Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys i just got done ordering my MGW short throw shifter and I was wondering if any one has a write up on how to install it? I went to americanmuscle and looked up there shifter and looked at how you installed those and they are talking about changing tranny fluid. Do i need to do that? If anyone could do a step by step thing for my that would be much appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Its easy man...

Remove shifter bezel and boot
remove dust boot
remove 4 bolts that hold the shifer to the tranny
pry shifter off of tranny (gasket maker under shifter may be tough to loosen)
Scrape away and clean all remaining gasket maker from the tranny
Install a new bead of gasket maker and set the new shifter in place
MAke sure it is facing the right way
The ball on the bottom of the shiter should fit into the ball joint in the tranny
Install 4 bolts through the new shifter
Shift through gears to make sure it works fine
re-install dust boot
re-install shifter handel
re-install boot/bezel

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I dont htink I left anything out...I was just typing while trying to recall doing my install. I think I got it all there...reps please

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
...you forgot about putting the shift knob back on :)

Reactions: Aceswild 02

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just installed mine a week ago, and it only took about an hour to do. The MGW comes with installation instructions also that you can follow. I didn't change the tranny fluid at the time, but I will be soon even though its not completely necessary. Might as well have fresh fluids with the new shifter if you can afford it. Btw, the shifter feels amazing, and I'm sure you will be happy with it. I do have a little more tranny noise coming from the shifter but the way it shifts completely makes up for the added noise :D

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
I literally just did this to change my transmission fluid, the only thing that has not been mentioned is you might have to adjust the shift stops.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Good thinking dreamer...I failed to mention that

The t56 has internal stops, therefore it is uneccesary to set the stops in the Termi's

·
Registered
994 Posts
pop the plastic thing off and you will see the heat guar thing with a bolt at each corner 8mm do that and then 4 more olts under that for the shifter, get high temp sealent around new shifter(make sure you take the plastic thing off the ball on bottom) and repeat steps also make sure you do the stoppers as the directions say.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Everyone like the MGW? I want one eventually, don't mean to thread jack Mighty, I am sure you will be able to give me input soon enough. :)

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I literally just did this to change my transmission fluid, the only thing that has not been mentioned is you might have to adjust the shift stops.
You should have removed them completely in a 2003. The shift stops are built internal to the T3650, and using the ones in the shifter can cause damage to the transmission. Only guys with T45's need the shift stops.

·
Punching Throats
1,246 Posts
ordering mine tonight. Was wondering how long it took it to ship as well as does the gasket stuff your talking about come with the shifter. Getting the Rally Black with silver stripes shift knob as well. Gonna look ****in sweeet!!!!! How much shorter are the shifts from stock????

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Mine came with a little RTV too. And when I ordered mine a few months ago, it was on backorder so it took about a month. I cannot say enough about the customer service though. There are 2 sweet girls that always pick up the phone. Good luck and you WILL enjoy it!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Mine came with a small tube of black RTV, but that was a couple years ago.
Oh yeah, he's getting an MGW. It should come with RTV. I have a Tri-ax and it doesnt come with it.

On a side note. I went to MGW today, its about 20 minutes from where I live. They are the coolest people! They let me take a bunch of items out to my car to see how they looked in place prior to me buying anything. All of their products are super high quality and come with everything you need to install them.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It said mine came with rtv. What are the shift stops? I'm excited to install mine. Sounds really easy

1 - 20 of 28 Posts