefore twins are very street friendly.

They have extreme holding power because of the increased surface area the twin disks produce. Once you reach 600 rwhp a twin disk setup is preferred. The spec stage 3+ may hold up for a while.

Mcleod has the RST and the RXT. The only difference is the clutch material. The RST has an organic similar to stock, the RXT uses ceramic so it is a little more aggressive.

·
Registered
244 Posts
the only car i have driven with the rxt was a cts-v with a lsx swap, and it was very smooth, and install was a breeze compared to other brand twin disc clutches, I actually have the rst with the hydraulic t/o bearing conversion, but it is not installed yet

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
i personally would have went with the spec twin disk...even though its 1200 bucks...it would be the last clutch you would ever need..hell im sure you not over 700 so a regular spec stage 3+ would have been more then enough..

i have seen a couple cars blow the a meclod rxt twin disk that was enough for me to see i wouldnt get 1...1 cobra was only makeing 650,another at 750, and a 05 gt that destroyed 1 with only 200 miles on it and he was only at mid 600s also..

and like stated the clutch will be stiff but hell all twin disk are..

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
and stal...the spec stage 3+ will hold you power at the track just fine...the 3.4 whipple car is at my shopo right now with a broken input shaft he snapped will killing the gears on the street.. and it runs around on 16s and et streets..clutch doesnt slip at all..and he is makeing 675 on pump gas and 720 on c16 same boost....

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the only car i have driven with the rxt was a cts-v with a lsx swap, and it was very smooth, and install was a breeze compared to other brand twin disc clutches, I actually have the rst with the hydraulic t/o bearing conversion, but it is not installed yet
The McLeod hydraulic TOB conversion kit looks sweet but $800. You will have to let us know more about it once you have it going.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i personally would have went with the spec twin disk...even though its 1200 bucks...it would be the last clutch you would ever need..hell im sure you not over 700 so a regular spec stage 3+ would have been more then enough..

i have seen a couple cars blow the a meclod rxt twin disk that was enough for me to see i wouldnt get 1...1 cobra was only makeing 650,another at 750, and a 05 gt that destroyed 1 with only 200 miles on it and he was only at mid 600s also..

and like stated the clutch will be stiff but hell all twin disk are..

Slow, I could not find much negative feedback on the RXT. A clutch can always be killed by improper installation or adjustment.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yea, from what I've heard from pretty much everyone that's used them, the RXT is boss. I have not tea of any failures in terminators, except for installer error. You must get the adjustable pivot ball though to properly install and setup the Clutha properly. To recommend anything spec is sticking your neck out for possibly being put on the chopping block, figuratively speaking. I've read of more failures of spec clutches than any other brand clutch.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Yea, from what I've heard from pretty much everyone that's used them, the RXT is boss. I have not tea of any failures in terminators, except for installer error. You must get the adjustable pivot ball though to properly install and setup the Clutha properly. To recommend anything spec is sticking your neck out for possibly being put on the chopping block, figuratively speaking. I've read of more failures of spec clutches than any other brand clutch.
the customers who clutches failed where from psi motorsports and psi is the shop that installed them...the 05gt that killed the clutch in a few 100 miles works at the shop it was his personally car..

clutch looks good now go break it in with a burn out lol

·
Registered
205 Posts
Not referring to any one specific case. I've just heard lots of negativity all over the Internet on spec, and some of my trends ran them and said they were trash. By first hand, they aren't that great to drive IMO.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Not referring to any one specific case. I've just heard lots of negativity all over the Internet on spec, and some of my trends ran them and said they were trash. By first hand, they aren't that great to drive IMO.
they drive just fine to me...the spec 3+ is soft and grabs hard...but if you never driven a twin disk car...none of them are to fun to drive lol..

just say you cant drive a stick car:D

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A properly designed twin disk clutch is a blast to drive. Light pedal effort, smooth engagements, and plenty of holding power.

A single disk, even a spec stage 3+, is borderline for 20+ PSI, spray, and some track action. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts