Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally made it home from Afghanistan, and the work is about to begin. After alot of changes all year I have finally ended up buying a Vortech V-1 S trim supercharger 39 Pound injectors, Focus SVT Fuel pump, NGK TR6 plugs and that is about it for now. Later $$$$$$ I plan on adding a TB and plenum/ new MAF, and some custom ground MMR Cams. But I do want to install either a intercooler, or a methanol injection kit from Snow Performance. Right now I am leaning towards the methanol injection after talking to the Folks at snow performance. What are some thoughts or advice on this situation? or which to go with? My car is a weekend driver only or for pretty days it is not my daily car. Thanks

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
i would start with a intercooler, then add a meth kit on top. its worth having both. if you live in a area where 91 is the highest octane i would start with meth. snow is not a bad kit, i would go with ais or devils own meth kit over snow.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
I like alkycontrol the best IMO

·
Registered
19 Posts
A friend of mine ran straight methanol without intercooler on his twin turbo setup. on hot days he really had problems even with the correct injection flow dialed in. I would listen to stal and do both. IMO the intercooler is like the necessity and the methanol is a real nice added bonus! You really see a difference with the methanol, but i wouldn't run it alone. It would really suck to take it out one nice hot day, punch it a few times and then start having problems... but i have no personal FI experience of my own.

***and thank you for your service!!!***

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
AIS meth kit or intercooler kit will work. You can get a cxracing intercooler kit for $300. If you can install it yourself that would be a plus. A shop will charge you $300-$400 for labor to install the intercooler since it's not a direct fit.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can install the intercooler myself, But I was comcerned about getting all the right pieces, and where to get everything I need to install the intercooler. do you have a kit that you recomend to get the intercoooler installed?

·
Cone Killer
928 Posts
I'd would definitely go intercooler before going with methanol. I haven't been too impressed with snow's stage 2 system on my car. I installed as a band-aid it an attempt to get more power out of my motor without upping the boost because procharger recommended that I stay below 8 lbs on the stock bottom end. I just don't feel like the injection system is consistent enough to run more aggressive timing safely. I installed mine with the system set up to spray when I saw boost. If I had to do it again, I'd probably set it up to spray of the maf system.

The procharger 3 core intercooler however, IS consistent and extremely noticable how much it drops intake temps.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
congrats on the safe return home from the madland Staff. People usually run th cx racing intercooler on the vortech setups.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So you didnt fell any real difference after installing the Snow kit? After talking with them they made it sound like it was going to add up to 20 percent extra HP!!

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank You it is crazy over there!! I am looking for a CX racing intercooler kit now, but need to find someone who has already done this so I can get a parts list!

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
45 degree bend off the head unit, then you need to make a 180 into the intercooler, then a 90 degree bend off the other end of the intercooler. i cut a hole in my fender so the pipe comming out of the intercooler went strait up in to the throttle body, some use a j bend but i used a 45 bend.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
So you didnt fell any real difference after installing the Snow kit? After talking with them they made it sound like it was going to add up to 20 percent extra HP!!
Depending on your current ACT's, you can pick up quite a bit of power with the meth injection. To do so, your IAT sensor needs to be located after both the blower and the injection point, and your tune needs to take advantage of the cooling provided by the meth injection by advancing/retarding the timing based on the reading from the IAT. That's just the tip of the iceberg...the jist is that you won't see any real gain from just slapping on the meth injection without tuning for it.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
And I'd also recommend both the meth injection and an intercooler, though if I was limited to one or the other, I'd go with the intercooler.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts