Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going on a lurking spree trying to find the biggest baddest mechanical keyboard out there for under a $100. Originally, I wanted to go overboard and build my own with bamboo keys. Which sounds like it would feel amazing to type with, but could cost a lot of money if the caps are not compatible with cherry switches, and had to be special ordered...AND! it would take forever to paint/stain out each key...

I mean, who likes bright ass wood keys staring at you? That's blatantly unacceptable :p

Anywho, do you have a mechanical keyboard? Do you like it? Any experiences with different switches? I type a LOT for work and school and I want the loudest, touchy, slick thing that will make everything fun to do. So, this isn't really for gaming. Although... I do binge from time to time on gaming. It might end up on my work desk unless I change my home setup. So, maybe not tricked out with all the extra key pads like some of the gaming ones. That would scream freak. I am currently plugged to the tv at home, but man that sucks for my eyesight and hate computing there.

Chum

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Cum On Me Bro
8,106 Posts
I would love to have one, and it will probably be my next keyboard purchase. I love really tactile keyboards.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah, me too. The only thing I miss about my Dad's slow ass computer from the eighties was that clunky, chunky ass sprung keyboard...and maybe how the cursor would sit there blinking...and the 8 bit graphics...sigh...

Chum

·
Turbo'd Hot Hatch
807 Posts
While not the best out there I've had a Razer ultimate for 2 years and love the thing. I have cherry Blue(I think) switches which are loud as hell. I love the sound though. I would never go back to a non-mechanical keyboard.

·
Made in U.S.A.
22,435 Posts
I use the Razer Black Widow Ultimate Stealth. No complaints. Not any louder than a standard keyboard. Although a little bit more expensive than your $100 limit.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't really looked at the Razer lineup before, but they look really nice, thanks for bringing it up. And they have a few different models circa $100. Although, I can't seem to figure out the switches used in each board on their website (possibly user error:p).

Chum

·
Turbo'd Hot Hatch
807 Posts
I use the Razer Black Widow Ultimate Stealth. No complaints. Not any louder than a standard keyboard. Although a little bit more expensive than your $100 limit.
I'm glad to see another Razer user. I got the Razer ultimate when it first came out, so I didn't get lucky with the stealth version. Although I do love the sound of it, it tends to annoy my co-workers. Yes, I use it at work. LOL.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Although I do love the sound of it, it tends to annoy my co-workers. Yes, I use it at work. LOL.
Lol, nice. At least it sounds like it's good for work though. I sit in a corner so I'll need the blue switches to keep me company.

Thanks Nasty for the link btw, that damn user error keeps getting me all the time:D.

Chum

·
Made in U.S.A.
22,435 Posts
I really appreciate the 'Stealth'. It's funny because a buddy of mine has a mechanical keyboard and when we game he doesn't use push to talk I want to smack him. :lmao

I'm glad to see another Razer user. I got the Razer ultimate when it first came out, so I didn't get lucky with the stealth version. Although I do love the sound of it, it tends to annoy my co-workers. Yes, I use it at work. LOL.
I'm definitely not a Razer fan boy but they do make some good products. I've been running a Razer Mamba for a while. Actually had the original, gave it to my wife, and bought the "new" Mamba 2012. Love that mouse!

·
Turbo'd Hot Hatch
807 Posts
I really appreciate the 'Stealth'. It's funny because a buddy of mine has a mechanical keyboard and when we game he doesn't use push to talk I want to smack him. :lmao

I'm definitely not a Razer fan boy but they do make some good products. I've been running a Razer Mamba for a while. Actually had the original, gave it to my wife, and bought the "new" Mamba 2012. Love that mouse!
Same here, I use a mix of different PC equipment. I've used a Mamba for the last two years but recently upgraded to the Nascita Feenix. Best mouse I've ever used.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh man, it's started. I just put a bid on a Blackwidow Ultimate.

Man, sucha newb. I've never used Ebay before. Bid anxiety 2013 for another T-Minus 32 hours and counting...I'll have to do this more often for my 'stang. I think she's jealous. I didn't get her anything from Ebay!

Chum

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reps, btw, I am really happy with this keyboard. Even though my coworkers from across the office hate my guts for it now. I'm getting some keycap bump stops from WASD keyboards that are supposed to help with noise, short of soldering in Cherry brown switches to convert the board. I'll post if they help, in case anyone has similar thoughts.

I also went with the new Blackadder 2013 mouse since they were on sale on Amazon and more within my price range. The whole programmable macro thing on the keyboard and mouse really blows my brain gaskets and is pretty sweet for work. Also, I tried looking at the Feenix Nascita, but apparently it was sold out when I was shopping. Looked sweet though. The Adder is sort of too big to hold on to, but I'm getting more used to it. The DPI/sensitivity and X/Y axis customization are amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing. I can only work with 2400/3200 DPI right now since this is still new to me, which is only half the max setting. Utter ridiculousness.

Chum

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not like anyone cares, but the bumpstops from WASD reduced the noise a crapton.

Much happier coworkers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts