Modded Mustang Forums banner

Methanol barrels

8K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  codycat91 
#1 ·
Does anybody know if there's any difference in black barrel and blue barrel methanol? I've used VP M1 but it's getting harder to find locally. My local propane fuel company is willing to pump their black barrel methanol out of their 55gal drum for me. Labels appear to be the same but I want to make sure it's acceptable quality for water/meth injection applications. Thanks

Product Drink Liquid
Product Material property Tin can Solvent Paint
Yellow Label
Waste container Waste containment Waste Gas Asphalt

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm going to paste the most informative and useful response I have received from a different forum below, in case anybody else stumbles on this thread later and is searching for the same answers...

"The only way to be sure is to take a look at the certificate of analysis for the two drums. There are different levels of purity. At a minimum if you choose to go with the material from the black drum filter it through some high quality paint filters to make sure you don’t get any debris from the drum wall into your tank. The black drums are typically reused and not always well cleaned prior to fill. The blue fuel drums are typically single use and disposed of or repainted black and used for other chemicals. I used to deal with this stuff on a daily basis and there are different versions of 99.9% pure when it comes to bulk chemicals.

Good luck with whatever route you choose."

#4 ·
FWIW, Ive been using the yellow-barrel methanol without issue on an MPT custom-tuned high-boost F150. I use 190 micron paint filters and just keep it in my funnel. It filters twice, once when pouring from my methanol container into my 1-gallon containers for mixing (75% methanol), and again when pouring from my 1 gallons into my vehicle reservoir. I've had no issues with performance, clogs, spray, etc. I have, however, picked up some tiny particulates in my filter. Not often, and idk if it's bits from the container itself or what, but it would be never be a bad idea to filter your meth with one of these filters, even if you're buying top-shelf M1. The meth doesn't deteriorate the filter either, and a single filter will last numerous uses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.